new walking shoes that tone????

Options
So I keep seeing these advertised...I think they are Reebok. Claim to have balance ball sort of action which tones you more while you walk. Not sure I am buying into it. Anyone tried them? I would love to become a believer but the skeptic in me wonders if a shoe can actually make a difference in toning. Opinions wanted please

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I liked these the first time I saw them.....

When they were called EARTH SHOES.... (~1970)

Keep your BS detector on full alert.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Look them up on Amazon.com and read the reviews to get more info on them.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I think you might br thinking of the Shape-up Shoe by Skechers. A member of the 50 + Womens Thread (under Fitness & Motivation) got some and seemed favorably impressed.

I am old enough to remember The Earth Shoe from the 1970's. This is NOT the same shoe or concept. So you can put your BS detector back in your pocket :bigsmile:

And by the way, the Earth Shoe was a godsend for my (then) husband, who suffered from back pain as a result of a spinal fusion. He had a job that required him to be on his feet most of the time, and until he found the Earth Shoe, he thought he would have to quit.
  • losingweightforme
    Options
    Reebok is advertising one now
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Tony Little has a line of shoes called Cheeks that follow the same premise as the 70's earth shoe- lower in the back (would drive me crazy). The Reebok Easy Tone sneakers have a "stability ball" built into the heel and ball of the foot. The Skechers shoes have a soft wedge that your heel sinks into which supposedly simulates walking in soft sand (and they look like Frankenstein shoes). To me, the Reeboks look the most promising, and I wouldn't mind trying them.

ts040909_easytone.jpg
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Fitflop also do them, they do shoes, trainers, flip flops, slippers (all new additions after the success of the flip flop fitflop!) and they claim to tone your legs noticeably more within a month and increase muscle activity 50% I think they sound awesome and they are tried and tested so I say go for it!

I want some! They've even brought out UGG STYLE ones wahey! :drinker:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I had a client ask me about the benefits of toning Sketchers. I looked hard and could only find 1 actual research article on the benefits. Yes - the ladies in the study got stronger from wearing them. But, when I reviewed the research it was on only 10 participants and 2 of the 10 dropped out due to pregnancy. One comment at the end of the study noted the women were told not to change their exercise patterns during the study but the women with the most strength gains admitted to walking more. There was no control group in this study and it would not make it into the medical journals... The company certainly is making a lot of claims off only 8 women.

Even the company website compares them to the older earth shoe concept to promote more upright posture by having heel lower than the forefoot.

My advice to my client was - if it will encourage you to do more, then go ahead and spend the $100. Make sure to follow the manufacture's advice to slowly introduce them into your daily life - you may become sore from overuse if you do to much to fast. I also suggested that she go to a store that sells them and try them out for 15 to 20 min and then wait until the next day to purchase them - to make sure that her body would tolerate the change in posture (she has a history of back problems)...

I have not researched the other brands of shoes that have been mentioned and dont plan to unless a client asks me about it. It took a half day to weed through the misinformation on the web and find the actual study that many sites were taking about but not giving the full story.

Just my 2 cents on the shoes. I do plan to try them on if I ever find a store that sells them :happy:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I saw this ad last night and was very intrigued. I am definitely going to look into it, especially because the shoes are actually really cute. Would you wear them during your workout, or no?
  • lissmiller
    Options
    I wear MBT sneakers and sandals as often as possible and I can feel the difference in which muscles are being used. MBT - all the way from ankle to hip, even abs; other good shoes - ankle and lower leg. The MBT's are very different from any other shoe I've worn.

I haven't tried the new sneakers but imagine they are similar, based on the ads.

The key to walking/running with MBT's -and perhaps with the new sneakers, also - is to shorten your stride a little, so your feet remain basically under your body, posture tall but relaxed. Whenyou step you step to the thickest part of the shoe. The motion created is smooth, almost rolling (and I believe more gentle on the knees). If you contract your abs first you can really tell when you're doing it right. With the MBT's it takes a bit of practice but is well worth it. Notice the "triangle" from each ankle to your lower abs, and you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

If the sneakers are less expensive thtn the MBT's I'd try them first - my only complaint about the MBT's is the price.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I saw this ad last night and was very intrigued. I am definitely going to look into it, especially because the shoes are actually really cute. Would you wear them during your workout, or no?

I walk 2-3 miles everyday...however winter is looming and I have recently moved to the midwest from the south so my outdoor walking time may quickly get changed to gym/treadmill time! I was thinking I would only use them for walking. I don't know. I just keep seeing the Reebok commercial and was curious if anyone had tried them. 100 bucks a pop...I don't know.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I also have a pretty bad case of plantar fac. so I am also wondering if this will help or hinder that. I guess the only way to find out is to get some and see what happens.
  • jadenfox
    jadenfox Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the off brand of the sketchers "thera-shoes". I love them. You definitly feel the walk you did in your legs after wearing them, I think they make you use diffrent muscles to walk, so you do get a more even workout.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

I think they are for walking not for workouts - do your research - I find it hard to believe that they'd make a big difference for anyone.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I tried on the Sketchers ones and they were really comfortable.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I think they are for walking not for workouts - do your research - I find it hard to believe that they'd make a big difference for anyone.

Like any fitness technology....the shoes aren't going to do the work for you. Any "toning" that does occur is probably the result from actual excersise and fat loss.

The fact that the use the word "toning" tells me all I need to know.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've tried on the Reebok ones and they are ridiculously comfy! I plan on getting a pair by the end of the year! To me they definitely change the way you walk and I do believe they will help in strengthening the calves and thighs. Just my two cents worth. :tongue:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    went to amazon and read the reviews per someone's advice a few posts up and after reading those, I think I will NOT spend 100 bucks on these shoes...guess I will just walk an extra mile a day instead!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    They would work different muscles/ work muscles harder than walking in regular shoes. Halloween night, I walked uphill in high heels for an hour, and the next day my shins were killing me. Any change of footwear changes the muslces that get the most stress.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    They would work different muscles/ work muscles harder than walking in regular shoes. Halloween night, I walked uphill in high heels for an hour, and the next day my shins were killing me. Any change of footwear changes the muslces that get the most stress.

Voice of reason. Yay! :drinker:

Not to mention a person will adapt to whatever new "stresses" these shoes supply very quickly, meaning that any positive effects will be minimal..
  • lissmiller
    Options
    Hey Everybody -
    I just want to empahsize, try them before you dismis them - I can't speak for the shoes you're talking about but I can speak for the MBT's - I was skeptical at first, but think about it - of course you still have to walk, so the "shoes" can't do that for you - but you can feel the difference almost immediately in which muscles are working and how much, depending on which shoes you wear. I love walking barefoot, and can walk a long way. When I then put my MBT's on another day, the same walk is so much.harder because my leg muscles are getting a better workout. My legs and butt (and belly!) are getting toned, so if that's important to you, consider trying something different.
    When I use my heavier training band, I get toned at a different rate - same with shoes.
    And I found the MBT's VERY comfortable from the get-go - which included a 5 mile walk up and down the hills of San Francisco 2 dyas after I got them. In my previous, comfortably broken-in, walking shoes I'd have been a blistered mess. Not one blister or sore spot with my brand new MBT's.
    I'm not trying to push them - just, give a different shoe a try if you want a different result.