Macronutrients - are they the same for everyone?

Options
I've been on MFP for 3 months and have seen lots of posts regarding what the "ideal" split of protein/fats/carbs. Several posted that 40% carbs, 30% proteins, and 30% fats is what your day should look like.

Is that true for everyone (regardless of size or height)? Just confused because my "chart" comes up differently with different percentages so I'm unsure which one I should be striving for... Thank you!

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    That is the norm. However there are many people who believe in different compositions. I'd say the most common you will find on here is high protein and low carb. Tough to pull off while keeping calories low in my opinion, but it is very popular...especially with people doing alot of excersise.
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is the zone diet. Jennifer Aniston and more celebrities liked it, but I find it very confusing.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You can set your own, but 40/30/30 is the recommended ratio in New Rules of Lifting for Women too.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You should sets yours according to what your goals are. Mine is going to sound crazy, but it's 40% fat, 35% protein, 25% carbs. It usually ends up being more like 40% protein, 35% fat, 25% carbs, but whatever. After a lot of research, I found that was the best combination for fat loss. A typical day for me is around 1500 calories, 140 g protein, 80 g carbs, 60 g fat.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You should sets yours according to what your goals are.

^ This.

Goals, current stats, training, individual needs/conditions will all play a part here.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I believe mine are set at 35% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats. I feel best at slightly higher protein than carbs but it varies according to personal needs and goals.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm 60/20/20 which works well for me.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (or you can just use your weight to make it easier)
    0.25 to 0.4 grams of fat per pound of total body weight
    Rest as carbs and whatever you want.

The percentage will change wildly depending on your current calorie target.