ATL, anyone?!

Options

Replies

• guapogringo
    Options
    Charleston, SC...TRUST ME

There is no comparison but it is apples and oranges.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Your post sparked quite a memory for me. I moved to ATL pretty much on a whim after graduating from college. That was in 1995 and the Olympics were on the horizon, so I figured I could find some type of work, even if it was unrelated to my degree. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I met a lot of great friends, made a lot of great memories, started myself on my current career path, and best of all, met my current husband.

I moved to Cincinnati in 2002 after a year and a half of a long distance relationship with my now husband after his transfer here. Obviously, I was hesitant to leave. I do miss ATL because there was so much to do (especially the great food!) and I also loved the southern way. Being from PA originally, I found the pace there a lot slower and more relaxed. But we always joked that ATL was a northern city in the south because of the number of "transplants", so you kind of got the best of both worlds. Also, I did appreciate the cultural diversity there that seems to be lacking here in the midwest.

At any rate, I just wanted to let you know of my experience. I'm not sure if it was the time in my life that I miss, or the city itself, but Atlanta will always hold a warm spot in my heart. Best of luck to you!
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I live in Athens, Georgia. About an hour from ATL. and I LOVE IT!! North Georgia definitely ROCKS. I personally love to be close to ATL but not right in the hub-bub. I LOVE Atlanta but traffic IS ridiculous. Burbs are awesome thou! I am a born and raised Peach!! :drinker:
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am here in North Georgia. Does anyone actually live in Atlanta? No one i know. There are some great suburbs. Georgia is great.

I actually live in Atlanta. I don't live right in downtown, but I live in the buckhead area. I have live in ATL for a little over 8 years now and have no desire to move anytime soon!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I am here in North Georgia. Does anyone actually live in Atlanta? No one i know. There are some great suburbs. Georgia is great.

I actually live in Atlanta. I don't live right in downtown, but I live in the buckhead area. I have live in ATL for a little over 8 years now and have no desire to move anytime soon!

I dont think I would consider Buckhead living in Atlanta.
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have lived in North GA, about 50 miles from ATL, for almost all of my life. I love it here! Lake Lanier is a great way to get away on weekends. I have my own business in Gainesville, GA and I rarely travel to downtown ATL. Traffic is not an issue for me. The people are nice here and I love the weather! Bring the heat and humidity! I will send you a FR so I can keep up with when you will be here. I would be glad to show you around! Good luck!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Georgia for the last 2 years...my advice? DONT MOVE TO GEORGIA

Keep in mind I'm currently living in Omaha. Nebraska. So yeah.

FYI, I find the weather to be quite fantastic. I'd rather deal with ridiculous humidity than 5 months of ridiculous snow any day. Done that for 28 years & I'm about done.

Definitely appreciate all the feedback!! :drinker:

If you want to move to a great place in the south with the humidity and without the crappiness of Atlanta, i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend...Charleston, SC

I lived there for 15 years/....small town, with a beach, multiple 4-5 star resturaunts and a GREAT downtime night life. Plus it is beautiful and has a great history. I cant think of a better small town on East Coast that has all that.

Charleston is a great place!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoy spending a lot of time sitting in your car.

THIS!!^^^^ I spent almost 2 effing hours getting to work today. Urghhh!!! I live in Marietta and work in Atlanta close to the Perimeter.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you want to move to a great place in the south with the humidity and without the crappiness of Atlanta, i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend...Charleston, SC

I lived there for 15 years/....small town, with a beach, multiple 4-5 star resturaunts and a GREAT downtime night life. Plus it is beautiful and has a great history. I cant think of a better small town on East Coast that has all that.

Appreciate your thoughs!! :smile: I'm not really a small town kinda girl. I started in Wisconsin, moved to MN for college, came to Omaha (surprisingly with all the burbs it's just over a million) & I'm eager to move somewhere like Atlanta which will have much more going on than here.

Keep it comin'!! :flowerforyou:
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    We live in Peachtree City about 1/2 hour south of Atlanta. I drive a golf cart. It's pretty awesome. I moved to Atlanta when I was 20 with no intention of staying. I love it here! I lived in the city for 10 years and moved to PTC when I was preg with DD. I really hate the cold and while it does get hot and humid here, I'll take it over snow any day. Plus, it's just a couple hours to the mountains, 4-7 hours to the beach depending on which one you want to go to, and there's loads of lakes and parks.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options

So you only count the crappy parts as living in the city? Buckhead is OK. I prefer the Virginia Highlands area.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Well it is.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a big, southern city, there are alternatives. Charlotte, NC is quite similar with its own differences. It's still got the culture and the traffic, but it's a bit smaller and not as spread out.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options

Appreciate your thoughs!! :smile: I'm not really a small town kinda girl. I started in Wisconsin, moved to MN for college, came to Omaha (surprisingly with all the burbs it's just over a million) & I'm eager to move somewhere like Atlanta which will have much more going on than here.

Keep it comin'!! :flowerforyou:

How many small towns have 4-5 star resturants and beaches? Metro area is 350K pop....its a small big town or a big small town lol.....trust me...take a vaca there and you will leave ATL in your rear view mirror.
  • Ms_NewNew
    Ms_NewNew Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I live on the out skirts on the south side in Henry County, I moved from Miami three years ago and I LOVE IT....yes the traffic can be a bit much and I work in the city around the corner from the Georgia Dome. I actually miss traffic by leaving the house 10 minutes earlier lol.....but there is traffic in any state depending on where you work v.s where you live...I say just reshearch the area and schools if you have kids before moving.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    I live on the out skirts on the south side in Henry County, I moved from Miami three years ago and I LOVE IT....yes the traffic can be a bit much and I work in the city around the corner from the Georgia Dome. I actually miss traffic by leaving the house 10 minutes earlier lol.....but there is traffic in any state depending on where you work v.s where you live...I say just reshearch the area and schools if you have kids before moving.

IDK...ive been everywhere and the only traffic that is like ATL is DC Corridor and LA........its REALLY bad.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The traffic is really, really terrible. I agree--the only worse traffic I've seen is in DC.

We spent a lot of money on fixer-upper in an historic neighborhood in the city. Is it worth it? Absolutely. I can be in downtown Atlanta where I work in 5-10 minutes on the subway (MARTA). Our place hasn't depreciated like the houses in the suburbs, and I never, ever sit in traffic. It just depends on how you want to pay--time or money. You can buy a cheaper house further away and deal with traffic or pay more to live in the city. And on the weekends I'm 5 minutes away from all the cool in-town neighborhoods: VA Highlands, L5P, Midtown, etc.

The weather here is fine. I'm from the SW so I trust me, I know how bad the humidity is. I really, really hated it when I moved here--I felt like I was suffocating. Coming from the desert, I just wanted to craw into a meat locker. But the winters are mild, and the spring and fall are REALLY nice--spring especially, just beautiful weather. And you know, this is the 21st century--if you can't take the humidity, turn on the AC! Or do what I did--just start working out outside and you'll acclimate.

The guy who was talking about Charleston--yes, he's right. Charleston is definitely a cooler town than Atlanta no doubt about it. It's my favorite city in the south. Great restaurants, a stone's throw from the beach--really, really cool, historic architecture--great walking city. I love it. But it's small (very small compared to Atlanta!) so might be hard to find a professional job there--I don't know--I guess it just depends on your line of work.
  • sirrah17
    sirrah17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy living in Omaha (it's not so bad...even though people like to put it down), but you gotta follow your dream no matter what other people think. What's the worst that can happen? You go and then find out that the grass isn't greener?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    The traffic is really, really terrible. I agree--the only worse traffic I've seen is in DC.

We spent a lot of money on fixer-upper in an historic neighborhood in the city. Is it worth it? Absolutely. I can be in downtown Atlanta where I work in 5-10 minutes on the subway (MARTA). Our place hasn't depreciated like the houses in the suburbs, and I never, ever sit in traffic. It just depends on how you want to pay--time or money. You can buy a cheaper house further away and deal with traffic or pay more to live in the city. And on the weekends I'm 5 minutes away from all the cool in-town neighborhoods: VA Highlands, L5P, Midtown, etc.

The weather here is fine. I'm from the SW so I trust me, I know how bad the humidity is. I really, really hated it when I moved here--I felt like I was suffocating. Coming from the desert, I just wanted to craw into a meat locker. But the winters are mild, and the spring and fall are REALLY nice--spring especially, just beautiful weather. And you know, this is the 21st century--if you can't take the humidity, turn on the AC! Or do what I did--just start working out outside and you'll acclimate.

The guy who was talking about Charleston--yes, he's right. Charleston is definitely a cooler town than Atlanta no doubt about it. It's my favorite city in the south. Great restaurants, a stone's throw from the beach--really, really cool, historic architecture--great walking city. I love it. But it's small (very small compared to Atlanta!) so might be hard to find a professional job there--I don't know--I guess it just depends on your line of work.

This cat (literally it seems) knows what he/she is talkign about.

Boeing just opened in CHucktown and Google has been there for 5 years. Trust me its BOOMING.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Georgia for the last 2 years...my advice? DONT MOVE TO GEORGIA

Keep in mind I'm currently living in Omaha. Nebraska. So yeah.

FYI, I find the weather to be quite fantastic. I'd rather deal with ridiculous humidity than 5 months of ridiculous snow any day. Done that for 28 years & I'm about done.

Definitely appreciate all the feedback!! :drinker:

a man after my own heart!