Embarassed to use free weights

Options
I just started going to gym, I've never lifted weights before, so I did a lot of searching around and came up with a good 4 day routine with free weights. But I'm to nervous to go over there where all the fit muscular men and women are who know what there doing.

I'm just some fat chick who's never lifted weights in her life who's probably doing it wrong to begin with.

Any advice on how I can overcome this fear?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Hey, that will be me starting Saturday! So you're not alone! Let's just paint moustaches on, noone will ever know :wink:
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Is there a time of day when the gym is less crowded? I'd try to find such a time and familiarize myself with the equipment. After that, well, you probably just have to go for it. It's not such a big deal.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Good one! Thank you I still need reminded even though its my profile pic.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can do a few personal training sessions? Form is definitely important and I think that starting out a personal trainer is helpful.

You'll also see plenty of people using bad form so don't assume watching others will work.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Is there a time of day when the gym is less crowded? I'd try to find such a time and familiarize myself with the equipment. After that, well, you probably just have to go for it. It's not such a big deal.

I already go at 5 am so it won't get less crowds than that but there's still a decent amount of people by weights. Damn early birds!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    The first time I went to a gym I had no clue what to do. I found someone who worked there, told him I was new and asked him to help get me started. He walked me through a basic routine and I took it from there!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    :)

Just be cool. Don't curl in the squat rack.

Do cool stuff. Like deadlift, overhead press, full squat. You'll get mad respect.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yep, get in there and show those boys what you're made of!! You deserve to be there as much as anyone else!
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I literally just had to do this last Monday. I just walked over there and didn't pay attention to anyone else. I've been in the freeweights section 4 times now, and it's really fun. The guys usually have their headphones in and aren't paying any attention to me. Its kinda nice to get some glances like woah, theres a woman here! but they last only milliseconds and then the boys go back to what everyone's there to do: work out, not judge others for working out as well :)
  • nickmast78
    Options
    I would definitely take advantage of a Personal Trainer if you have the option. This will not only get you started on proper form but routine as well.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Feel the fear and do it anyway. There is no easy way, there are no shortcuts. Every day you walk into that weight room and step out of your comfort zone, you will be victorious. You deserve to be fit and healthy just as much as the big guys that work out in there. The only way to get comfortable in the gym is to walk through the discomfort until you get there. I have been there, and it will get better. I feel at home in the gym now, but it wasn't always like that. Just focus on what you've got to do and DO it. :flowerforyou:
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    :)

Just be cool. Don't curl in the squat rack.

Do cool stuff. Like deadlift, overhead press, full squat. You'll get mad respect.

This. Don't let what anyone "thinks" of you get in the way! If they're people with half a brain, they'll realize what you're doing is pretty awesome. Everyone has to start somewhere. And if they are looking at you, they're looking at you because you're becoming one of them. :) Good luck!!
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    go onto bodybuilder.com it will show you how to use weights and some routines. That might make you more comfortable to have a little knowledge behind you.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    90% of the other people using the free weights don't really know what they are doing either... You'll be fine. That or if the point and laugh, point and laugh back... just point a little lower than they are. :wink:
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options

^^^ THIS! Everyone has to start SOMEWHERE...and if you are fearful of looking silly...then you will never learn or progress. And now being one of those "woman that know what to do on the weights side of the gym", I PROMISE you no one is paying you ANY attention...they are there to work out themselves...UNLESS you are the hot chick that wears spandex and a sports bra to lift in...then we are ALL paying attention to you...

Stop worrying...and start doing! I love to lift!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First, remember that a lot of the people there were probably not all that fit when they started. Many of them will respect your effort and some may even offer advice. The biggest thing about trying to use free weights is to follow the rules. Put your weights back when you are done, wipe off equipment that you use and don't take someone else's spot if they are using it. It won't be long and you'll feel like you belong there.

If that doesn't work, picture in your mind how funny the muscular people would look with red clown noses on their faces and speaking with squeaky voices. I'd say picture them all naked, but that might make it hard to concentrate!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just recently got over this. My first time in that area, I was nervous and physically shaking. I did the little exercises I had planned out in my mind, and just "closed my eyes and took a deep breath" and did it!!!! And you know what, the next time I went in that area, I didn't shake, my heart didn't race as much and so on.....get in there and just do it!!!! It gets more and more easier, trust me. And some of the regulars smile now, or nod...as if to say "yea, it's cool your here". I'm so confident now, I'm practically pushing them out of my way to get my stff done LOL!
  • DazEyre
    DazEyre Posts: 3
    Options
    Just ask one of them. A lot of them will be glad to help you and admire you for having a go.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Go to www.bodybuilding.com and watch the videos of exercises you'd like to do, then you can be sure you're doing them properly. Fake your confidence and eventually you won't have to, you'll really know what you're doing.