Thanks for the 20lbs, grad school.

Options
shanpwn
shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
Hey there. So, I'm not new to MFP but new to the forums. I'm a 26 yr old PhD student, and I have grad school to thank for needing to lose weight. I was overweight in high school, but moved out and learned to cook for myself at 18 and dropped 50lbs. In college I was in great shape. I ran and also worked as a server/bartender full time. When I stopped serving my senior year and moved to a city where it wasn't safe to run outside, I quickly gained 20lbs back.

Grad school is mostly sedentary, but I'm super lucky to be in a place now that's safe and has a gorgeous nature trail nearby, so running has come back to me. I started lifting heavy in February, but never cleaned up my diet. A trip to central Turkey for fieldwork brought me down 5 lbs from hiking and climbing, and since then I've lost more with consistent exercise and finally calculating my macros.

I'd love to make friends! I'm very artsy, kinda gothy, a big metalhead and a huge reader, but you don't have to be any of those things! I love cooking, extreme music, and craft beer too. Let's e-hang.

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and good luck on the rest of your journey.
    You look fantastic in your picture, I'd say you're doing pretty well!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'll add you!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Well grad school was just paying you back for all the money you gave it, I mean it's only fair :tongue:
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh good god, it's Lready paid me back with other grief!