Motivation from tragedy?

Options
Just wondering, has anyone else felt extremely motivated after a family tragedy? My gramma passed away this morning after a 6 month battle with both brain and lung cancer. I knew for 6 months that this day would come and I think it helped prepare me a bit, today I feel more motivated then ever to get healthy. I feel motivated to do anything I can to help raise cancer awareness, to participate to raise money. My first run will be a 5k on September 30th called the Run for the cure. My main goal I want to hit is in June 2013, I registered for a 225KM bike ride called the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I want to make my Gramma proud and keep her memory alive.

Has anyone else had such motivation?

Replies

• Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.
    I got the same way, after found out my sister in law was diagnosed with breast cancer. Started to take a serious look at my health, weight, overall eating etc. big eye opener.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My father passed away in February due to complications of diabetes. I realized that this was not a path that I wanted to follow. Still a ways to go but on my way!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I should have said this first, I am so sorry for your loss:flowerforyou:
  • cjmcmillan
    cjmcmillan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you loss! I lost my mother to bone cancer on May 1st. On May 14, I started MFP and I am down 32 lbs. I have known for ages that I needed to do something about my weight but never had the motivation until now. I hate that it took my mother dying to kick start my weight loss, but I know that she would be so proud of me.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So sorry for you loss! I lost my mother to bone cancer on May 1st. On May 14, I started MFP and I am down 32 lbs. I have known for ages that I needed to do something about my weight but never had the motivation until now. I hate that it took my mother dying to kick start my weight loss, but I know that she would be so proud of me.

Yes she would!! I know I am proud of you:-)
  • cjmcmillan
    cjmcmillan Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Yes she would!! I know I am proud of you:-)

Thank you! :smile:
  • vivie72
    vivie72 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My niece passed away after a life long illness at 16. It will be 4 years on Christmas. My change has been slow but her death was my motivation. She never really got to live and I felt selfish for wasting mine. I have more to go but I am working on other demons along the way.

I am sorry for your loss.
  • petr165
    petr165 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just wondering, has anyone else felt extremely motivated after a family tragedy? My gramma passed away this morning after a 6 month battle with both brain and lung cancer. I knew for 6 months that this day would come and I think it helped prepare me a bit, today I feel more motivated then ever to get healthy. I feel motivated to do anything I can to help raise cancer awareness, to participate to raise money. My first run will be a 5k on September 30th called the Run for the cure. My main goal I want to hit is in June 2013, I registered for a 225KM bike ride called the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I want to make my Gramma proud and keep her memory alive.

Has anyone else had such motivation?

I began working out once high school got out and proceeded to lose around 60lbs during the 2011 year. My sister passed away in Sept and I began a binge and pot fest I couldn't come out of. I finally realized that I need to man up and continue on living the best life I can achieve...especially since I feel as I am living for two.
  • petr165
    petr165 Posts: 5
    Options
    And I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.