Thigh Exercises - Help and Ideas

Options
They have taken away the abductor machines at my gym, you know the ones you sit on and one works the inner thigh and one works the outer thigh with weights.

I used to get great toning when I used them. What other exercises could I do instead?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Those are silly.

The best leg exercise is the full barbell squat. Start with 45lb bar. Do 3 sets of 5.
    Do this every other day. For example, M W F
    Next week, add 5 lbs.
    Next week, add 5 lbs.
    Keep adding 5lbs until you can't finish all 3 sets of 5.
    If you can't finish, do the same weight next week but do 3 sets of 6
    Then on the next next week, try and increase again.

For reference, my wife took about 3 months to get up to 185lbs.

In one single rep you've worked your entire core, your glutes, your hamstrings, your quads, your entire hip drive, calves... you get the idea.

Make sure your form is down. Chest up, sit back, hips go to, or just below, parallel with your knees. Toes pointed out, knees in line with feet. Look up on youtube 'so you think you can squat.'
  • angels960
    angels960 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Those are silly.

The best leg exercise is the full barbell squat. Start with 45lb bar. Do 3 sets of 5.
    Do this every other day. For example, M W F
    Next week, add 5 lbs.
    Next week, add 5 lbs.
    Keep adding 5lbs until you can't finish all 3 sets of 5.
    If you can't finish, do the same weight next week but do 3 sets of 6
    Then on the next next week, try and increase again.

For reference, my wife took about 3 months to get up to 185lbs.

In one single rep you've worked your entire core, your glutes, your hamstrings, your quads, your entire hip drive, calves... you get the idea.

Make sure your form is down. Chest up, sit back, hips go to, or just below, parallel with your knees. Toes pointed out, knees in line with feet. Look up on youtube 'so you think you can squat.'

Wow thank you! honestly this is really good information
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They have taken away the abductor machines at my gym, you know the ones you sit on and one works the inner thigh and one works the outer thigh with weights.

I used to get great toning when I used them. What other exercises could I do instead?

I have been doing exercises without a machine, using my own body weight, just your standard leg lifts and scissor lifts, v-lifts, etc. I'm not a "gym person," so I have been just doing things old school.

Squats are good for all your major muscle groups. Stairs will work your calves and thighs both like nobody's business! :tongue:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    And along with the squats mix in some deadlift variant. Maybe throw in some bench and overhead presses. maybe some rows. a few chinups.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would try some side lunges. Start standing with a dumbell/kettlebell in your hands. Take a step out with your right leg to the side, bend over so the weight touches the ground (straight back), raise up and pull your left foot to meet your right. Step out with your left leg and repeat.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    One that I like is tying a resistance band around your ankles and side step about 4-5 steps, then go back...then repeat. It really works out your saddles.
  • angels960
    angels960 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like all the replies and the variations, I am going to try some of these out.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I do squats on an upside-down Bosu ball. It's a lot more challenging than regular squats because you're also having to balance your whole body. My thighs have quickly developed stronger muscles from this.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    running marching band and walking have always given me highly developed leg muscles but i added squats just in case
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me walking down the length of a hallway with weights in my hands doing lunges. Those are killer!

Also burpees:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There are lots of versa-loop exercises that you can do at the gym or at home -- google some, and give it a try. Great for abductors and general leg strength using just your own movements and the versa-loop. Easy to keep in your gym bag, and pocket. Great to take while traveling for a quick workout without any weights.

http://www.power-systems.com/p-2705-versa-loops.aspx
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    awesome responses :)
  • metter2011
    metter2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump