How do you get past these late night eating urges

Options
124»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    skip breakfast and save calories for night time.

What he said. If you know you're gonna wanna eat at night - save some calories for then.

worst idea ever, sorry.

breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason... it kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day and chances are if you eat breakfast you'll stay less hungry throughout the day. You could try eating a lower calorie lunch maybe and save some room there, but DON'T skip breakfast...

I'll admit I am a guilty night time eater too, but you have to find what works. A good one for me is having some water, but with a crystal lite package in it cause then you are getting something sweet. I previously lost 40 pounds before I found this site, and that was something that always helped. Having some frozen berries (sounds weird, but works for me!) to snack on always makes me feel like I'm getting a little bit of a treat as well.

it's also called breakfast for a reason too.. you are breaking the fast you put your body in all night.. you wouldn't do 6-8 hours during the day without eating...

Everything you just posted is a complete myth. There is no reason to eat breakfast if you don't want to. You're spreading old-wives tales. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss. Eat when you want.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with that late night snack too, before I started losing weight I fixed it with a peanut butter and honey sandwich. I can assure you I haven't had one of those in over a year!

Usually I:

1. Brush my teeth / scope
    2. Drink water
    3. Walk the dog
    4. Go to bed
    5. Look at pictures of my progress to remind myself why I don't wanna snack.

6. Every once in a while if I'm under cal I'll go ahead and have a snack. But I keep it to a 100 cal pack of Lorna Doone's So yummy.

Mini Lorna Doone's are exceptional. :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I allocate calories for night snacking.I am hopeless! I usually have a WW chocolate ice cream bar.Sometimes string cheese and trop. 50
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    - Brush your teeth (no one likes to eat after that!)
    - Glass of water

I am going to have to try this!!
    Thanks
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    skip breakfast and save calories for night time.

What he said. If you know you're gonna wanna eat at night - save some calories for then.

worst idea ever, sorry.

breakfast is the most important meal of the day for a reason... it kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day and chances are if you eat breakfast you'll stay less hungry throughout the day. You could try eating a lower calorie lunch maybe and save some room there, but DON'T skip breakfast...

I'll admit I am a guilty night time eater too, but you have to find what works. A good one for me is having some water, but with a crystal lite package in it cause then you are getting something sweet. I previously lost 40 pounds before I found this site, and that was something that always helped. Having some frozen berries (sounds weird, but works for me!) to snack on always makes me feel like I'm getting a little bit of a treat as well.

it's also called breakfast for a reason too.. you are breaking the fast you put your body in all night.. you wouldn't do 6-8 hours during the day without eating...
    There's nothing wrong with skipping breakfast, and plenty of people would go 6-8 hours during the day without eating. Meal timing doesn't make any difference to weight loss. Like you say, you have to find what works for you. I sometimes eat breakfast, sometimes don't, but I always eat most of my calories after 7pm, and I always save calories for a snack before I go to bed. That works for me, and there's no guilt involved.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't.
    I keep grilled lean meats in the fridge, especially red meat and snack on that (thinly sliced) when I am starving at night.
    I think it is the late night carb snacks that were causing me problems in the first place.

That and if I am not really reallys starving from a workout then I will chug some water and brush my teeth. See if it doens't pass. But I work out a lot and find my protein needs are really high on those days.

Since i found this out I have little pain the days following a workout too. I have a yogurt and whey shake with fresh fruits or frozen fruits a little almond milk and my vitamin, glucosamine pill and fish oil.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    i just found this online today, and it's really harsh, but i think it's what's going to work...

Look at what you are about to eat. Are you hungry? Are you really hungry? Can you go without it? Think of how great you’ll feel. Push it to one side. Drink a glass of water. Now. Right now. Throw half the food away. Are you still hungry? Look in the mirror. Right now. Turn to the side. List from top to bottom what you want to change. Write them down. Read it. Twice. Go brush your teeth. Drink another glass of water. Do 10 situps. Don’t you feel great? Yeah, look at you! Look at the food. You odn’t wanna eat that. How great do you feel? How good are you doing? Throw the other half away. Give it to someone else. Put it up somewhere. I bet you feel good now. Do 10 pushups. Go take a shower. Look in the mirror. Turn to the side. That’s going to look so much better tomorrow morning. Think about what happens when you eat something. You chew it. You swallow it. It goes into your stomach. Your body slowly absorbs all those calories, all that sugar, all that fat. Go look in the mirror. Poke your belly. Squeeze your arms and legs. Drink a glass of water. Delicious, refreshing, filling water. No calories. Super healthy. Now think of someone skinny. Someone famous, someone you know. Super beautiful. You’re gonna look like them. Now think of someone fat. Someone you’ve seen, someone you know. You aren’t them. They envy you. They want to be you. Look at you. You are ****ing beautiful. Get up. Stretch. Feel your ribs. Think of that fat person. thing of all the fat covering their body. Chubby. Fat. Chunky. Squishy. Gross. Ovese. Tubby. Plump. Thick. Porky.
    Still hungry?

like i said. harsh. but whatever it takes to get the job done.

Well, that sounds healthy. Found it online... on a pro-ana website be any chance? :frown:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has nothing to do with weight control.

that seems to be a blanket staement that may work for some or even most- but I had tried both ways and eating the majority of my goal calories all in the evening before bed = weight gain; even good healthy foods. BUT the smaller, more frequent meal, ending arounf 7PM does work for me.

I think if a person eats one way and it doesn't work, then try a different way- Humans are too varied for 1 way to work for all of us.
  • SAMBALLS1
    SAMBALLS1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ALMONDS
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    1 serving of Metamucil (or your favorite fiber supplement)
    8oz of Water
    Pound it down
    Go to bed

Reward in the morning and no waking up from hunger during the night
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk, preferably warmed.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I have a big mug of hot caf. free peppermint tea w/ splenda ,gives me the "sweet" I think I want,hot,filling,& helps me to sleep.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I agree with only a couple of the posts...
    1. Go to bed
    2. Spoonful of peanut butter
    and 3. Drink some water and then go to bed....

Don't eat right before bed cause it will sit on your stomach and it will be hard to lose the weight. You always want to wait at least 2-3 hours of eating before going to bed. Make 9pm your cut off, if you're going to bed at 11pm. So far it's working for me :)

That is outdated myth.

If you are hungry before bed, EAT

It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you're at a deficit :)
  • RhoRocks
    RhoRocks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Late night binge eating and all cravings ended when I stopped eating wheat. My nutritionist recommended it for years, but it wasn't until I read "Wheat Belly" and all the reasons why wheat in my diet is not good for me, that I finally just stopped eating anything with wheat in it. After 3-4 days of a bad headache, every single craving I ever have, especially during stressful times, is gone. No sweet cravings after a meal. No craving for something crunchy, salty at night and zero craving to binge after the lights are out and all is quiet. The best part is that when I eat a meal, it stays with me. I don't get hungry in 2 hours like I used to.

it worked for me <shrugging> Perhaps you could try it
  • nascarted10
    nascarted10 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Peanut butter, water, water, water, and bed.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough through the day you shouldnt be hungry but if you are i find coffee with coffee mate works
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!