Cocoa Powder - Best one

2»

Replies

• Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    bumper
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Nestle also makes cocoa powder. King Arthur Flour has a few, including a "black cocoa" that is fabulous for faux Oreo's.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    TerrAmazon Organic Cacao Powder has the best stats from what I've seen: 1 oz is 110 calories, 16g carbs, 8g protein and sugar/fat-free. It's so rich, though, that I only use 1 tablespoon (which is about 1/4 an ounce) for smoothies.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    I put the Hershey's Special Dark (dutch pressed) in my protein shake today along with some chocolate PB2 and vanilla almond milk. It was really yummy! I've used it for baking before, mainly because I have always preferred dark chocolate to milk chocolate. But tomorrow I think I'm going to try the Mayan natural cacao in my protein drink. I may also try putting it in with my coffee grounds. One of the sites I came across today recommended that and it sounds great! I had already started putting some ground cinnamon and cloves in my coffee grounds, so this will be a great addition I think!
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    What do you do with cocoa powder ?

I intend to mix it with my plain no-fat greek yogurt as a chocolate treat when I need it! You can also mix it with Ricotta cheese for a mousse like treat. I like the idea of putting it in the coffee grounds, but I'm curious if there would be enough of a "chocolate" taste when done? I'll have to try this weekend.

I absolutely love chocolate but cannot control myself well around it. I also like Lindt chili pepper chocolate. I get my chocolate but can't go overboard because of the hotness. They also make bacon chocolate but I can't go there....I would eat it all at once.
  • Ghiradelli is double the price of Hershey's but I don't know if that makes it any better. I didn't buy it. I have bought cocoa from Penzey Spices and I like it, but I don't really know if it is any better.it is just more expensive. Penzey spices are great though.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscocoapowder.html
    Apparently the real difference is between natural and dutch pressed. Which Penzey's one did you buy?

I bought both since some recipes call for both kinds.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    How is everyone using their cocoa powder?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    I buy Ghiradelli. Very tasty stuff.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Get Hershey's dark chocolate (not the mix and with no sugar added) in the baking section of the store. Mix it in a blender or blender jar along with some splenda or whatever you prefer but no sugar hopefully. Add milk or almond milk or whatever. The mixes are not good. The real stuff is loaded with antioxidants and good stuff. Plus, it lowers blood pressure.
  • I have added the Hersery special dark powder to my greek yogurt and some peanutbutter and strawberries and nice dessert!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    I love the Trader Joe's one but it is seasonal so only available in fall/winter.

The seasonal cocoa at Trader Joe's that I have seen is mix for sipping chocolate. Regular cocoa powder I can find there year round.
  • dgbj
    dgbj Posts: 1
    When I decided to be intentional in adding cocoa to my diet for its health benefits I bought regular Hershey Cocoa. Because Cocoa is bitter in taste I have looked for creative and easy ways to add it daily. To be sure I have a least one serving a day I add it to the one and only cup of coffee I drink each day. I do not drink coffee black so the cocoa alone would not make it very palatable to me, but when I add only a little Nestle Italian Sweet Creme and it taste incredible!!! DO NOT get the Dutch Chocolate it may taste a little less bitter but you lose some of the health benefits. I read that cocoa can also be added to yogurt, frozen yogurt, mixed in with smoothies or even added to chili. Anyone else got some ideas for quick, easy and healthy ways to add more cocoa to your diet?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    bump for later
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Green and Black's is my favorite dark chocolate and they make cocoa powder as well.
  • What do I do with cocoa? ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Think my favorite is porridge, cocoa porridge goes so good with other things too; banana, coconut, cherries and almonds. I put cocoa in pizzerts, and also makes a great cheesefakecake (you know the ones made with greek yoghurt and tofu? fibreone/allbran base, nom), cocoa custard, greek yoghurt. ah how I love cocoa. Did you notice? Never really eat chocolate though.