"If every day was like today..." not accurate at all?

Options
2»

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Mine are pretty out there too. I don't pay any mind to it. Those are based on numbers only- our bodies do not respond to numbers. There is no telling what could happen in those 5 weeks... water, muscle gain or loss, etc. Even if you ate the exact same for 5 weeks and did the exact same activity you could be putting on muscle which in turn could increase your weight.

I look at it as, if that number is going down- i'm on the right track! :D

This too. It doesn't take exercising into account. Only the calorie deficit at the end of the day. So if you're exercising there's a good chance you are losing fat but gaining muscle.
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    It's not doing a medical work up on you, it's crunching numbers. If you're not measuring your food carefully or have some medical issues, the numbers will be off.

Yeah, perhaps it is because of my thyroidism...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It's a nice motivator when I'm stuck, but I usually don't take it to heart.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Mine is never right but then I've never had 5 weeks where every single thing I did and ate every day were exactly the same.
  • mrh0rnet
    mrh0rnet Posts: 26
    Options
    I never even look at that thing. I just log and keep it moving.. as long as I know i'm still losing i'm cool.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It is silly. I can't run 9 miles everyday.
  • dshgna
    dshgna Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP included another feature like, "If you go at this trend, you'll weight <this much> in 5 weeks." taking into account the trend through a long period of time.

It would be much more accurate and motivating, I think.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I never "complete" my diary entry. Then I don't need to worry about the lies it tell me. :laugh:

same as above, and one reason I also never complete my entery now - it has NEVER been accurate for me, and is darn depressing, because I eat, and exercise "mostly" the same way everyday, so one would think it would be more accurate - but nope. Would love to be able to turn it off. :)
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    I wish MFP included another feature like, "If you go at this trend, you'll weight <this much> in 5 weeks." taking into account the trend through a long period of time.

This! Taking just one day in account doesn't seem to work for many of us
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily inaccurate...

If EVERY day was like today you'd weight.......in 5 weeks.

That means you eat the exact same foods, do the exact same activity, and your body naturally burns the exact same amount of calories.

It's not meant to be a science it's meant to be motivation. Like "Hey keep doing what you're doing and you could be at _______ in 5 weeks". It's not meant to be a serious gauge of what you WILL weigh.

Exactly what I was going to say. No one will do the same exact thing, eat the same exact thing or take the same amount of steps every day. It's not possible. For me, I see it and think ok cool. I'm going to go out and run what I just ran today or not more, I use it as a motivation, not as a hey wait it lied to me
  • tawnierose
    Options

I log my weight on another site I used to log my food at.. It takes the last 10 weighins and gives you an average so you know where your "trend line" is compared to your actual weight. Even shows you a graph and you can select whichever dates you want to look at. It's Calorie count if anyone's interested. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put the name of another site on here.. if not I'm sorry!)