'Eat more'? Research, or personal success/failure stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pro and I don't have any links, but this happened to me:

I went on vacation a few weeks ago and did no exercise, and it made me feel ****ty. When my vacation was over, I started working out more and also eating more (I like to eat back my exercise calories). I was netting about 1000 calories a day but really eating like 1500-1600 a day.

Recent;y I've gotten lazier but the entire time I was doing that, my weight was dropping consistently, like 0.2 or 0.3 lbs every single day. Now I'm back to starving at 1200 calories a day and I've actually gone up about a lb or 2 in the last 2 days.

It's GARBAGE I know!
    Eating more and exercising more, is better than eating less, and no exercise.
    Your body gets better and you get more nutrients. You need this!

I think there is a confusion though: I think some people think they can JUST eat more and lose weight faster. Obviously that's not how it works or else we would all be supermodels!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info so far. Quite happy to hear personal experiences; sure I won't "value" it quite as much as specific research (though often that may not be valued too high), but with a bit of background it's useful to see what has worked for other people.

I should clarify that I'm happy with my total weight loss and continuing progress: around 50lb in 3 months or so and with slightly increased strength. While getting down to around 15% body fat now I expect it to get harder, but not too worried if what I'm doing is still working. I was on 1300 calories initially, but decided to up the calories and add in more protein to try and make use of some of the 'work' I've been doing - thus signing up here in the first place.

I am well aware of the way starving yourself can lead to lack of motivation, thus lower total calories burnt as well as exercise goals not reached - so far that hasn't been a big problem for me. That it's my own business the manual work I've been doing is for probably helps :).

Given the choice, I'd certainly prefer to be doing exercise I enjoy along with eating more food I enjoy. So certainly agree with Kate's point - if I could get the same results (seems unlikely, but maybe) with eating more, I'd be very happy to do so.
    I would like to 'experiment', but I'd also like to get to my goal quickly so I can then go on to a 'bulk' phase where I get to eat even more :).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have read that previously cheers; just skimmed it again.

He does mention a personal case where it worked for him (his wife), but not any studies etc.

His assertion that the body 'tries to maintain fat' the more you reduce your calories does not hold true for me at least - I'm sure for some it does.