Sodium Sensitivity?

Options
I am fairly new here - been active on MFP for the past month though I've been registered for several months (fell off the wagon a while back...).

Anyway, I think I must have a sensitivity to sodium. Before I started focusing on eating right and exercise, my legs and ankles especially were always swollen. Since I've been tracking my food and working out, the swelling has almost completely disappeared. But on the occasional days (like today) that I get near or go over my sodium limit on my MFP food log (that limit is 2,500) I feel the telltale swelling in my legs coming back. Tonight I was at a birthday party. My food intake was still below my calorie limit (which is 1500 right now) but because the food choices weren't the healthiest, it put the sodium content over my daily limit. Thing is, I know I eat WAY less sodium than most of my family and friends because overall I eat less and I make healthier choices overall. So is there such a thing as sodium sensitivity?

I know keep my food intake as fresh and as clean as possible will help to keep my sodium intake lower...but do you have any other tips for someone who is sensitive to sodium like me?

Replies

• shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Super high water intake is my advice. Flush the sodium out as quickly as possible. I know I overindulge with salt (I am getting better) and I have to just drink a ton of water or I get that bloated/swollen feeling as well. Good luck! Sounds like overall you have solid eating habits!