background calories

Options
Obviously part of the calories expended during a period of exercise are the basal-those that we use up just because we're alive. When it comes to logging calories expended shown on a heart rate monitor that does not automatically deduct basal calories, should we deduct them first before logging? It might not make much difference to most but I have some health problems that means I have to take lots of rest breaks between cardio exercises and so my gym time can be anything up to 4 hours. That amounts to a shedload of basals.

Thanks for any help

Replies

• gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My nonexpert suggestion is to log what is on your HRM but don't automatically eat back all your exercise calories. The only real issue with logging them wrong is if you plan to eat them back. Experiment with eating some or none of them back and see how your body reacts. Ive read many say they eat 50% back but I personally try to eat 0% back but I don't get upset if I do eat some of them.

And if you have health issues, my best advice is to go with doctor's orders over our casual comments and opinions.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    One thing I would add to my earlier post is that HRMs are really only good for measuring calories during periods of exertion. So if most of the 4 hours is spent at a low heart rate (as I can only imagine it is), then I would say the reading is completely rubbish and you may just ignore the calorie calculations completely. But it may still be a good tool for you to use to control your heart rate at a medically sound level. So if your workout involves 20 minutes of exertion followed by 3 hrs and 40 minutes of much less exertion, then the calorie count for the 20 minutes may be more accurate but the remaining time the calculation is rubbish.
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not so extreme as that. More like 20 minutes exercise, 5 minutes rest etc. I have COPD-emphysema so a lot of my lung capacity has been destroyed. I can't go really high intensity either more a case of steady steady and over time slightly raise the resistance- all done in a gym.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Four HOURS in the gym? You're doing it wrong.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My nonexpert suggestion is to log what is on your HRM but don't automatically eat back all your exercise calories. The only real issue with logging them wrong is if you plan to eat them back. Experiment with eating some or none of them back and see how your body reacts. Ive read many say they eat 50% back but I personally try to eat 0% back but I don't get upset if I do eat some of them.

And if you have health issues, my best advice is to go with doctor's orders over our casual comments and opinions.

Before havind fitbit I was deducting BMR, but I was logging all the exercises, even walking, so it was at least 1h ever day - that is 60 kcal, quite a lot
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not doing anything wrong. I simply have to be careful not to allow my heart rate to go too high and my lung issues mean that I take probably 2-4 times as long as healthy, fully lunged people.