2»

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Corn = nom nom nom. Good stuff.
  • emnpepper
    emnpepper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My perfect winter snack is a microwaved corn cob - I just microwave it with the husks on, 1.5 mins then rotate 180 degrees and then another 1.5mins. Peel off the husks to a perfectly cooked corn cob - no butter or salt or pepper - I love it plain :-) I've greatly reduced my bread intake since starting MFP so im not really worried about the carbs in corn - its better for me than bread
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I believe GMO's could be a huge problem for mankind, and I avoid them as much as possible -- which is becoming increasingly hard. There is simply not enough research to know if they are safe. Since they have been introduced into our food supply, we have seen great increases in: Obesity. ADD. ADHD. Allergies. Until it can be proven by non-partial scientists to be safe, I don't want them in my system.

Corn is one of the foods that has the most genetic tinkering. There is almost no corn available that is not GMO. As previously mentioned, even the seeds available are GMO.

In addition to the GMO concern, corn is high on the glycemic index. This means that eating corn raises your blood sugar, increasing the release of insulin. This increases belly fat, causes food cravings, and contributes to diabetes. (Look up glycemic index to have a better definition; I'm tired tonight.)

Have it for a special treat, but avoid it as a regular staple in your meal plans ... which is hard to do, unless you avoid processed foods, and corn syrup is found everywhere.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you mean "vege" as vegetable, sadly, corn is a grain, not a vegetable.

It you're going to eat it, try to get it from a local non GMO organic farm. There are still some around. Pretty tasty too.
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    Most corn is genetically modified these days. Be sure to check to see if it's organic. Doubt it will be. Corn is all screwed up now. I personally won't touch it unless I grew it myself. But even so, the seeds you buy from a garden store could also be GMO. UGHHH!!! Google it! There's tons of information on genetically modified corn and soy. I stay away from both!

Lots of things are genetically modified. Depends, really, on how you define 'genetic modification'. By some definitions, you could include grapes, watermelon, tomatoes, and a million other things. Regardless... most of the negative hype you hear about GMOs is just alarmist baloney. I've never seen any data to suggest that the GMOs in our food supply are harmful to humans. They do have other problems (example: being overly aggressive and out-competing non-modified plants... ), but there's really no justifiable reason to be scared of them.

Interesting opinion. But can you tell me if GMO's aren't harmful, then why is Monsanto giving 4.2 MILLION dollars to defeat Californians' right to know what's in their food? Other major new contributions against Proposition 37 (California GMO labeling) were given by E. I. Dupont de Nemours ($1,273,600), Dow Agrosciences ($1,184,800) and PepsiCo ($1,126,079). If GMO's aren't harmful then why have FIFTY (50) countries, including France, Germany and Italy banned or restricted GMO's while the United States doesn't even require labeling? Why can't we know what's in our food, and where it came from if GMO's aren't harmful? Personally, I don't think "natural flounder" created by genetic engineering is actually "natural", yet that's what the package says. I prefer to eat things that were actually made by nature. K thanks.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't do grains, either from the weight management perspective or general health.
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    delicious bbq'd, but not easily digestible unless you chew it up real good.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    The strange thing about corn is no matter how you eat it, it will always come back out on the cob ;-)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's not a vegetable, it's a grain and should be treated as one. It's good, but keep another vegetable on your plate too. I HIGHLY recommend only buying organic corn of any kind because the majority of corn now is genetically modified to contain pesticides. If something is designed to kill whatever eats it, I'm not going to eat it. Just something to keep in mind...
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I believe GMO's could be a huge problem for mankind, and I avoid them as much as possible -- which is becoming increasingly hard. There is simply not enough research to know if they are safe.

Respectfully, there's plenty of research on GMOs and we DO know when they are safe for consumption. Every GMO that enters our food supply is tested by independent researchers and scrutinized by the FDA.

Please realize that your body sees protein as protein, carbs as carbs, fat as fat, regardless of the genetic code of the animal/plant being consumed.

In my opinion, the only possible danger to humans from GMOs comes from genetic modifications that cause the plant to produce antibiotics, antifungals, or other such compounds that could enter our blood stream via the same mechanism that pharmaceuticals enter when taken in pill form. However, these types of plants would be carefully regulated.

For me personally, I don't worry about eating a GMO. I DO worry about the wisdom of growing overly aggressive plants from an environmental/horticulture stand point, but that's a whole different ball game than food consumption.

Now... with all that said... I suppose there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution. It's highly unlikely anyone will ever be harmed by eating a GMO, but if you never eat one, then you've got a 0% chance of being harmed by one.

Oh yah... as for the increase in obesity, etc.. that you mention... correlation is not causation. There are many many many many many variables that impact human health. It's pretty difficult to pick just one thing and say "Ah ha!!!! There's the villain".
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    [Lots of things are genetically modified. Depends, really, on how you define 'genetic modification'. By some definitions, you could include grapes, watermelon, tomatoes, and a million other things. Regardless... most of the negative hype you hear about GMOs is just alarmist baloney. I've never seen any data to suggest that the GMOs in our food supply are harmful to humans. They do have other problems (example: being overly aggressive and out-competing non-modified plants... ), but there's really no justifiable reason to be scared of them.

Interesting opinion. But can you tell me if GMO's aren't harmful, then why is Monsanto giving 4.2 MILLION dollars to defeat Californians' right to know what's in their food? Other major new contributions against Proposition 37 (California GMO labeling) were given by E. I. Dupont de Nemours ($1,273,600), Dow Agrosciences ($1,184,800) and PepsiCo ($1,126,079). If GMO's aren't harmful then why have FIFTY (50) countries, including France, Germany and Italy banned or restricted GMO's while the United States doesn't even require labeling? Why can't we know what's in our food, and where it came from if GMO's aren't harmful? Personally, I don't think "natural flounder" created by genetic engineering is actually "natural", yet that's what the package says. I prefer to eat things that were actually made by nature. K thanks.

Ahhhh... Monsanto. Not my favorite company. I'm not a fan of bullies. BUT I don't buy the conspiracy theories. I have faith in the scientific process. I'm part of it. For every unethical researcher willing to sell their soul to the almighty dollar, there's a dozen or more people like me who are genuinely dedicated to the truth and to improving human health.

Of course some of us are being driven out due to lack of funding... but that's a rant for another day.

We could certainly improve the way we handle things. Certainly, transparency (aka labels) is a good thing. And I'm not a fan of lobbying when it comes to medicine and agriculture... but there's really no need for the fear mongering either.

France, Germany, and all those other countries have there reasons for banning GMOs. There reasons are likely part political, part financial, part mistrust of the United States, part liking to do things their own way, and probably even part science. As I mentioned, there IS science that suggests GMOs are not a wise move for our environment... and who knows... maybe they've chosen to believe the scary-pseudo-science that so many believe when it comes to GMOs.

The United States FDA disagrees with those other countries. I tend to trust the FDA. They usually get it right (which is why their mistakes are such big news). They're not infallible. No human organization is. But... eh... they do alright. You have noticed that there are a lot of medicines legal in France and Germany and other places that aren't legal here, right? It's because the FDA is pretty strict about what it approves.