Another depression post

Options
I can't help noticing there are a lot of people on here, posting in the forums, who suffer from some form of depression or another. I've often wondered and even read several books on, what has caused such a huge increase in depression in society today. But that's not why I'm writing this. What I am curious about is, how many people, like myself, ignored the depression for the most part of life for numerous reasons and blamed the weight gain on everything they could possibly think of?

I didn't understand until about a year ago just how adversely depression had affected my life. I have suffered from since I was a child. Unfortunately I lived in a family that essentially ignored mental disorders, even though a vast number of my family members suffer from one. It was never talked about and the general attitude was "just get over it". I was at the point of contemplating suicide many different times when I was younger.

How did I cope? Food. Books. Food. Hiding. Food. It never occurred to me to actually address the real issues, I had no idea what they where. I was taught to ignore such things, to man up. In my family shrinks where quacks and charlatans. What did they know about things anyway.

So after a lifetime of sever depression, the inevitable happened. I snapped. Like a rubber band wrapped one time to many. Boing. Off my rocker. For two months straight I suffered from almost constant panic and anxiety attacks. It was a horrid experience I would wish on no one. I somehow made it through without completely losing my mind, or my life and that was mostly due to therapists helping me deal with my issues.

So here I am, working on the depression, learning how to live with it. I don't think it will ever completely go away. Depression has so many variances. Mine is a product of both my environment couples with learned behaviors and wonky brain wiring. So, to my point (can you believe it, I actually do have one) if you're still reading this is; how many people try to tackle weight loss without first dealing with the issues that caused the weight gain in the first place? I did for a long time. I could never understand why my diets always failed so miserably. I always returned to food for the comfort, for all the wrong reasons.

Some of the stories I have read on here make me so sad. One of the things about finally dealing with my issues is that I've become hyper aware of them in others. It's kind of like when I stopped smoking and could suddenly smell a cigarette a block away. I read these forums and I want to frequently scream at people to get some help. Yet I know that until they make that choice for themselves and do it for the right reasons, it will do no good. They ask for help and support and all I can think is, seek therapy. But I know many of them won't. They will continue to battle the beast alone as I did. You can't win the war until you understand the enemy.

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    I've had various forms of depression over the last 15 years. Post natal three times, and that was hard. But last year my world pretty much fell apart for me, and it is the hardest year I've had.
    Thankfully depression is starting to be recognised and understood, but there is still so much stigma attached to it.

I imagine millions are suffering in silence, and it saddens me, but I think unless you've been there, you rarely understand it. Having a bad day is not the same as those black dogs beating down your door relentlessly. xxx
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I can't help noticing there are a lot of people on here, posting in the forums, who suffer from some form of depression or another. I've often wondered and even read several books on, what has caused such a huge increase in depression in society today. But that's not why I'm writing this. What I am curious about is, how many people, like myself, ignored the depression for the most part of life for numerous reasons and blamed the weight gain on everything they could possibly think of?

I didn't understand until about a year ago just how adversely depression had affected my life. I have suffered from since I was a child. Unfortunately I lived in a family that essentially ignored mental disorders, even though a vast number of my family members suffer from one. It was never talked about and the general attitude was "just get over it". I was at the point of contemplating suicide many different times when I was younger.

How did I cope? Food. Books. Food. Hiding. Food. It never occurred to me to actually address the real issues, I had no idea what they where. I was taught to ignore such things, to man up. In my family shrinks where quacks and charlatans. What did they know about things anyway.

So after a lifetime of sever depression, the inevitable happened. I snapped. Like a rubber band wrapped one time to many. Boing. Off my rocker. For two months straight I suffered from almost constant panic and anxiety attacks. It was a horrid experience I would wish on no one. I somehow made it through without completely losing my mind, or my life and that was mostly due to therapists helping me deal with my issues.

So here I am, working on the depression, learning how to live with it. I don't think it will ever completely go away. Depression has so many variances. Mine is a product of both my environment couples with learned behaviors and wonky brain wiring. So, to my point (can you believe it, I actually do have one) if you're still reading this is; how many people try to tackle weight loss without first dealing with the issues that caused the weight gain in the first place? I did for a long time. I could never understand why my diets always failed so miserably. I always returned to food for the comfort, for all the wrong reasons.

Some of the stories I have read on here make me so sad. One of the things about finally dealing with my issues is that I've become hyper aware of them in others. It's kind of like when I stopped smoking and could suddenly smell a cigarette a block away. I read these forums and I want to frequently scream at people to get some help. Yet I know that until they make that choice for themselves and do it for the right reasons, it will do no good. They ask for help and support and all I can think is, seek therapy. But I know many of them won't. They will continue to battle the beast alone as I did. You can't win the war until you understand the enemy.

/brofist

Great post. I can't even begin to say how much working with a professional helped me as well. I'm not sure if some people view getting professional mental help as a weakness, but I think it's the exact opposite. To know that there's a problem and doing something about it shows strength.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    have been aware that I have bouts of depression and have been medicated for it a few times, but haven't done the counseling since high school- was in a group therapy type thing in high school. Knew about it going in, but waited too long after having my first baby, and my post partum was pretty bad. I went in to the second pregnancy fully aware of my issues, and also asked for more help from friends and family- so I ended up doing pretty well, dealing pretty well with everything, but know that my weight issues often are affected by my moods, and I know I'm an emotional eater, and have a food addiction.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options

You can't win the war until you understand the enemy.

I couldn't agree more. I wish you all the best!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also became depressed as a child because I was experiencing traumatic abuse at home. My teachers were calling home and telling my mother I was severely depressed, I'd stopped talking and that something was wrong. But, it went untreated. When I was in college I went to therapy. I did not know I was depressed. I thought that it was just normal to feel that way. The therapist explained that I was depressed and that if I took meds I would actually see my school performance improve. I was very skeptical, but I gave it a try. She said I could try it for one year. So, I took the meds and I did suddenly enjoy life more and feel motivated and was able to accomplish everything. Also my friends that were against meds also told me that they had thought the depression was just my personality, but when they saw my improvement they said they understood that I had been very depressed and they were glad I treated it. I took the meds for just one year while I was in therapy. And because I dealt with the emotional issues and learned about how to have a healthy, happy life, I was able to go off the meds. I still sometimes struggle with depression, but I deal with it through exercise and a healthy diet. I know that for most people that does not work. It works for me because my depression was probably not chemical, but was from the trauma I experienced.
  • vfinkenstadt
    Options
    Thank you for this post; for sharing yourself.

One of the things I've come to realize is that it's okay to admit that I am imperfect and ephemeral. That's life. Another thing I've realized is that I can be happy.

Thank you again.
  • peterhern
    Options
    I've had untreated depression for years. Very similar upbringing where things weren't dealt with.
    My current environment is filled with people who are not supportive of me in an effort to get professional help, but I am fighting through that resistance. And I will win that fight if I keep reminding myself they try to thwart my effort because they know they need help, too, but are stuck in their own problems.

Thanks for the post. I sometimes get too caught up in the "numbers" of weight loss and don't think about the root of the problem.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have some thoughts on why there seems to be more depression these days than in the past.

I think diet is part of it. The knowledge of so much being out there that we can't have. And the simple fact that we talk about it more now than in the past.

There are more things I've considered but that's the basics that hit me at the moment.

Personally, I've had mental health issues since I was a child. Depression, anxiety, wild mood swings.

I started seeing a psych and began being medicated more than 20 years ago, and have been on and off them out of sheer frustration. I've had two break downs. One minor, one major. And have walked the razor's edge of suicide most of my life.

Talk therapy never seemed to have a point for me. In hind sight I can see why. My primary problem was the mood swings. Though I've not been given the label it seems that I actually have a form of bipolar disorder.

In the last two years we've finally found a medication combination that works longer than six months for me. I am calmer, happier, and actually in control of my life for the first time. Honestly, it's been scary as heck.

It's also been the first time since my 'alcohol diet' in my twenties that I've been able to successfully focus on weight loss and exercise and succeed for any period of time.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm torn, It's nice to know there are people out there that understand but at the same time, how horrible that so many of us have to deal with these issues. I decided at some point in the last year or so that the best thing I ever did was start addressing my issues and I promised myself I would be as vocal as I could about those issues. If one person reads something I wrote and changes their life for the better because of it then I have done something good with my life.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm torn, It's nice to know there are people out there that understand but at the same time, how horrible that so many of us have to deal with these issues. I decided at some point in the last year or so that the best thing I ever did was start addressing my issues and I promised myself I would be as vocal as I could about those issues. If one person reads something I wrote and changes their life for the better because of it then I have done something good with my life.

I agree with that!!!
  • skheather
    skheather Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have many years of experiencing depression. I finally went for real help a few years ago. It was hard to get councilling since I live a long way from the city. But with a combination of medicine and talking, things are so much better now. I still struggle with emotional eating and sometimes a return of the blues, but now I know what to do. Mostly get busy and also talk to a good likstener , like my daughter. So many people do not get the help they need. I try to speak up and encourage others to keep looking until they get relief. If you had a broken leg, you would find someone to fix it and you would tell everyone about it. But with mental problems, there is still a taboo. So many people do not understand that we cannnot just "pull up our socks". We wouldn't say that to someone with a physical allment.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I understand about being depressed and using food for comfort, that is basically how I taught myself how to deal with things. I agree that it seems like there are more people who are depressed now then before. Maybe they just didn't talk about it then or had better ways to cope with it. I have gone through a lot in my almost 30 years, but right now I'm trying to deal with the fact that my 4 year old has a horrible type of muscular dystrophy and there is nothing I can do to fix it. But instead of grabbing for the nearest bag of chips I'm thinking I better take care of myself so I can take care of him as much as I possibly can. Thinking about my child motivates me. I try to think positive and for the most part it's getting me through, I will be going to talk to a therapist soon but depression will never go away for me regardless of what I do. I know I'm not alone and everyone has their issues and I hope they get through it and find whatever makes them happy!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I understand about being depressed and using food for comfort, that is basically how I taught myself how to deal with things. I agree that it seems like there are more people who are depressed now then before. Maybe they just didn't talk about it then or had better ways to cope with it. I have gone through a lot in my almost 30 years, but right now I'm trying to deal with the fact that my 4 year old has a horrible type of muscular dystrophy and there is nothing I can do to fix it. But instead of grabbing for the nearest bag of chips I'm thinking I better take care of myself so I can take care of him as much as I possibly can. Thinking about my child motivates me. I try to think positive and for the most part it's getting me through, I will be going to talk to a therapist soon but depression will never go away for me regardless of what I do. I know I'm not alone and everyone has their issues and I hope they get through it and find whatever makes them happy!

on big, huge cyber hug for you and your child
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Wow, such a deep and heartfelt post. Thank you for sharing this. :flowerforyou:
    I, too, have battled depression for a large part of my life. It wasn't until I learned to love myself and decide that I was worth caring for, that I saw real, lasting change.
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    There are so many reasons for depressions and yes for me as well, they are linked directly to the weight loss/gain. I am now so much interested in the relation that I will study psychology starting this fall and I am planning to also do the certifications for nutritionist/dietician and combine the knowledgeof both fields to help people being stabil in mind and body.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing this. I have depression as well. My weight gain was absolutely tied to that and anxiety, amongst other things. As the pounds go away it seems that more is revealed. Causes and conditions. Like peeling away the layers of an onion. Totally strange, uncomfortable and wonderful all at the same time. :heart:
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Since I was about ten years old I knew something was wrong with me. It got worse over time. I had my daughter (who is almost three now) and things got EXTREMELY bad. When she was almost a year old I was beginning to seriously contemplate killing myself and was afraid I was going to hurt my daughter because I would get so frustrated at her for things all babies do... you know... like cry when they wake up because they're hungry... I knew it was WRONG I was afraid of myself and afraid to be near my daughter. I made an appointment for therapy the day I realized I was afraid and it saved my life, I'm sure of it. I was medicated which helped a small amount, but the therapy is something I truly 100% contribute to me still being alive.

I was ALWAYS chubby as a child, I ate because the delicious taste was something that made me happy. I gained 60 pounds being pregnant and didn't lose any of it because I kept going to food for comfort. I have since learned how to deal with issues. I've been able to regulate my emotions MUCH better by improving my communication skills. I have also learned that when I'm frustrated, feeling down, wanting to hurt myself (on the rare occasion it still happens but not to the point of suicide), or just mentally icky it is MUCH more satisfying and beneficial to exercise. Because I don't turn to food for comfort and because I am actually active now I have lost almost 40 pounds in the last five months.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

Good for you! I'm very vocal now. http://blackdogtribe.com/ is a great website bringing awareness. I had a blog I wrote last year in the depths of my depression. People aren't always going to like what's said, but I will no longer apologise for my actions of that time, or indeed should it come back as horrendously as it did last year.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I am 19, and a depression/anxiety sufferer. I first developed it when I was 16, I think. It's pretty much broken me, and it's unbearable to live with. It affects every facet of my life. I don't reach out for help very often and often struggle silently. I was recently struggling to cope again and called my doctor. She prescribed me 20mg Prozac. It helps with the depression but makes me more anxious. And it makes my DP/DR worse. Sigh.

I understand.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. While I personally haven't ever suffered from depression per say, I have two daughters who both suffer from Bi Polar Disorder, though one only has the type 2. My oldest daughter came into this world giving me a hard time and she is now almost 21. life has been hard for her at tiimes. Trying to find the right meds, getting her to take her meds. Battling with sleeplessness. It is almost as hard for the families of people who suffer from these disorders as it is for the person who actually has them. All I can say is therapy helps when the person is willing to let it help and meds help too.