Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Skin firming?! Any advice!?

Options
I have been loosing some weight but I have a lot of loose skin still from when I was pregnant that just seems to just be getting worse as I loose more. I was wondering if anybody has found any tips for helping get it tightened up.

I have bought some skin firming lotion that I have just started with and hope it helps but I have also heard that wearing a girdle type thing regularly for a while could help too but I'm not sure about that one.

Any advice would be great!

Replies

• davidantell
    Options
    Palmers cocoa butter lotion. Massage well for about 5 minutes per area. Helps big time.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It's no one's favourite answer, but the fact is that TIME or SURGERY are the only things that will actually do anything significant for your skin. Depending on how long you've carried extra weight, it can take up to 5 years to see the full effect of how much your skin will tighten up, but for those who have carried extra weight for many years, it's not uncommon for there to be some loose skin that just doesn't bounce back. The lotions are a very superficial (at best) solution since it's actually a much deeper layer of tissue that is responsible for how taught your skin is. If you do anything supplemental for skin tightness I'd suggest a phamaceutical-grade fish oil (because the heavy metals are filtered out in pharm. grade), make sure you get all your water and sleep, and make sure you integrate weight training in your routine because that will give you beautiful lines beneath your skin.
    And remember, having some loose skin is a preferable alternative to skin stretched out by body fat, any day :wink:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    It takes a lot of patience, but it will firm up naturally. Firming lotions can help moisturize, but I'm not sure about the effectiveness of them in actually firming the skin. It depends on the science behind the brand. Some are better than others. Its hard to tell, but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you are in a hurry, as most of us are, look into getting a series of body wraps. Check out wellness centers and upscale salons. I say that so that you can feel good about seeing a talented professional versus someone whos trying to make a profit. Body wraps are more than firming, they are moisturizing, detoxifying, and soooo relaxing!

PM me if you have any questions about that. I can help you out with the details.

Holly
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Reba, your age is on your side!!! Lose the weight now!! The older you get the harder it is for your skin to respond.

Some of my saggy wrinkles I try to chalk up to LOVE.:heart: I love my kids and would do it all over again.:smooched: