Paxil

Options
My doctor prescribed Paxil for me yesterday for anxiety issues. I've never been on any medications, ever. I researched this a little and I'm on the fence. I'm super scared of the weight gain side affects. Anyone take this and have any advice?

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I took Paxil for quite a while. I did not gain weight on it, but it made me SOOOO SLEEPY! All I ever wanted to do was sleep. Long afternoon naps when ever possible. It was horrible. I changed to Wellbutrin and stopped all the excessive sleeping. I think no two people respond the same way. I hope it will work well for you. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've seen it work wonders, but like all meds it's not right for everyone. My best friend in high school took it for 2 weeks. We've dubbed that the "Paxil Incident" as she was so sleepy all the time, that she would actually fall asleep if she sat for too long (she, too switched to Wellbutrin). But, that was her- my aunt took it and it was the best thing ever for her.

Good luck! I hope it works for you!

ETA- no one I knew gained on it.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for the last two years--I only gained weight b/c I ate poorly and was under a lot of stress. I'd only say I'm about as sleepy as anybody else who's getting up at 5am to run. Personally it helps me focus and calms down a lot of the constant anxiety.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Paxil is evil. I was prescribed to it for social anxiety when I was 15. I took it for 2 1/2 years and I feel like it was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I am still scared of the long term effects it might have caused me. I was quiet and shy and never got into trouble, then I went on Paxil and had detention everyday and got suspended on many occasions. It made my conscience disappear and I was totally reckless. Getting off of it is also hell.

I have been dealing with anxiety for a long time and my best advice to you is: exercise everyday and eat healthy. That has done more for me than any pill ever did (and I have tried a number of them). Chamomile tea also helps. Good luck and feel free to add me if you need any support/advice.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a short period of time didn't gain weight but had no energy for anything.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while on Paxil, but if I had been watching my diet I don't think I would have gained. Paxil helped me feel better, but I had terrible side effects when I was trying to get off of it. I followed doctors orders and weaned myself off of it, but it caused a strange zapping sensation in my head. I won't ever take it again.
  • Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, see ..... So many mixed reviews. I guess I'll just have to do my own trial and error. I am scared of the "zapping" that I've read about. I hear that it sticks around for months even years after the Paxil is stopped. I read about terrible sexual side effects too. I took my first dose today and I feel like I've taken a Benzo, just super chill.

I feel strongly about diet and exercise being great medicine also, but I think I need a little extra help sometimes. Like days when the gym membership over draws my account...aggggggh ! lol

Thanks for the info y'all

:)