Shirataki Noodle - Anyone try it? Like? Dislike? Ideas?

Options
I've seen these noodles in the store and it seems that their claim to fame is free from calories, net carbs, soy, gluten, fat, sodium, and preservatives.

Of course I don't expect it be as great as pasta or the Chinese noodles I'm used to...but how are they really?

Ideas on how to prepare them...

Any and all input welcomed!!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I tried them. I'd rather eat regular pasta.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've looked for them and can't seem to find them.

Where would they be? In the health food aisle? In the asian aisle?

And does the packagage actually say "Shirataki"? I'm always looking for it but haven't seen them once.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I haven't tried them but I did get an email the other day from a UK health food company advertising a brand called "Miracle" noodles.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    They are refrigerated. In the stores in my area they can be found near the tofu & bagged salads. Personally, to me, they're slimy & weird so I don't eat them.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried them yet, but I also can't find them here. May have to order them!
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    They are slimy no matter what I do to them. Very low in calories but I'll only eat them in soups to combat the texture.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've had them and I really like them actually. I would not use them as a traditional "pasta" substitute, but for me, they're very similar to other asian noodles. I actually really enjoy them. Just toss them in with a stir fry of veggies, a bit of garlic, sesame seed oil and low sodium soy sauce and voila! Instant asian-y goodness
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I bought a package at the Asian grocery store 2 weeks ago, they're still in my fridge waiting to be tried.
  • jenniferbwalker
    jenniferbwalker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prefer buckwheat (soba) noodles. Half the calories of regular pasta but still tastes good
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Had the Linguini and as long as you rinse well they are great. If you want pasta but on a low carb diet, use them. Tofu noodles.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've tried them - twice. I can't deal with the texture or the smell (they smell fishy to me). I'd rather just have a high-fiber pasta and be happy.
  • mangoduck
    mangoduck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles, Miracle noodles, whatever. Some varieties have tofu in them, so they do have more calories, but I prefer the texture a bit better. Typically in the section by the tofu or in an Asian market, in the general refrigerated aisle. Some varieties aren't kept cold.

First warning: they smell horrific when you open the package. Keep washing them. And washing them. And then wash them some more. Most of the smell will go away,

Dry fry them until they're, well, dry. They get less slimy and a tiny bit less rubbery.
  • kashmirdreamer
    kashmirdreamer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They taste initially like noodles but chew like rubber. They have a rubber plastic-y texture when you chew that ruins them.

I found them at all grocery stores in my area in the refrigerator tofu section (near salads).
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use them, they are good but they really are just a bulker and need lots of flavour to accompany them
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally have not tried them myself. But I do hear that they are supposed to take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love them and buy them regularly. I have 3 bags of them in the fridge now. I get them at Clark's Nutrition.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in buying them i JUST saw a deal on groupon for them (funny you should post!) I'm happy to send you the link if you send me a message.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just got a groupon email regarding these:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/dc-bst-gg-nooodle-shirataki-0-calorie-noodle?c=dnb&p=6

I'm not sure if it's a good deal or what... I've never bought them. But maybe someone can use it..lol.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    They're kind of rubbery and crunchy - if you've had Chinese radishes or anything like that you might have an idea of what they're like. Sort of like thick rice vermicelli, but not as soft. You can buy them as loose noodles or little bundles from Oriental grocers (I work at one) - you can unravel the bundles, so it doesn't make much difference, and they're almost always cheaper.

Traditionally you stick them into Chinese-style soups and hotpots, though I like them with curry - if you want them to absorb any flavour, you have to add liquid and heat them. They're pretty good mixed into salads with vinaigrette, though.
  • reenasamaan
    reenasamaan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use them, they are good but they really are just a bulker and need lots of flavour to accompany them

I completely agree with this. They don't really have a lot of flavor but can be added to a dish to fill you up a little more. I don't really use it in meals but in snacks. I just had some today with vegan chili (I'm from Cincinnati so chili over spaghetti is super common). And it was great! They work great in soups and Chinese food as well.