over weight and trying to get pregnant???

I could not find a topic from the menu where to place my question!
I have been marriage 6yrs, at the beginning we said we wanted to wait until we had accomplish some of our goals first and had time to share together and had fun as a marriage couple… because usually we hear that people kept saying that have fun before kids and so on…. So after a while of not getting pregnant I started thinking this year, wow so now what??? We want kids and why they have not come to our life yet.. so we started working on our homework this year, but once on a Dr visit for not even pregnancy issues, he said that I had to check up on my weight cause I was too young and it could be hard to plan a family because of my weight. So I started thinking about it , so I requested a Dr appt for this month... I will like to know about your personal point of view, if you have experience on this topic 

Thanks

Replies

• Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    I do think it can affect you, but it's not impossible. I was 261 pounds when I got pregnant with my daughter. But it probably prevented me from becoming pregnant before that.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    it can hinder you for sure. Have you been checked for PCOS? It could just not be your time yet. My one friend was heavier, and she tried for 7 years before they got pregnant with their first one.
  • bellabijou
    bellabijou Posts: 82 Member
    My very good friend was 258 pounds (5'4) when she got married, and they tried to have a baby right away. She went through 9 (!!) miscarrages before the doc finally mentioned to her that it could be her weight. So she did weight watchers (before points plus plan) and lost 75 lbs ( all the meanwhile putting of the trying to get pregnant). Then, as soon as they started trying again, BAM!
    She has since had 2 healthy pregnancies ( no miscarrages inbetween) and has managed to keep the weight off.

So I guess the moral of the story is, yes your weight could be getting in the way.
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    My friend was over 300lbs when she got pregnant and had a healthy baby. She was also 36 and was a cancer survivor.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    It took us a long time to get pregnant, and I believe a lot of that difficulty came from my obesity. I dropped 42 lbs before I got pregnant, and I'm really glad that I got pregnant at a healthier weight. Obesity can raise risk of hypertension during pregnancy as well as gestational diabetes. These are very serious problems for both you and your baby.

My recommendation is to try to get to a healthier body size. Get control of your eating habits and exercise habits. Then start trying.
  • I have been over weight with all three of my pregnancy's. My last was 9 months after my 2nd and i was 280 (ugh biggest ever)or so.I think it could hinder your chances,but everyone is different. I did suffer one miscarriage,my first pregnancy actually. I know after my first I lost a great deal of weight and when I got pregnant with my 2nd,I did feel alot better being pregnant because I was not as heavy as my first.You can't go wrong with losing weight before trying to get pregnant.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    http://www.sondrarose.com/optimum-fertility-nutrition
    May be helpful

I think its better to lose some weight before getting pregnant, it may even help with getting pregnant. You still have time on your side as only 26.
  • It took us a long time to get pregnant, and I believe a lot of that difficulty came from my obesity. I dropped 42 lbs before I got pregnant, and I'm really glad that I got pregnant at a healthier weight. Obesity can raise risk of hypertension during pregnancy as well as gestational diabetes. These are very serious problems for both you and your baby.

My recommendation is to try to get to a healthier body size. Get control of your eating habits and exercise habits. Then start trying.

Thanks a lot for your advise :) i ment a lot to me
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    It took us a long time to get pregnant, and I believe a lot of that difficulty came from my obesity. I dropped 42 lbs before I got pregnant, and I'm really glad that I got pregnant at a healthier weight. Obesity can raise risk of hypertension during pregnancy as well as gestational diabetes. These are very serious problems for both you and your baby.

Thanks a lot for your advise :) i ment a lot to me

Just remember to be patient. I'm sure you'll be a wonderful mother someday! :)
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Will be married for almost 5 years and want to get pregnant. I went to the doctor in April and on his scale with all of my clothes and shoes on I was 189 lbs (I weighed in at 183 without clothes before the appt at home). He was worried about my weight and age (I will be 30 in January) and said I needed to lose weight for my future baby and make that my motivation. We have been trying since June 10th. I started my weight loss journey in April 2012 after seeing him and the weight have been coming off soooo slowly!!!! Add me!!!!! :smile:
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    I would get checked for pcos. I got diagnosed a year ago. We've been trying for 2 years. Now I'm putting that on hold and focusing on losing weight. I'm at 224 5'4. I also had a friend that tried for 5 years and she already had a kid at the time. She didn't get pregnant till she got down to 195. I think weight can affect it. Work with me to lose weight and maybe our dreams of motherhood will come true. :) I'll send you a request.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Just because the OP is overweight does not mean she has PCOS. It's just one symptom and it's not even an indicator.

OP you could have trouble falling pregenant. You might not. Until you're trying (and from your post I didn't get that you were actively trying right now. Apologies if that's wrong.) You don't know until you start actively trying. Losing weight before pregnancy certainly won't hurt you. Start taking ore-natal vitamins, start (or continue exercising) and start incorporating healthier rainy habits. Don't eat too low. Talk to your doctor and Ultimatly good luck!
  • I use an app called "Period Diary Pro" for the iTouch. It is convenient to use to predict things like when you are going to menstrate as well as your ovulation and when your fertile window is.

I noticed in Walgreens the other day that they do sell a men's fertility test that gives you results right at home, no mailing away for them. That might be something to play with as well.
  • SJP9180
    SJP9180 Posts: 10 Member
    I was 180lbs when I fell pregnant with my son. 3 years later I'm down to 160lbs with a goal of 20lbs to lose and we are trying for baby number two. It's taken 6 months so far and I never expected it to happen in month 1.

Patience and enjoying life is the key. It's so easy to get worked up when your period arrives each month, but that is only going to prevent you from getting pregnant.

Good luck. x
  • CheezPuff89
    CheezPuff89 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm with a fertility clinic, and I actually asked about my weight, at no point before or after has it been brought up (at least yet). You should know that infertility is extremely common, I think the odds are 1 in 6 couples (defined usually as actively trying for at least 1 year or more). I've been told that one third of the time it is the woman, one third is the man, and one third it is both. I was eventually 242lbs at 5' 3" during the first year we tried, am now 213.4lbs. The issue is not me, though at first I was positive it was. To make sure I did not have an issue too I've had all the fun invasive tests and 9 blood tests and everything is exactly as it should be. Not one of the many doctors have said boo-hiss about my weight. When I asked our doctor about my weight being a problem, she said it *can* make it harder to concieve and it *can* increase the risk of miscarriage, so if I continue losing before treatment that would be great. But in no way was this said in a "No, you're screwed, don't even bother" kind of way.

During pregnancy it can be an issue, like increased risk of pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes, but again, even slim women can get these problems. Losing weight can before getting pregnant can only be a good thing, and it helps pave the path for better eating while pregnant. I hope this happens for you soon, I know how frustrating it can be.