Low-cal frozen dinners-help!

Options
I need some help guys! I'm a creature of habit and eat the same stuff all the time! I'm trying to shake up my diet a little bit but without having to cook more! I normally cook two separate meals for myself and my hubby, so cooking something else specifically for lunch just isn't going to happen! I'll take leftovers or take in a salad or chicken and veggies for lunch almost every single day! I figure now is the time to enter into the realm of frozen foods! I find them SCARY! :embarassed:

So my question to everyone: What brands do you recommend, what tastes the best, what might be teh healthiest and so on and so on!

Thanks a mil for any and all help-I'm planning to go grocery shopping tomorrow and am looking to have something besides a salad for my lunch tomorrow! :happy:

Replies

• TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I really like Lean Cuisine actually. On nights I have school I get home late and never feel like cooking. The ones I've tried taste really good. The Sesame Chicken Stirfry is SO good. They all usually range from 220-400 calories.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    We personally like the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers line. I really like the Beef w/ Merlot wine sauce It tastes suprising good, seems to fill me up, and has only 240 calories. It does has 600 mg of sodium, however. Thay may or may not be important to you.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    me too, i like lean cuisine. on my gym nights and for lunches. i just try to watch my sodium on those days. the pizza really satisfies my pizza cravings. i also love the turkey stuffing and apples, just like home made.

give em a shot
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    Try Stouffers Skillet Sensations.
    1/2 package only 370 calories.
    I love the Chicken Alfredo.
    I add a salad and I am good to go.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I actually find the Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice dinners to be rather tasty. I suppose it depends on the stores in your location, but I am finding that the stores in this area are carrying less and less Healthy Choice options and more Lean Cuisine. Furthermore, if you ever shop at Safeway, I would highly recommend to be cautious of the "Eating Right" brand of dinners... The calorie counts on that particular brand, to me, seem to be outrageous. At least be sure to check calorie content before selecting anything. (Or fat or whatever nutrional facts your particular diet is based upon.)

Frozen dinners can be very pricey if you're not always able to find them on sale. But they are oh-so convenient and quite satisfying, and it's nice to have them on hand for ease and alternate options.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I really like the Lean Cuisine also. Watch the sodium, but they are really good. I have tried several and liked them all: four cheese cannolini(sp?), chicken enchiladas, paninis, etc. Good luck!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the opposite... make more foods and leftovers to bring for lunch, and do less frozen meals.

I recommend the Healthy Choice All Natural meals. The Portabella Spinach Pasta is delicious. Also the pumpkin ravioli is good too. I also recommend the butternut squash ravioli from lean cuisine.

I tend to avoid the meals with chicken in them, because I don't think the chicken quality it very good. The turkey entrees tend to freeze better, in my opinion so those are good as well. Also, Amy's Organic makes a DELICIOUS black bean and veggie enchilada.

Also, I recommend bringing in organic or low-salt canned soups to have with half of a sandwich or cheese and crackers. Keep in mind that the more protein and fiber that you have at lunch, the longer you will feel full. I definitely recommend eating some raw veggies with your frozen meals. If you have a 300 calorie meal that is just filler, you are going to be hungry again by midafternoon.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I do a bunch of crock pot and casserole cooking on the weekend,

soups, stews, pulled pork, chicken, etc in the crock pot
    lasagna, shepherds pie, chili & rice etc

and then i measure it all out and package it all up in single serving sizes, put a couple in the fridge and some in the freezer, then when i do it the next weekend again i end up with a variety in my freezer to pull out for lunches, and even dinners on my lazy days.

oh i also cook up lean ground beef (or turkey or chicken) with peppers and onions and package that into 1/2 cup servings in baggies, and then i can prep a taco salad or pita/tortilla for either wraps or taco salad. Just pop in in the microwave to nuke it (if you prefer it hot) and then put ontop of prepped wrap or salad.

I also buy roasted chickens (or roast your own) and pull them all apart (again pre measure and bag it if this is easier for you, for salads, wraps, pita pizzas, whatever.

I find frozen dinners too pricey, too much sodium, not filling enough most times considering the cal content, and i don't like the taste of any of the "healthy" ones, the only ones i can really stomach is pasta ones, the so called chicken turns my stomach lol

this way i control whats going in my body, it's yummy and filling!

good luck!
  • bsolivo
    Options
    I suggest Amy's Organic if you don't mind the price. They are the best I've ever had and don't taste like other frozen dinners. They're all organic and vegetarian and some are vegan. I think it's the frozen meat in most frozen dinners that grosses me out, so maybe that's why I like these so much. Plus, they're all natural too. My favorites are all of the Mexican meals - tamales, enchiladas, burritos!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    WOW. Thanks SO much for all the quick responses everyone! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am actually worried about sodium intake-I don't eat a lot of canned soups and particular products just because the sodium tends to really make me puffy. I'm glad that someone mentioned that some of the frozen meals are fairly high. I will definitely be on the lookout!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a "meal" but I buy Green Giant bags of frozen veggies in sauce. I really like broccoli/carrots/cauliflower in cheese sauce. 45 cals for 1/2 cup and not too bad on the sodium. I like to heat them up as an easy side or put them on a baked potato for a meal. Frozen chicken breast and fish are also a quick meal. Just throw them in the oven with some seasonings and voila!

Oh and I really like Lean Cuisine too!
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I just want to say lean cuisines pretty much rock! And they are made pretty well (so says their spokesman on Oprah!) Also healthy choice steamers are delicious! I wor nights so I don't get family dinners these really fill in the blank! Someone mentioned the pumpkin ravioli, that one is on my highly reccomended list!
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like Amy's Organic and Cedar Lane the best. Cedar Lane makes a bean burrito that has lots of fiber and protein and is really filling!
  • haley4tn
    haley4tn Posts: 130
    Options
    If possible I bring left overs from the night before. I use to make the separate dinners too, but realized that I can still have the same foods with my family - I just need to watch portion size.

Lean Cuisine is my top choice if I don't have leftovers, my favorite is the Salisbury Steak w/ Macaroni - it is awesome - 280 calories.

Leftovers are much cheaper way to go, meals can get a little pricey. I try to watch for a sale on them and then load up.

Good Luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Kashi - All Natural frozen meals - they're low cal, high protein and fibre, and pretty darn filling. They're made with whole grains and have no preservatives or artificial ingredients.

I eat one 4 days a week for lunch. The other day is leftovers or soup or sandwich or salad.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice is awesome. I'm warming up one now for my lunch. It's the Country Herb Chicken with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cherry cobbler-- only 240 calories! Many of their entrees are under 400 cals, and always delicious. My favorite include monterrey chicken, sweet & sour chicken, and teriyaki chicken (don't worry, they have things other than chicken).
  • apholland
    Options
    Keep in mind most frozen dinners are very high in sodium. Which even though they are low in calories and fairly low in fat...you will retain water...which doesnt help with losing weight.

Signed,
    A Nutritionist
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    I suggest Smart Ones. They taste the best in my opinion!

Here's a list of my faves.
    Creamy Rigatoni with Chicken and Broccoli
    Enchilade Suiza
    Shrimp Marinara
    Macaroni and Cheese

The Lean Cuisine paninis are all good and the pizzas of every brand are great! I actually feel like I'm eating "real" food when I eat the pizzas.

I always serve myself a side salad or some sort of veggie along with my meal and I serve them on a real plate. (I think it's a mind trick.)

Hope this helps!
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    I also bulk up the frozen meals with about a cup of frozen veggies, to any of the dishes and just add it to the tray. Is more filling and healthy, and cheap if you buy big bags of frozen veggies!
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Amy's. The lasagna is really yummy. :love: Probably high in sodium, however, like many others have mentioned, but I don't eat it very often.