Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did was give it up. I only drink water now
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Good luck! If you can, invest in a soda stream! You can create some great concoctions with it that give you the feeling of a soda drink without all the sugar :)

You can do it!
  • leanndmary
    Options
    I am a much heavier than you and used to drink AT LEAST two liters of Diet Pepsi every day. I quit cold turnkey in July and lost 30 pounds right away. However, I didn't change my eating, and that weight came back. I only drink water now and, only once, have I missed pop. Even if you don't lose any weight, I think it's worth it to give it up. I don't need that particular addiction when I am already addicted to eating for comfort! Good luck!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I gave up Diet Pepsi in about August .. and haven't looked back. I did Diet Pepsi daily .. like in a bad way. I only drank Diet Pepsi and didn't eat much food. I quit cold turkey .. and really I haven't missed it at all.

Healthy just feels so much better.

Pop is one of the worst things you can possibly put in your mouth. Coke spends HUGE amounts of money to convince us that really pop isn't that bad. Well .... just do some research on the net and you will quickly learn that pop really is pretty bad for us.

Sure .. water is just water. I hated it too at first .. but I have been doing much better at drinking it daily.
  • Anselee
    Anselee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I totally have this issue! I'll stop drinking Coke for a little and then bam I'm right back into it and I know it's like the worst thing possible especially if you are trying to be healthy. After reading everyone's posts I totally feel as if I may need to try again and try to kick my coca cola habit once and for all
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a soda problem too but I've cut back a lot. After I started working out regularly I didn't want it as much any more.. it really seems to slow me down and gives me side aches. I find that drinking sparkling water actually helps with the soda cravings too.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good for you! At one time I was a Mt Dew addict and now I can't stand it bc it's too sweet and syrupy. I drink the occasional Coke but only from a glass bottle (limiting when and where by availibility), call it one a month for the last year. I personally have had issues with diet drinks (aspartame makes my joints ache and this new stuff in everything made me break out into a rash when I was overusing it), so I use the sweeteners very rarely, and when I switched over, I GAINED WEIGHT. So they aren't for me.
    There are lots of things you can put into water to make it less boring: the flavors you buy, orange slices, lemon, lime, berries, cherries, melon, teas, ginger, peach slices, etc.
    Good Luck!
  • the_oncomingstorm
    Options
    I gave up diet soda about 2 months ago and have been drinking green tea instead. Took a little time to get used to.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I was totally addicted to Mtn Dew for over 20 years. I probably drank 8-9 cans a day and never th9ought I could do it. I gave it up in January went cold turkey and only drink water now. I had lost 20 pounds by March and had done nothing else. I have since started watching what I eat and exercising but it was the first 20 that came off just by getting rid of soda. Good Luck and you can do this!!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Yeah, water is getting old, old, old. BUT SO IS BEING FAT! I have been putting a slice of lime in mine. That's starting to get old too, but I ain't quittin! :grumble:

You can drink iced or hot tea to mix it up, but do not drink Southern style sweet tea! Also you can flavor your water with mint, lemons, oranges, cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, tarragon, etc. Dried hibiscus flowers adds a lovely color to water as well and they have a citrus tart flavor as well.

Here is my story, when my mother was expecting with me, she drank several bottles of soda a day. Shortly after I was born she started giving me soda in my bottles instead of milk. At six months, I stopped taking the milk bottle all together. Even when my family was having hard financial times, my mother still managed to get a coke a day for both of us. So drinking soda was all I knew for most of my life. I was thin, eating anything I wanted to up till I hit 30, then I began a cycle of gaining over a couple of years, and losing it over a few more years.

In my mid-50s during my menopause phase, I lost weight again and this time the only big change I made was a vow to give up soda. I did it cold turkey like you are trying, so yeah it can be done. Over 6 months, I lost 35 lbs. I still had dark chocolate in small amounts daily, I ate pretty much anything I wanted in small portions and stopped the soda, replacing it with water, herbal teas, and green tea. I felt better, the belly bloating went away.

I am here now because I gained weight back because I was making my portions larger and eating too much chocolate and drinking too much wine. I also took a night job and my exercising pretty much stopped.

So it is never one thing that makes us overweight. But I promise you, drinking soda, even the diet types is going to help your weight control efforts. Diet soda always made me crave more food, so even when dieting before, I drank reg. Pepsis not diet.

Now I start my day with a 32 oz pitcher of water, sometimes with some of the additions listed above, but not always, I drink water through out the day, in fact, I average about 100 ozs of water a day now.

Keep it out of your house. My husband didn't like that at first now he is a lover of raspberry zinger tea and he dropped a pesky 10 lbs he always said he wanted to drop, he is skinny naturally, just wanted to drop those. Yes, I love him dearly, but I hate how weight control is so easy for him and not me!!!

You are stronger than a can of soda you can do this!
    Hero_runs.gif
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I drank soda for years, lot's of it. I gave it up in April and have never even had a sip the day I gave it up - sure there was a time I thought I might like some but I never did. When I want something bubbly I have Seltzer. I started my new life journey in April and I am not looking back. Gave up soda, lowfat, no-fat and now down to 28 grams of sugar a day and I feel fantastic! So I wish you the best. Onward & Upward!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think if people had any idea how bad pop is for us .. they would stop drinking it. Yes ... even diet pop. It is just as bad.

Google is your friend ... just do some online research and you will soon see that pop really is very very bad for us. Then we wonder why there is such an obesity issue .. pop is a major contributor.

Contrary to what some people think on this thread .. there is no such thing as good pop. Why do you think that companies like Coke spend billions of dollars trying to convince us that pop isn't bad for us.

People that think that buying a soda machine .. and all things will be fine are just kidding themselves.
  • madlab7
    madlab7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to say that when I gave up soda the headaches killed me for the first two days. Since then, I have felt a ton better and have not had a headache since. I now have a lot more energy. Also, I never thought I would be able to drink just straight water with no flavor, but I was wrong. I often am looking forward to a super cold glass of water since most of what I drink is at room temp.

This is saying alot considering I was drinking a two liter a day of either Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I WISH I COULD GIVE UP POP! i've been trying really hard for a few weeks now, and I ALWAYS cave, I crave everything about pop entirely too much, the bubbliness, the color, the flavor, even the way it smells. LITERALLY CRAVE IT.
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can do this! The last time I drank soda was in 2007! It's been 6 years since I've had soda and have zero cravings for it.
  • jmiguy
    jmiguy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    After reading this article (assuming it's all true) you may never want to drink soda again.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/12/what-happens-to-your-body-within-an-hour-of-drinking-a-coke.aspx
  • rhondamarie00
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm addicted to soda and have always been told that I would lose weight just by cutting soda out of my diet. Ive been working with a personal trainer 4-5 times a week. He comes to my house for the work outs and he holds me accountable to my diet, which is helpful to me. Cutting out soda has been hard hard but I've gotten to the point where I'm willing to do just about anything to look and feel better. I have fibromyalgia and I've let it control me for far too long. Now I'm trying to take my life back and this is the hardest I've ever worked in my life! I like that you ate waiting 2 weeks to weigh yourself. If you weigh every day you will get discouraged. I don't plan on weighing myself until a full month has gone by and then HOPEFULLY I can come back here and let you know that cutting out soda worked for me! Along with diet and exercise, of course :-)
  • jmtel
    jmtel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had a long history with a Coca Cola habit. I have given it up a few times for a few years each time but keep falling off the wagon then I'm back to at least one coke a day. My late mother was the same, she had a life long addiction to tea which she would kick on & off.

When I was younger I kicked the habit by going cold turkey and didn't have a problem with headaches & withdrawal. The last time I kicked it by substituted Coke for Nestea Ice Tea (powdered mixed with water) for a period of time then subsituted the ice tea for water with about 1/4 can of lemon soda then I switched to chocolate almond milk. I don't mind drinking calories if I get the benefit of calcium & iron. And for me it was true, after a period of time the thought of any soda drinks just grossed me out - too syruping & sweet & just plain poisonous. In the past I used to bring my own drinks to places to ensure that it was available when I needed it. So planning & preparation helped a lot.

I can drink plain water no problem (and it is my preference) in the mornings and in the evening but between 2 - 4 p.m. I need the mix of caffeine & sugar or at least sugar because by that point in the day plain water just makes me sick.

Looking back I can identify what caused me to fall off the wagon and start drinking coke again - generally when I was feeling sick, stressed or hung over I needed a coke. Also if I eat certain foods then I want/need to drink a coke too (pizza, chinese food, veggie burger, fries, chips, popcorn). So avoiding these situations is best but it can be a vicious cycle.

This time around I have been trying for months with no luck; cold turkey, slowly reducing the amount, attempting to substituting other drinks, and I am well aware of all the awful side effects that soda drinks has on the body.

So wish me luck as I attempt this again & I hope that you all can learn from my previous experience.
  • ziiggman
    Options
    I didn't give up the soda, i just started drinking diet dr. pepper.
    & i'm losing weight.

artificial sweeteners are worse for you than sugar :(
  • stephanieccoomer
    Options
    I have been addicted to Mt. Dew for over 20 years and before that, it was Big Red. I was drinking 8-12
    per day. I have tried tapering off and cutting down, to no avail. I even ended up wearing a heart monitor
    for 3 days on one of my tries...lol. Last week, I had been dealing with some serious stomach pain and
    bloating and decided to do something after my Dr. Said everything looked fine. Tuesday morning started
    my journey. I am now 3 days without a Mt. Dew. I stopped cold turkey. I have been drinking water, which
    has never been in my diet. I feel good! I have a few cups of coffee throughout the day and continuously
    drink water. I am very suprised how easy this has been. I have not lost any weight asvof yet, but I am sure
    once my body comes out of its state of confusion, I will. I wish you luck and just know, you can do it .