can't eat much protein - med related

Options
I was put on Sucralfate last week due to upper abdominal pain and low-mid grade fever. They ruled out pancreatits (thank God!) but want to see how this med helps me for ~ 2 weeks and then see how I feel. Got a bad feeling the pain will come back when I stop the meds. The Sucralfate works by inhibiting the pepsin in your stomach, great if you have an ulcer or something so that you aren't digesting yourself! However, since this has all started but especially since I started the meds every time I eat meat or even beans (anything with a protein kick) my tummy feels bad. I am eating less overall, not bad for weightloss, but not good when I am living on simple foods like pasta and applesauce! Anyone else go through anything similar or any suggestions for what to eat? I haven't had many veggies either because I am afraid they'll have similar issues. But I bought some of the Steamers with veggie/pasta combos in them to see how they sit. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're having a rough time of it. So glad you don't have pancreatitis!

Have you talked to your pharmacist or looked up the medicine on webMD? There may be some suggestions for foods that you can eat.

Try buying some fresh vegetables and cooking them as simply as possible. The steamers and other frozen mixed veggies may not be the best way of isolating foods that don't make your stomach upset.

Most produce sections have fresh (steamer) dishes like carrots, green beans or fresh spinach.