Starting from Square one

Options
What did you do for exercise first starting out? I realize that weightloss isn't exactly supposed to feel comfortable but obviously someone who is starting at 250 pounds probably isn't going to be able to do much of a run.

Did anyone lose any weight swimming laps? Any other suggestions? I hate flopping around everywhere while working out.

Replies

• tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wii tennis and walking, and btw I started over 250 pounds and previously did no exercise.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    walking swimming and water exercises eventually maybe couch to 5k and some light strength training
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I got a very cheap non electronic elliptical and a mini stair climber off Amazon. Also I walked everywhere. That's how I started.

But just FYI, swimming laps is an amazing exercise. It works the entire body and burns calories like no other. Can't go wrong there.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I just walked on my treadmill at a very slow speed. First for ten minutes, then fifteen, twenty, thirty. When I could comfortably do thirty minutes walking without the sweat pouring down my face and feeling like I was going to die, I started putting fifteen seconds of running in for every five minutes walking. Then thirty seconds, I was so pleased when I made it to a minute. I started running one minute for every five minutes walked, then every four minutes, three minutes. Then I tried walking for five minutes, then running for as long as possible, at first it killed me to go more than a minute, then I got to two minutes, then four, then five. Suddenly I could run a mile without stopping! The other day I ran over two miles without stopping. All this is at about 280 pounds. It's not your weight that stops you from running, it's just practise. Start with walking and then try to build up speed and distance. If you are as unfit as I was, you will burn calories whatever exercise you do.

Good luck!
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Walking. Lots of walking. Increase time and speed as you are able, but don't be afraid to challenge yourself too.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the easiest ways to get started.

I highly recommend weight training.

Water aerobics or swimming is great as well.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just started walking. Then I timed my walks. The threw in there some jogging. Now I am up to running. YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I started at 260- I went for a 30-45 minute walk 4 days a week- early in the morning when its quiet cool and beautiful and called it my beautiful zen time. Then three days a week I did the Rael Pilates System 7 (the beginner DVD) and it was so calm and relaxing and I felt myself get a little stronger and stand a little taller each time, and I didnt sweat like a pig, I just started slowly getting to know my body through that video. Recognizing muscles, feeling them pull together to make things happen. 2 years and a hundred pounds lighter, I'll never regret the way I started.

Good luck!
  • shayla21marie
    shayla21marie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! Now just to get over myself being in a swim suit! lol Feel free to add me, Its always great to have friends to hold you accountable