Yo yo dieter attempting again and asking advice?

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm 28, and just discovered that I weigh much more than I thought. That, and with some physical problems that have come with that weight gain, have decided to - yet again - attempt to lose weight. My long-term goal is 160~ish, but if I can manage to get back down to 200 by the end of the year, that'll be fabulous. (That's 40 pounds)

I'm a pharmacy technician, so I stand around a lot, mostly in one place. What I'm curious to know is, does anyone have any suggestions for exercises someone can do while just standing around?

And - I am horrible at breakfast. Absolutely horrible. And also picky. What are your favorite picks for a quick breakfast?

It's nice to meet you all, and good luck to you all in your goals!

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    google.com > type in 'exercises while standing'

squats are good. walking in place. jump rope.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter on whole wheat toast with sliced banana on top with a hardboiled egg. Really easy to make and quick to eat. I'm a SAHM but my son doesn't let me have the time to make complicated meals (unless my partner is home to keep him occupied).

Also, smoothies are great. You can separate the ingredients into baggies ahead of time, throw them in the freezer, and then put them in the blender/Magic Bullet with a bit of milk or juice (and a scoop of protein powder if you are so inclined - I have a MB so I only use half a scoop because otherwise it way overpowers it) and bam! You've got breakfast!
  • BoomerAngel
    Options
    I also have a tough time with breakfast. For some reason, I cannot stand to eat food when I first wake up; yet, it is so important to getting our metabolism going. I have a couple of things I do to deal with my personal lack of appetite for breakfast....#1) a boiled egg, or #2) one egg-over-easy with one piece of 100% whole grain (small slice) bread, or #3) my most likely choice daily....a small protein shake. I usually go with option #3 most days, and then have a boiled egg an hour or so later. Great questions you asked....good luck!
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    My main advice to a yo-yo dieter is to log EVERYTHING, even when you're eating bad (because we all mess up).

You'll find that just the act of logging will cause you to eat less and probably healthier.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Any time you are up and moving, you're burning calories. Wiggling your hips, doing a little dance in place, that's all burning a few extra calories. Even if you swing your legs while you're sitting (crossed legged), or move around while you're sitting (you know, those people who just can't sit still- they're burning a few cals there too). Just the act of standing burns calories. But it's not cardio so it's not helping you get your heart rate up. Try parking far out, taking stairs, taking a walk during your lunch, anything that isn't just sitting idly or sleeping will help you burn a few extra.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Boomer- try a little fresh fruit or some carrot sticks- it's really light and a nice way to get your metabolism going in the morning (blueberries, strawberries- soooo healthy for you). Some people say a piece of toast helps (it's light and helps soak up the tummy acids that build over night). There's a grewat bread by Nature's Own that's only 40 cals a slice!
  • caffeinic
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, guys!