How to increase my metabolism?

Options
2»

Replies

• thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and advice while i try to navigate through MFP and trying to lose weight healthily. I also found a really good thread relating to eating back your exercise calories if anyone is interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

From what I get out of it, there are many different variables with weight loss, especially for a person who is obese -- I have a BMI of 32 which would fall under this category. From what I take from it, obese folks can handle a much larger deficit than a person who is close to normal weight. But I do agree that I need to give my body time to rest and heal and eat back some of my exercise calories and work for a deficit of 500-700 calories per day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and advice while i try to navigate through MFP and trying to lose weight healthily. I also found a really good thread relating to eating back your exercise calories if anyone is interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

From what I get out of it, there are many different variables with weight loss, especially for a person who is obese -- I have a BMI of 32 which would fall under this category. From what I take from it, obese folks can handle a much larger deficit than a person who is close to normal weight. But I do agree that I need to give my body time to rest and heal and eat back some of my exercise calories and work for a deficit of 500-700 calories per day.

Here's the other thing to keep in mind regarding your smart choice.

Your BMR is over-estimated right now - unless you somehow managed to keep the same ratio of LBM / Fat that the study participants already at healthy weight had in the study that gave the formula for BMR estimate.

So that is one of the saves that automatically happens - you think you are undercutting your BMR perhaps badly, but in reality you are not.

So you are in range to select 2lb loss safely. If you don't spend 8 hrs sitting at work, and then 4hrs sitting at home each night, do not select sedentary, select Lightly Active. And then walk longer from parking, take stairs, ect. All great daily fat-burning activity.

Regarding calorie eat back, trust MFP estimates and eat them all back for exercises that have pace included, walking 4mph, ect, as long as you didn't include an incline that they don't know about.
    But eat back half for any that are totally up to your ability to make it as intense as you want, but the description of that workout is generic - circuit training or such.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1. do not under-eat, your body needs FUEL, calories = fuel. not enough calories = body reading a low fuel sign and will stop burning them as fast = slower weight loss

2. effective and correct exercise plan. every person needs a different type of diet and exercise plan for losing weight. i took a genetic test to find out my personal plan. msg for info on that if ur curious.

3. i take a glucose health pill, which ive heard can help boost metabolism.

4. make sure you eat several smaller meals each day to get your calories, not all at one or two meals.

Doesn't matter when you eat, 10 meals or 1 meal. If both are the same number of calories it makes no difference.

Incorrect. Spreading your caloric intake throughout the day will help boost your metabolism.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat, 10 meals or 1 meal. If both are the same number of calories it makes no difference.

Incorrect. Spreading your caloric intake throughout the day will help boost your metabolism.

Search Google for "study metabolism meal frequency" and be surprise that no studies agree with your point of view.

In actuality, most people that are overweight have sensitivity to insulin to some degree, and more frequent meals keeps it elevated more often. Which just means your are in fat storage mode, carb burning mode, more often or all the time.

Really terrible reason for eating more frequently.
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    increase calories a couple days per week
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Search Google for "study metabolism meal frequency" and be surprise that no studies agree with your point of view.

In actuality, most people that are overweight have sensitivity to insulin to some degree, and more frequent meals keeps it elevated more often. Which just means your are in fat storage mode, carb burning mode, more often or all the time.

Really terrible reason for eating more frequently.

looks like theres actually a lot of studies these days saying it really doesnt make a difference one way or the other because the TEF is still the same. good catch guys, ill stop feeling bad when i have a lazy day and dont make multiple meals like i thought i should. the studies i looked at said you can lose weight either way effectively as long as the intake is correct and you can stick to it. sweet news to my ears.......lots of meals = more work
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and exercising like crazy, why should the body give up fat? It wants to live.

yes
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Keep it up for longer you might not see results straight away, it could be water weight so take measurements and maybe this isnt enough calories for you so increase your calories
  • heybales
    Options
    looks like theres actually a lot of studies these days saying it really doesnt make a difference one way or the other because the TEF is still the same. good catch guys, ill stop feeling bad when i have a lazy day and dont make multiple meals like i thought i should. the studies i looked at said you can lose weight either way effectively as long as the intake is correct and you can stick to it. sweet news to my ears.......lots of meals = more work

Not more work if they are donuts!

Oh said that.