Hey ... my diet can benefit my children too!

Options
The other day I sat down with my two children (7 and 4 years old) in front of the TV with a snack bowl. Normally this would have been crisps or M&Ms or whatever, but now that I am losing weight it was carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes. Now getting these two kids to eat salad has never been easy, but as they watched me eat up, they were like "Can I have one?", "can I have another?" and before you know it we had shared the large bowl equally between the three of us.

It demonstrated to me in a very straight forward way that this diet I am on is not just going to make me healthier, but there is a real chance it will improve the eating habits of my children as well. This seems really obvious in hindsight, but to be honest it had not occurred to me at all. My kids are at an age where they still really want to do what I do, so the influence on my eating is making a difference for them as well, without me really doing anything else.

If that isn't extra motivation for a parent then I don't know what is!

Is there anyone with a story of how changing their own eating habits has had a positive impact on their children? And what about in the long term, something I can't say yet as it has only been a few months for me? I would be interested in hearing from others on this particular angle, as I find it very motivating. Thank you very much!

Replies

• roseydo
    roseydo Posts: 6
    Options
    My dad took my daughter to lunch when she was about 6. She saw that the lady sat next to her on the other table hadn't finished her veg. My daughter turned to the lady and told her that she wasn't allowed a pudding as she hadn't eaten all her vegetables. I only give my children a pudding if we have it to give but they must eat their veg. I was happy to see that my daughter took this seriously. She's 10 now and still adopts the same attitude. I know this isn't the same but you did remind me of this. :-)
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My dad took my daughter to lunch when she was about 6. She saw that the lady sat next to her on the other table hadn't finished her veg. My daughter turned to the lady and told her that she wasn't allowed a pudding as she hadn't eaten all her vegetables. I only give my children a pudding if we have it to give but they must eat their veg. I was happy to see that my daughter took this seriously. She's 10 now and still adopts the same attitude. I know this isn't the same but you did remind me of this. :-)

Ha ha yes that is priceless. :smile: