Entertaining Food Ideas

Options
meggonkgonk
meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
This Saturday a good number of my boyfriend's family are coming over to see our apartment, and I was thinking that rather than the typical going out, I might try to make some healthy foods for everyone to pick at and then suggest we go out for a lighter dessert.

As the most people I ever cook for is two (and is often none), I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what types of food I could put out that may not get me that "She's feeding us *diet* food" eye roll I get when I put out a veggie platter and might appropriately go with the festivity type feel of entertaining. (Helpful websites, bloggers, or discussion threads welcome! :drinker: Snarky comments about bf's family just needing to 'deal with it' not so! :wink: )

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bacon wrapped shrimp
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have one thats very healthy but everyone devours it!

I call it Caprese Sticks! Its a handheld twist on traditional caprese salad - mozzarella, basil and tomato.

I take 2 cherry or grape tomatoes, 1 small cube of low fat mozzarella cheese and 2 small pieces of fresh basil leaves and space them out alternating on a skewer. Marinate them for about 15 minutes or so in a small amount of fat free balsamic vinegarette and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Make a BUNCH 'cause they'll be gone!

I display them standing up in a vase and they look like flowers! DELICIOUS!!!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options

I display them standing up in a vase and they look like flowers! DELICIOUS!!!

Nice! Thanks!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    bacon wrapped shrimp

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qiebl/

*Note- tried to picture this, but it wouldnt come through, so enjoy the link. It's safe. Promise.
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Deli slices of Honey ham, neufchatel cheese & green olives

lay the slice flat, squeeze a line of cheese across it, add a few olive slices & roll up.

Has a sweet & salty zing to it.