Cardio & Strength?

Hey yo! Okay, so my goal this summer was to lose weight (of course) and tone up muscles. I have lost about 8 pounds, and DEFINITELY toned up my muscles. But, as someone who likes to challenge me brought up- I'm doing it wrong. When I go to the gym, I do an hour of cardio and an hour of strength. He says I should be burning off the fat with cardio, cross fit, etc, and then when I get leveled off, start building muscle.
I love strength training, immensely. But, he has a good point. HELPPP!!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Found something that works for you? Stick with it.
  • Lyndsgirl
    Lyndsgirl Posts: 26 Member
    That's what I told him. I haven't lost as much as I would like, but my mind set at the beginning of summer was to be "pretty and skinny" like all the other girls. Then I realized I love weights. hahaha
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    If you love strength training immensely like you just said, then do it. I train twice a week for now and do cardio for 20 minutes post-workout. Non-training days I do about 30 mins of HIIT. If you want to lift weights, you don't have to wait to start. In fact, the sooner you start, the faster you'll see results. Have fun with it!!
  • Lyndsgirl
    Aww thanks for your help :)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    In my humble opinion, you're doing great. You can do weights plus cardio. That'll actually get you to your goal faster. Think of the fat layer like this: Cardio burns the fat from the outside in and strength training burns the fat from the inside out.
  • The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Def do strength training too, especially if you love it!!! It's good for you and burns a lot of calories and will speed up your metabolism for a few days after you train. Plus once you lose the weight, you'll already have a lot of muscle tone!!! Keep it up!!! :)
  • Lyndsgirl
    Thank you all! :)
  • skulcherry
    skulcherry Posts: 25 Member
    Hello everyone I am new to this site been here since Monday. I like most of you have yoyo'd my weight for most of my life. I have now at 38 decided that I am done with this weight and am ready to live healthy. I am training so that I can join the roller derby league in Phoenix.

Lyndsgirl you are doing everything right! strength training is essential to loosing weight. The more muscle you have the better your metabolize will work. That means when you are just sitting your body will be burning more calories. Building muscle while loosing weight will also help to tighten your skin so you don't have loose skin. You have found the perfect combination so keep doing your thing girl! :happy: :happy: :tongue:

Anyone looking for friends and support feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • Lyndsgirl
    Thanks chicka!! :))
  • Garethkk
    Garethkk Posts: 21
    Sounds to me like you're already doing it right and in fact could probably teach your friend a thing or two!
  • So, Here is my 2 cents! You are absolutely doing the right thing by excercising and lifting weights! Way to go! However, I have read that while you are cutting calories to lose weight, you cannot "build UP" your muscles. I don't think that means you cannot work them out to make them stronger (although I am not an expert). If you want the big guns, your friend may be correct in saying you will need to eat at a defecit to lose the fat first, then increase your calories so you can gain muscle. With that being said, I do not at all think you are doing it wrong. Keep doing what you are doing and revise your nutrition when the time comes to stop losing fat and start building muscle. ***Disclaimer*** I am just interpreting what I have read and researched and I am absolutely not an expert. Just trying to give some food for thought~Cheers and good luck!
  • Lyndsgirl
    Thanks guys! :)
  • Cassandram333
    Cassandram333 Posts: 36 Member
    My partner is a personal trainer and he does one day cardio one day weights with me, so as you lost the weight, you tone up aswell. aboslutely doing the right thing. if you jsut did cardio, you would lose muscle mass and it would look stupid. keep doing what ur doing!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Just something to think about...you only burn calories when DOING cardio the hour or 1/2 hr you exercise... training with weights? You will burn more calories more often just resting..

I..personally think less is more on cardio..even during weight loss... I do 3 hrs a week cardio..and 3-4 hours on weight training..Cardio is great for your heart..keeping things pumping etc..but it will NOT reshape your body..this is coming from previously doing 6 hrs a week cardio and weight training for 1/2 hour each day.. since I switched it up..and am actually doing less? I am getting more results than I did in the 4 months time of the prior set up schedule..

just my 2 cents ;)
  • Lyndsgirl
    Impressive, thanks!
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    You are on the right track. I strongly suggest you look into creating a few circuit routines. It's time efficient and incorporates strength, flexibility and cardio in the same workout.

Also, only step on the scale once a week AND take measurements of your biceps, waist, and thighs every two weeks. Why? Sometimes the scale can cause serious dismay even though you've been good and working hard. Check out the measurements and you will be happy to see you have been replacing light fluffy fat with heavier lean muscle. It is a good feeling to know you are shrinking even though the scale didn't budge. It can make the difference between sticking to your program or heading to the fridge to eat your feelings.