Female Runner Issue

Options
songbyrdsweet
songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
I am on Week 7 of the Gateway to 8K series...that means a 5 minute warmup, and three 15 minute running intervals with two 1-minute rests and a 5 minute cool-down. I generally complete about 4.5-5 miles during this session.

I am eating about 1400-1500 calories/day...I should actually be eating a bit more but I'm really low on food so I'm making due (my BMR is 1310).

Tonight after my run I had severe abdominal pain (which is actually normal since I have IBS) but I also am spotting moderately. This has never happened to me before and I'm on week 2 of the pill.

Are there any other runners or females in general that have experienced this? I googled it and saw that it's fairly common. It sucks though.:sick:

Replies

• greenstar1216
    Options
    It has happened to me a couple of times. Actually tonight when i got back from a run I had really bad abdominal pains. It felt like cramps but it's not even that time for me. Glad to hear its kinda common, I was a little worried...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I had the same question a couple of months ago. I did not have pain. But I had $600 worth of tests:grumble: for him to tell me my uterine lining was thickening and that I could either go on progesterone, have a DNC or just live with it. May not be your issue b/c I am a bit older.

My aunt had the same issue; pain in the pelvic and rectal area. Her doctor told her to stop running so much.

Have it checked out if it persists. But better safe than sorry. It is horrible to see when you are not expecting it. Once a month is enough for me.

Hope you are well soon.:flowerforyou:
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Strange things start to happen when you push your body to the max. I've been having the same symptoms myself. It may be the pill, but I doubt it. Last time I trained for a 10k I skipped a period altogether, but I wasn't eating enough either. Maybe you should try eating more. (Training properly can be expensive)
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have had horrible pain in my lower abdomain while running. I wasn't due for my period and didn't have the pain when I stopped running. It happend to me twice, two days in a row. That was a few weeks ago and it hasn't happened since, i'm hopeing it never happens again!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well I would sort of expect a lack of period over spotting. I mean, neither one is good, but why in the heck would I want extra?:grumble: In the past my GE told me to run less. My longest was only 6 miles. *sigh*