Can I still BBQ?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why would you even own a grill if you don't eat meat? :noway:
    My girlfriend eats meat, my family eats meat, and i got the grill when i still ate meat.

I knew there was an explanation in there somewhere! :laugh:
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    I love this group!

Friend me .. except the meat hater .. hahaha
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't scoff, but try a milder fish like tilapia, grouper, swai. Great low Cal way to punch up flavor is to smear/ rub yellow mustard all over both sides of the fish and then lightly season with pepper or garlic or lemon... wrap in foil completely and bake in oven at 350 for 20 minutes or on grill until opaque all the way thru. No need for butter for flavor-- the mustard gives a nice mild tang without fat or sugars. Also try trilling salmon or tuna versus baking it-- the nice char flavor really makes a difference!! Trust me-- I used to dislike fish for the same reason as you and NOW I love it!!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I love marinated chicken breasts and pork chops with the fat cut off. very few calories for what you eat so it's really filling. also like marinating chicken in jerk and put on a skewer witjh veggies. you can have a lot so it tricks your mind! works with me anyway! :-)
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    BTW. for people that are like me and love red meat.. when we cook kabobs I put only the veggies on some skewers, and only meat on others. that way i can give the veggies enough time to be perfectly cooked and the red meat can be cooked to Medium rare (thats how we like it) same is true for chicken, i can cook it so that its fully cooked but not dried out as can happen when you cook it with the veggies.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    I'm a meatatarian ... Im not sure I can stop that. I love cookouts.

My favs to make are: fajitas, sausage, brisquet, some chicken and of course the usual burgers and dogs.

What are some healthier choices I can toss on my grill?

Fajitas are a regular around here. Just keep it to one or two and don't overfill them. We also still do sausages, burgers (although now they're turkey) and chili cheese dogs. For me, it's all about portion control. i.e., ONE chili cheese dog instead of two. Don't deprive yourself, just find a balance that works for you. :drinker:
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Fish, especially salmon, maybe portabello mushrooms
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    I love marinated chicken breasts and pork chops with the fat cut off. very few calories for what you eat so it's really filling. also like marinating chicken in jerk and put on a skewer witjh veggies. you can have a lot so it tricks your mind! works with me anyway! :-)

Hey anybody that has lost 72lbs is someone I listen to!

Great suggestion
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    I'm a meatatarian ... Im not sure I can stop that. I love cookouts.

My favs to make are: fajitas, sausage, brisquet, some chicken and of course the usual burgers and dogs.

What are some healthier choices I can toss on my grill?

Fajitas are a regular around here. Just keep it to one or two and don't overfill them. We also still do sausages, burgers (although now they're turkey) and chili cheese dogs. For me, it's all about portion control. i.e., ONE chili cheese dog instead of two. Don't deprive yourself, just find a balance that works for you. :drinker:

WORD!

Wait.. people in VA knwo what Fajitas are ?
    AWESOME!

When I was stationed in Seattle they didnt have a clue what I was talking about. That made me a SAD PANDA.. lol
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    Fish, especially salmon, maybe portabello mushrooms

Cant do fish .. just cant.

Cod I can do .. and that's about it.

If it smells fishy .. or tastes fishy .. No Dice.

Just a mental block when it comes to that. Thus, no sushi ..
    Don't care of its not trendy.. and I know fish has benefits .. I just can't do it.

No use in eating something thats just going to make me vomit.

Brisquet .. turkey...maybe even buffalo are the new things I'm trying this weekend.
    Pork chops, skinless chicken and possibly something else are for next weekend.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip, whatever you do end up BBQing, also throw some courgettes on the grill. I think you call them zuccini in America.

Just slice them lengthways into four chunks, give them a good grilling, and what starts as a dull and fairly unpleasantly flobbledy dobbledy vegetable ends up as being filling and utterly delicious! :bigsmile:
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as a healthy meat!!! Even lean meats will give you atherosclerosis.

no
    A very well thought out and well articulated point. Thank you for your input.

I can completely understand that an adult might choose to not eat meat for a number of reasons -- but the statement that there is no such thing as healthy meat is false. We are evolved omnivores and in many real ways our digestive systems are built for the consumption of meat. Indeed, many vegetarians/vegans should or require various vitamin (iron) or protein supplements (not all proteins are the same and vegetable proteins don't always do the job) . It is also ill advised for any person under 22 years of age to cut meat protein out of their diets as certain proteins are necessary for complete and healthy brain development. Again, all that said if you need or want to cut all meat from your diet go for it -- but it is certainly not necessary for a healthy life style.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I know it's starchy, but I love corn on the cob, and you can leave it in it's husk and throw it right on the grill. Just soak it in cold water for about 15 minutes, shake off the excess water, removes the silk only, and throw it on the grill for about 15 minutes. Some people peel back the husks and rub some butter or seasoning on the corn, but I don't. I like it just how it is (I did grow up on the farm and yes I would eat corn on the cob raw right off the stalk, so) plus cutting the butter cuts calories.

All the other suggestions are awesome too. I'm thinking I'm gonna be grilling this weekend, as it is my last weekend before I head back to work! Good luck with your grilling ventures ;).
  • tabsciulla
    Options
    You can still do it all too, if you chose just in moderation. And you can change it up. you can toss some grilled shrimp on the bqq and toss those into fajitas or chicken or even beef just portion control and rather than smothering it in sauces or others things just flavor it in other ways.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well like u I'm a meat eater I try to become vegetarian a one point of my life which was a good thing
    I eat all kinds of veggies now try turkey burger, I like low fat hot dogs made of beef or chicken, sorry but I love salmon, and mahi mahi burger. I like my beef lean, lean pork I do not like to see fat in my meat and lots of roasted veggies like zuchinni, eggplant, asparagus onions I also like BBQ peaches, nectarine, mangos
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    BBQ is one of my favorite ways to have a low-cal healthy meal. We do corn on the cob, as a previous post talked about. One of my other favorites is to cut up some onions, red potatoes, parsley, etc. wrap it in foil and grill for about 20 minutes. Also kabobs with mushrooms, green pepper, pineapple, etc. I do BBQ tofu, but that's not for everyone. Add some grilled chicken or lean steak and you have a low cal healthy meal.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I love meat. Big thick meat. Yum.

hmmm...how you doin? :smokin:
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to give up the sausages except for when you get a treat. Sorry brother.

I have to disagree. I haven't given up sausages. I just eat one serving now instead of 10.

If it's BBQ though, then it HAS to be ribs. And if it's grilling, then I prefer a burger or chicken. And yes, there's a difference between grilling and real BBQ. Google it if you're interested. :wink:

I disagree too. I still have them! I just have 1 now. Not 4 like I used to xD they aren't a whole day's worth of calories. Can easily fit them into a meal :D
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love grilled food!

I still eat burgers, chicken, shrimp, hot dogs, and brats on the grill :) just have to work them into my calorie goal :D

I also love grilled veggies. Onions and peppers being my fav on the grill :)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    you can always grill fat free hot dogs because it doesn't get much better than a good grilled dog. We also grill fish, lean pork (marinated in fat free italian dressin), chicken, shrimp, scallops, and veggies.