Do I change my "Activity Level" ??

Ok, so when I joined MFP, I selected that I was sedentary because, well, I have a desk job. I still have that job. Sometimes, on my a rest day, I will not move very many steps at all (poor fitbit flower :cry: ). But, should I change it now that I work out 4-6 times a week?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hmm thats a good question. i myself am in the same situation. i would leave it the same because technically you're really only working out for an hour or so a day and spend 8+sitting on your butt.
  • pepin1224
    pepin1224 Posts: 21 Member
    I have a similar question, do you change it daily? like if you're active on weekends but not during the week or the other way around.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I would leave it set to sedentary but log your workouts.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Ok, so when I joined MFP, I selected that I was sedentary because, well, I have a desk job. I still have that job. Sometimes, on my a rest day, I will not move very many steps at all (poor fitbit flower :cry: ). But, should I change it now that I work out 4-6 times a week?

Thanks in advance!

If you are logging your exercise, the site is already "giving you back" your calories for that exercise, so no - you would not change your lifestyle.

If you are NOT logging your exercise, then you can choose to set your lifestyle to accommodate your daily exercise.

The math works out the same - the former is more accurate and the latter is more convenient.

Also, to answer pepin1224's question: If you want to adjust your lifestyle to account for exercise, it's OK to go with an average if you want. As long as the calories come out about right every week, you're good (some days you'll eat "under" and others you'll eat "over", but it's all good as long as you have a reasonable average deficit going on).
  • I haven't changed mine either since it sounded like it was based on what you did for the majority of the day; not the level of exercise.
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks to all! I'm going to leave it bc I do sit at a desk the majority of the day M-F AND because I log my workouts (and/or my fitbit does it). Seems to be the best, most accurate way to do it.