How many calories should I be eating a day?

Options
I don't know how to estimate how "sedentary" I am. I stay at home during the day and do house work, sometimes floor exercises, waiting for my Dad to get home so I can get to the gym. Once I get to the gym I push myself really hard and workout for atleast 80 minutes (an hour of cardio) I do this 6 nights a week. I of course want to lose weight as healthy and as fast as I can. The site said to eat 1,590 calories a day as a goal if I want to lose 2 pounds a week. Should I adjust this?

Replies

• know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Six nights a week of hard gym time is very good!

Did you mark sedentary? I'm no expert, but I believe that's only if you basically have no real exercise. Example: you work in an office, sitting in a chair all day. Go home and sit on the couch watching TV all night. That's what I consider to be sedentary.

In my opinion, hitting the gym 6days/week (which is AWESOME) qualifies as a fairly active lifestyle.
  • tothetide
    tothetide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah I marked sedentary. But then I went back and changed it to lightly or "fairly" active because I am trying to do some sort of exercise during the day.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    or... just leave it at sedentary and log your exercise when you do it. That's what I do. I find it to be more accurate for me.
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    How tall are you? I am 5'4 223 23 years old and this thing recommend 1390 for me so Im wondering why yours is higher. Im trying to lose 88 more pounds. I've been working out 1-1.5 hrs for 4 days a week. I normally eat 1100-1200 cal a day and I lost 6.5 in the last 6 days.
  • tothetide
    tothetide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Take a look as this - Lots of good info on how to find and set your targets.
  • chipmunkey
    chipmunkey Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think the activity level is asking how active are you when you're not exercising (working a desk job vs. bike messenger)? Since you add workouts to the exercise log and the estimated calories burned are added to the calories you can eat, I don't think your workouts should count toward your activity level. There are also lots of threads that talk about BMR and TDEE which can help you when starting out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I am 5'4 223 23 years old and this thing recommend 1390 for me so Im wondering why yours is higher. Im trying to lose 88 more pounds. I've been working out 1-1.5 hrs for 4 days a week. I normally eat 1100-1200 cal a day and I lost 6.5 in the last 6 days.

um you can't lose 6.5 pounds in 6 days doing that lol :p you should weigh daily not weekly