Thanksgiving: What will you make?

Options
Healthy recipes and ideas for the thanksgiving holiday?!?

traditions?
healthy twists on old favs?
anything lol

Last year was my first year making it all by my self this is what i made
dffw91.jpg
turkey
ham
bean beans with bacon
stuffing
mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk
butternut squash with garlic and cheese
corn bread
crescent rolls
gravy
cranberry sauce (not one spoon got eaten)

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Nothing, my husband does the cooking.....
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hate turkey, ham to salty...steak maybe?
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is a day to cheat! (At least for me). However I do plan on cutting 100 calories a day for the week leading up to turkey day to avoid gaining weight.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'll be making a traditional spread, as always:
    Roast turkey
    Sweet dinner rolls
    Green bean casserole
    Corn
    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    Cranberry sauce

I've always used full-fat dairy products (butter, cream) in my cooking, but your post has me thinking about ways I can make it healthier. For example, for the green bean casserole, I can use fat-free cottage cheese instead of full-fat sour cream for the filling mixture, and top it with onions caramelized in a little olive oil instead of French's fried onions. For the mashed potatoes, I can nix the cream altogether and decrease the butter, instead using homemade chicken broth to add flavor and moisture. The sweet dinner rolls can be sweetened with a touch of honey instead of refined sugar. I can make a good gravy with using a fraction of the amount of roux I normally use, and instead let a thinner mixture simmer/reduce down.

Great post, thanks for giving me ideas! :-)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband does the cooking, but he'll be making all of the traditionals. Thanksgiving is my absolutely FAVORITE holiday and you don't screw with my thanksgiving dinner. My mom tried to make homemade sourdough biscuits one year but I INSISTED on the cheap-@ss brown and serve rolls because that's what we ALWAYS have. We now refer to them as CARS in our house! :) My parents weren't at my house last year, but my husband insisted in making my mom's stuffing for me because he knew I'd miss it! :)

Edited to add our standard menu:

Turkey
    Giblet Stuffing (His mom's)
    Sage stuffing (My Mom's)
    Cranberry sauce and jelly
    mashed potatoes
    Rolls
    corn and/or green beans
    Green Bean casserole
    Pie (usually apple, pumpkin, and cherry)
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    We're all about the tradition here... roast turkey & gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, glazed carrots, cranberry sauce, my 3 bread stuffing and sweet potato pie for dessert.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I made this brussels sprouts and carrot casserole last year, and my family really loved it... I'm definitely going to do it again.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Spicy-Brussels-Sprouts-and-Carrots
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday, so I always do it large and have some traditional items and a couple of new recipes. I don't care about calories or fat or anything on that day! I really don't worry about holiday weight gain. We live away from family so we don't go to any gatherings with food and we don't go to any Christmas parties. When I cook it's just for the 3 of us, and I don't do any holiday baking (I'd rather have a good meal than a fatty dessert).

I have already started craving Thanksgiving dinner this year! I have been known to start planning the menu as early as September. :tongue:
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I am a creature of habit. This is what our menu looks like:

For snacks/appetizers:
    - A fresh veggie tray
    - Coffee cake;
    - Roasted cinnamon apples (I bake them with cinnamon & a bit of brown sugar - no butter needed)

For the main dinner:
    - Roast turkey breast (we don't care for the dark meat);
    - Steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower & squash blend;
    - Mashed potatoes (minus the butter - I use chicken broth instead!);
    - Green beans - probably fresh sauteed with a bit of garlic and a teeny bit of oil, but maybe the traditional casserole using fresh beans & more of them, light cream of mushroom soup, dried onion flakes blended in, and skip the greasy french fried onions on top;
    - Lightened up yam casserole (about half is actually butternut squash);
    - Homemade buttery swirl rolls (this is the only place where I don't swap for lighter options - except on the eggs)

For dessert:
    - Homemade pumpkin pie (I have a recipe that swaps out many of the loaded parts for lighter options - roughly half as many calories);
    - Homemade peach pie (also lightened up);
    - And probably some form of homemade cookies and/or ice cream or whatever appeals to the group.

I do a mini version of this for me & my hubby the week prior, then the full shebang for the whole family on the actual day of.

And I totally forgot about the dressing! That too. Yum...
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Roast beef
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Green Beans
    Cinnamon Baked Apples
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    My family loves the standard holiday favorites, so for Thanksgiving and Christmas,I make them, just enough for the day. The days after, leftover turkey or ham with healthy sides.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I will make........myself sick on delicious, delicious turkey and the satisfaction of not having to see my inlaws this year. but if i cook, probably sausage balls.
  • Skeptical_Jess
    Skeptical_Jess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually roast a large chicken (we get HUGE Chickens - like 11lbs) from the Hutterites here in Alberta...
    I serve it with Broccolini done with Lemon & Garlic
    Carrots with Butter & Fresh Dill (REAL Butter, not margerine, and not a ton of butter.)
    And my Cheese "Mashed Potatoes" (I use half cauliflower/half potatoes) and I add Parmesan and Romano Cheese when I mash them.
  • Skeptical_Jess
    Skeptical_Jess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh and I make stuffing for the Chicken (with sausage and bacon and multigrain bread) and I baste the chicken with Beer.
    And I make gravy out of the drippings.
    So not the healthiest meal but if you eat it in moderation, it's fine. and it's DELICIOUS.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I kicked the traditional "sit and eat all day" tradition to the curb many years ago. Now I cook most of the classics, but pack them in a picnic and we go hunting. It's been great. I would much rather give thanks by doing something I love with people I love than just by eating and going through the motions. And we are always very thankful for the meat we generally leave with. :)
  • MissShancey
    Options
    I kicked the traditional "sit and eat all day" tradition to the curb many years ago. Now I cook most of the classics, but pack them in a picnic and we go hunting. It's been great. I would much rather give thanks by doing something I love with people I love than just by eating and going through the motions. And we are always very thankful for the meat we generally leave with. :)

love that!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Smoked Turkey
    stuffing
    biscuits
    roasted carrots and squash
    green bean casserole-my DD fav
    I also like roasted brussel sprouts

I buy the pies...
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'll be making a traditional spread, as always:
    Roast turkey
    Sweet dinner rolls
    Green bean casserole
    Corn
    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    Cranberry sauce

I've always used full-fat dairy products (butter, cream) in my cooking, but your post has me thinking about ways I can make it healthier. For example, for the green bean casserole, I can use fat-free cottage cheese instead of full-fat sour cream for the filling mixture, and top it with onions caramelized in a little olive oil instead of French's fried onions. For the mashed potatoes, I can nix the cream altogether and decrease the butter, instead using homemade chicken broth to add flavor and moisture. The sweet dinner rolls can be sweetened with a touch of honey instead of refined sugar. I can make a good gravy with using a fraction of the amount of roux I normally use, and instead let a thinner mixture simmer/reduce down.

Great post, thanks for giving me ideas! :-)

Yes! I totally forgot about the carmelized onions I did on my casserole last year. They rocked! So much better than the french fried ones. Also, I sub plain old milk for the sour cream. It's still delish!
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I believe it's my grandma's turn this year. I would expect the usual:

- Turkey
    - Mashed potatoes
    - Cranberry sauce
    - Stuffing
    - Gravy
    - Pumpkin pie and ice cream

and of course, the reason I come home for Thanksgiving, my great-aunt's corn casserole. It's like corn, cornbread and creamed corn had some kind of incestuous food orgy in a casserole dish and made a delicious baby. It's probably terrible for you but I could not possibly care less. It's ****ing Thanksgiving, I'll walk home or something.