Options
2»

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Katch-McCardle says 1318 cals/day BMR

The MPF thing says 1203 cals/day BMR

I've been using the Katch-McCardle formula (plus an activity factor) all the time for calculating TDEE, deficit days, refeed days, surplus days, and I've been successful with it and found it to be accurate

The MFP one seems to be underestimating my BMR by quite a lot, so I'm assuming that's because I'm large build with quite a lot of muscle. Katch-McCardle uses body fat percentage while the MFP one doesn't. This means it will be underestimating the calorie requirements of everyone who has a low body fat percentage compared to their height and weight, which is the exact same problem as with BMI charts. If you're large build and/or have a lot of muscle, it's going to think you have more body fat than you actually have. In the case of calorie calculations, muscle burns a lot more energy (calories) than fat does, hence why it'll also under-estimate your BMR.

I'm sticking with my calcuations from the Katch-McCardle formula, and using the custom goals settings on MFP to set my calorie goals based on that.
  • psychgirl23
    psychgirl23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'3
    Weight: 125
    BMR: 1276
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 212.8 lb
    BMR: 1,723
  • jinjin8
    jinjin8 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5'8.5 and 100.6kgs, I'm 27

1797 calories per day for my BMR. I tend to average between 1700-1900 calories per day and a bit more on the weekend.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'5
    Weight: 135 lbs
    BMR MFP: 1,283
    BMR Katch McArdle: 1417
    BMR Harris Benedict: 1359

I lost most of my weight netting between 1350-1500, typically eating 1800-2000+ total.

Currently netting 1600 Monday through Friday because I don't log my food on weekends, and summer weekends mean lots of bbqs and parties. :drinker:
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    my BMR is 1553....I set my cal at 1600 as an experiment ...we will see :)
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Height: 5' 3''
    Weight: 170.0
    BMR: 1436

I seem to be hovering around my BMR even on workout days and I'm losing. There are days where I'm under because I've eaten alot of frits and veggies and there are days where I'm over. In the end, it all evens out.

Except on weeks where my lovely cursed friends arrives and than all bets are off. :mad:

ETA: I checked my diary, and it seems that actually I'm eating above my BMR and STILL losing weight. There are days I'm under though, just few and far between. My diary is open if anyone wants to take a peek.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I don't believe anyone should eat below their BMR. I think TDEE-15% (or 20%) is a more realistic option.

^^^^ this exactly. Your BMR has nothing to do with your daily routine. It is how much your body needs if you were in a coma.

What you should be looking at is how much your body needs according to how much activity you do - not necessarily going to the gym. So for example, a sedentary person should multiply their BMR by 1.2 to get their TDEE. And most people aren't sedentary.

I agree....my take is BMR is what your body needs to LIVE ....run everything properly....if you cut below that number you cutting your chances at a healthy body....injurying all muscles including organs.....like your heart is a muscle....like I had posted earlier my BMR is 1553 according to this site ...my TDEE is 2447 so most days I stick around 1600 range but weekends are around 1800-2000 and staying active....but all bodies are different so you just need to find that niche that works for yours and tweak it as you lose :)
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I've updated my settings since my weight has changed a little bit since starting this.. The BMR generator on here reckons I should be eating around 1330 calories a day.

For those that didn't know, "Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Post your height, weight, age, what your BMR is and whether or not this is accurate for your daily routine.

Be interesting to know what other peoples results are :)

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 190.8
    BMR: 1598

i guess it's accurate, i dont know. but i have a hard enough time just eating 1200 calories let alone 1598
  • StrongerByTheMiles
    Options
    Height: 5'00"
    Weight: 98
    BMR: 1068
    **That is low! That is a little depressing!