Flip flops

Options

Replies

• poshcouture
    Options
    Flip Flops were meant to wear to the shower or around the pool. Not every day, every where, every occasion.
    In Chas.SC we wear Flip flops every day,every where & For every occasion.Except the gym:):ohwell:

I happen to love flip-flops. I stock up on the ones from Old Navy every summer. But I agree...they're not exactly made for the gym. But I Turbo Fire barefoot baby! LIKE A BOSS!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If it is just for a walk on the treadmill, why not. I happen to find them very comfortable for walking. If it is for weights or running, then it's not so smart.
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness,and they don't allow flip flops.I am a real fan of them,but I would never even attempt to wear them while exercising.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

With that stick up there it must get real tough to sit sometimes.

^this... haha!!!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Every-day wear flip flops are the devil. I hate when I can't get to where I'm going because there is a flock of girls in flip flops walking slowly because flip flops are not made for walking. Down with flip flops, up with normal sandals!

You should see my six year old daughter run in her flip flops.

MIND_8c3946_1574617.gif&sa=X&ei=d9gsUOOVF4nkygHxuoGQBg&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHOMV84qQPQ0TmCvo8FThd5WzOz2A
  • dinosnopro
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness,and they don't allow flip flops.I am a real fan of them,but I would never even attempt to wear them while exercising.

They don't allow anything, do they?
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Every-day wear flip flops are the devil. I hate when I can't get to where I'm going because there is a flock of girls in flip flops walking slowly because flip flops are not made for walking. Down with flip flops, up with normal sandals!

They're not slow because they're wearing flipflops, they're slow because they're a flock of girls. My kids walk just fine in them. Of course they know better than to go slow when they're with me. I don't do slow except at the beach.

Or slow because they are texting and walking at the same time ;)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I saw some woman wearing them while riding her bike (in traffic), today, and I couldn't help but think that she'd probably have been better off just pedaling barefoot. I'd be terrified to try and pedal down a busy street with those on. They're really not that great for your feet, either, particularly if you're doing something like running. You actually probably would be better off just going barefoot in that situation.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I live in Ohio and wear my flip flops pretty much year around, and even in the winter. I've even gotten on the treadmill with them.
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    Flip Flops were meant to wear to the shower or around the pool. Not every day, every where, every occasion.

With that stick up there it must get real tough to sit sometimes.

:)
  • gobifree59
    gobifree59 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Never saw that in my gym---they only have a sign that says "no boots" in the weight room! My chiropractor told me "absolutely no flip flops!" He has seen more people who fell and did damage because of them. I'm a klutz as it is, so I only wear them in the shower at the gym.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I know a bunch of people who hate flip flops with a passion and for some reason, they can rant about them for ages. Personally, I don't really care much or think they're that inappropriate for most occasions. But wearing them to the gym seems a bit of a silly idea as far as safety goes. To each their own, I guess.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else seen people at the gym on the treadmill or elliptical in flip flops? I'm not talking sandals with a strap to hold them on, but full-on flip flops. Wouldn't that just make it so much more difficult to work out? I don't get it.

Flip flops can make you fall and injury yourself. You don't know how many times I have tripped
    on a carpet from flip flops. Sandles in general will tighten your lower back. Talking from experience.
    I would think kind of dangerous. Just my opinion.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor told me "absolutely no flip flops!" He has seen more people who fell and did damage because of them.

My podiatrist hates them with a passion, but likewise they keep him in business with lots of overweight, flatfooted, overpronating ladies crying about plantar faciitis!
  • ItsDawnMarie
    ItsDawnMarie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have not seen this, but I have gone for my 5 miles walks wearing flip flops.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That's so weird. How is that even comfortable?

I can't wear flip flops, anyway. They're bothersome, being all in between my toes and such.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I think the only shoe I hate even more than flip flops is when I see oversized trotters in teeny, flat as a pancake, "ballerina" shoes, giving most women the gait of a pregnant duck, whilst walking virtually on the inside of their ankles. It's painful just to watch.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    That's just one of the thousands of things that people do that has absolutely no impact on my life.

Amen.

I keep hearing how the world is such a bad place. There's war. And a bad economy. And this. And that. But no matter how bad we've got it, there's time in the day to debate wearing flip flops at the gym. Sometimes I wonder what the generations who had to face the Great Depression or World War II would think about our "problems."

And yet you both had time in your day to click this thread, read it, and comment on it. I'm sorry, but there's a reason this board is called "Chit-chat, fun, and games". I never said that flip flops on an elliptical were a threat to national security, I was just curious if anyone had an idea why people do this, or if it's just 'oops I forgot I was going to the gym and didn't bring the right shoes'.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you travell to any place that has any kind of real history, you will find it was built by people wearing flip-flops (in style if not name) from ancient Rome to Egypt, they were around long before the indoor plumbing was considered sanitary.
  • dinosnopro
    Options
    Never saw that in my gym---they only have a sign that says "no boots" in the weight room! My chiropractor told me "absolutely no flip flops!" He has seen more people who fell and did damage because of them. I'm a klutz as it is, so I only wear them in the shower at the gym.

My chiropractor wears them almost exclusively.