Does anyone know the answer to this?

Options
2»

Replies

• MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    SharonB . . .You don't subract calories off of your BMR. You subtract the calories off of your Maintenance Calorie needs. If you need 2000 to maintain your current weight you would subtract 500 to lose 1 lb per week - 1500 then add back in what you burn exercising. BMR is the absolute basic calories you body needs just to function. You don't want to go under that number for an extended period - say more than 1 day. See the post in General Discussion titled "THE answers to THE questions" A lot of good info in there.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Thanks for all the info....sometimes senility creeps up and I just don't quite understand things the way I should. :laugh: So I went back into my goals and set it up for maintaining my present weight (which I don't want to be) and it told me I needed 1570 calories to maintain so I guess if I subtract off the 500 calorie deficit I will still be below the recommended 1200 calorie cutoff. I guess I will just have to resign myself to losing the weight slower but knowing that I am not harming my body along the way. Oh well, I guess being the turtle in the race has it's benefits. Thanks again for answering my questions.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, yes. When you have that last little bit to lose, it goes pretty slow! (or so I've heard! :laugh: Maybe someday I'll get to experience trying to lose those last few!) Keep on keeping on and if you feel stuck, maybe change up the exercise routine a little (or a lot!) Once it warms up there are lots more possibilities - have fun while finishing up your journey!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    after I lost my first 10lbs it automatically changed my calorie intake.

Holy cow! I didn't know it did that. I just checked mine because I lost 10 pounds and sure enough my calories went down from 1210 to 1200.

What a website! :happy:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info....sometimes senility creeps up and I just don't quite understand things the way I should. :laugh: So I went back into my goals and set it up for maintaining my present weight (which I don't want to be) and it told me I needed 1570 calories to maintain so I guess if I subtract off the 500 calorie deficit I will still be below the recommended 1200 calorie cutoff. I guess I will just have to resign myself to losing the weight slower but knowing that I am not harming my body along the way. Oh well, I guess being the turtle in the race has it's benefits. Thanks again for answering my questions.

Sharon, 1570 seems pretty low for maintenance calories if you are at a weight where you are needing to lose. If you don't mine me asking, how tall are you and how much do you currently weigh?
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Sharon, 1570 seems pretty low for maintenance calories if you are at a weight where you are needing to lose. If you don't mine me asking, how tall are you and how much do you currently weigh?

No, I don't mind you asking, I am 5'6" and weigh 132 lbs right now. I know that does not seem like a lot and I am in a healthy BMI range, but I have a very slight build and it is too much weight for me Many years ago I weighed between 110-115 lbs and that was too thin, now I just want to weigh between 120 and 125. I do know that the more toning up I do will probably make me rethink those numbers, but for now that is my goal.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    that seems about right.