Has anyone ever read "Skinny *****" ?

Options

Replies

• AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i didn't read that one, but there was another that i really liked..."Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist’s Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her *kitten* Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer"
    follows the story of a woman losing a significant amount of weight and all the real-life struggles that go with the journey.

Skinny will be next on my list.
  • deadbambi
    deadbambi Posts: 368
    Options
    Aside from most everything in it being utter laughable BS, it was an entertaining read.

Ah well, I didn't ask for any negativity on the book. And not all of it is BS! a lot of it is very true. I do disagree with some things in it, but it makes valid points.
    sorry, it does not. I'm from a rancher family. So it entertaining to me reading about their conceptions of how our business works. (hint, what they think is reality, is not).

And their opinions on how meat works is really just that, opinion. when you do things like read pub med, a different picture is painted. For those in the know you can spot it immediately. grains of truth, amongst heaps of BS. But for those with pre conceived notions of how diet works, I can see why they are easily fooled.

OH man. Okay. well you assuming that all "rancher family's" are the same is silly.
    don't be bias!!
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    Never heard of it... what's it about?
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Aside from most everything in it being utter laughable BS, it was an entertaining read.

Ah well, I didn't ask for any negativity on the book. And not all of it is BS! a lot of it is very true. I do disagree with some things in it, but it makes valid points.
    sorry, it does not. I'm from a rancher family. So it entertaining to me reading about their conceptions of how our business works. (hint, what they think is reality, is not).

And their opinions on how meat works is really just that, opinion. when you do things like read pub med, a different picture is painted. For those in the know you can spot it immediately. grains of truth, amongst heaps of BS. But for those with pre conceived notions of how diet works, I can see why they are easily fooled.

OH man. Okay. well you assuming that all "rancher family's" are the same is silly.
    don't be bias!!
    actually I'm pretty sure the book is who assumed that everything is the same. Perhaps you should reread it. Tell me about the exceptions the book paints about how cattle is raised for example.
  • deadbambi
    Options

don't be bias!!
    actually I'm pretty sure the book is who assumed that everything is the same. Perhaps you should reread it. Tell me about the exceptions the book paints about how cattle is raised for example.

No man, i think you need to re-read it :P look , agree to disagree. I don't care to fight with a stranger on the internet who likes to think they're better than me lol.
    They were raising awareness on how SOME things SPECIFICALLY were done. take a look at their index :)
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    Couldn't get past their constant use of unnecessary profanity in an attempt to drive their point home. It's one thing to use the shock value for the title, but I had a hard time taking the book seriously when it was littered with profanity. Didn't make it past the first chapter or two myself. But as others have said, to each their own.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

When you post your opinion others are going to post theirs. That's how the internet works...
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Couldn't get past their constant use of unnecessary profanity in an attempt to drive their point home. It's one thing to use the shock value for the title, but I had a hard time taking the book seriously when it was littered with profanity. Didn't make it past the first chapter or two myself. But as others have said, to each their own.

haha yea I understand. I suppose its geared towards a specific personality group! :)
  • deadbambi
    Options

When you post your opinion others are going to post theirs. That's how the internet works...

I'm not dumb :P i know that. It just doesn't have to be stated so know-it-all ish !
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Read it, went veggie for 6 months, but ehhhh, I like the taste of cows.
    Plus, they said no drugs even when you have cramps. If not for those I would kill everyone in site.

But hey, if you liked it, awesome! I encourage reading and learning.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Read it, went veggie for 6 months, but ehhhh, I like the taste of cows.
    Plus, they said no drugs even when you have cramps. If not for those I would kill everyone in site.

But hey, if you liked it, awesome! I encourage reading and learning.

oh Yea hell no, I wasn't listening to the no drugs bit :P
    There were a few things they said that i was like "um no." xD
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No man, i think you need to re-read it :P look , agree to disagree. I don't care to fight with a stranger on the internet who likes to think they're better than me lol.
    They were raising awareness on how SOME things SPECIFICALLY were done. take a look at their index :)
    hmm, since when was this about who is better than who? Whats with you thinking a disagreement about science is a personal insult???

Read this: http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat/

Notice how this conflicts a lot with the book. Notice how the book doesn't cite a lot of their opinion. Hell, lets see what people who read the book think. Notice the people who like it, just to like it because of how it sounds, and not facts. Apparently making you laugh while reading it makes what it says true. Notice the people who disagree with the book talk about things in science words.

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/0762424931/ref=cm_cr_dp_syn_footer?k=Skinny *****&showViewpoints=1

the book is entertaining. But it's a fiction book pushing a vegan agenda. It is NOT a guideline for healthy eating. Sorry to shake your reality.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Kinda curious... I'll message you my email.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    hmm, since when was this about who is better than who? Whats with you thinking a disagreement about science is a personal insult???

Read this: http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat/

Notice how this conflicts a lot with the book. Notice how the book doesn't cite a lot of their opinion. Hell, lets see what people who read the book think. Notice the people who like it, just to like it because of how it sounds, and not facts. Apparently making you laugh while reading it makes what it says true. Notice the people who disagree with the book talk about things in science words.

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/0762424931/ref=cm_cr_dp_syn_footer?k=Skinny *****&showViewpoints=1

the book is entertaining. But it's a fiction book pushing a vegan agenda. It is NOT a guideline for healthy eating. Sorry to shake your reality.

K.~
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I read it, and the writing is good, the advice is bad. For good advice on social consciousness eating, try Michael Pollan's, "In Defense of Food." Scientifically based good advice from someone who is actually educated in nutrition, biology and ecology.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Here's a nice website to read http://thekindlife.com/
    I can't claim to know everything about meat production, in fact I know very little other than the bits I learnt living near an abattoir, but I am happy enough without meat in my life :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    I thought they were funny and entertaining, but I like" straight forward, say what you're thinking" people. I work I health care and would LOVE to tell some patients a thing or two! Lol... I think they're unrealistic about calories. We're here to get healthy, not just skinny. Re- read it every now and then for a motivational reality check!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Oh Oops! It's a PDF. If anyone wants to personally message me their email i'll be happy to forward it ^-^

If you wouldn't mind sending it to me in PDF form, I'd be interested in seeing it.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Oh Oops! It's a PDF. If anyone wants to personally message me their email i'll be happy to forward it ^-^

If you wouldn't mind sending it to me in PDF form, I'd be interested in seeing it.

just message me your email :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Dumb book and if I recall it perpetuated a lot of bullish.

I read it, and fell for all the BS, as well as the BS in Forks Over Knives. That was in March, and since then I have lost 76 pounds, and look and feel better than I have in YEARS. I have a TON of energy, and can run circles around most of my family. All of my lab work is fabulous, and everyone I work with tells me I glow. So if it's not your thing, that's okay, but it is DEFINITELY NOT BS!!!!