What do you look for in a gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1. Location-is it convenient? My gym is a ten minute drive away, but more importantly there is ample parking and it is located in a shopping center along with my grocery store and pharmacy. Since I find myself there several times a week, it is so easy to go for a workout before my errands.

2. Ample cardio machines

3. Variety of classes-Classes keep me entertained and motivated, but this is a personal factor, whereas the above two are necessities for all.

4, Long hours

5. Mixed company- patrons at my gym range from young to old, trying to lose weight to athlete. A mixed crowd is important for me to feel comfortable. No muscle man gyms for me!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    And plenty of squat racks, so that I have a convenient place to do bicep curls

:grumble: :noway: One of those guys eh??
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My gym is huge, has tons of equipment and i go during the day....never an issue, love everything but. Next time my #1 concern will be the cleanliness of the restrooms. The whole place is clean, but the management is all men and the cleanliness of the women's restrooms seems to depend on that days staff, and usually they don't care. No one checks up.

btw....Seriously ladies, why cannot you pee in the toilet> ? :noway:

I'm really just sayin this for any gym owners out there......the last time i saw a prospect coming through i pointed out to them to make sure and check the restrooms out. They got cleaner quickly but are downhill again. :(
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    What's the most important thing you look for in a gym?

Cleanliness? Cost? Equipment? Pool? Location? Just curious.

All of these are important to me, and I will add 'sauna and steam room' to the list, as that is also very important to me. But I've yet to find a gym that ticks all the boxes, so it tends to be a trade-off. At the moment I'm a member of a gym that ticks all the boxes except for cost (it's more expensive than I'd like - but then a gym that ticks all the other boxes is likely to be expensive!).

Lately I'm thinking that maybe I will switch to a cheaper gym in the same location. I can choose between one that has a pool but not a sauna and steam room, or one that has a sauna and steam room but doesn't have a pool. I have decided the sauna and steam room are more important to me than a pool. In both these cheaper gyms, the cleanliness and equipment are likely to be not as good as in the expensive gym - everything is relative - so I will go and have a look and see if the cleanliness and equipment are sufficient for me, and make my decision from there. I have also considered gyms in locations that are further away, and may check those out, but as I don't drive, I really prefer a gym that's in walking distance. The one I'm a member of is not only in walking distance, but also on my way to work, so it's very easy to develop a routine of going to the gym after work. I think I'd be less likely to go regularly to a gym in the opposite direction. But if there is a gym that ticks all the other boxes, I would check it out.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    What's the most important thing you look for in a gym?

Cleanliness? Cost? Equipment? Pool? Location? Just curious.

I'm looking into getting back into the gym, and I'm having a hard time finding one that really "clicks" for me!

Weights.

If they have that...I'm good.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Location is the first thing for me. If it's too far out the way you'll find yourself talking your way out of it. After that I make sure that they have the equipment I like. And plenty of squat racks, so that I have a convenient place to do bicep curls

I see what you did there!!!! lol :laugh:
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Location, cost, and helpfulness of the staff.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Location is a big first. The only thing that can sway my mind about it is the cost... which I suppose is a close second runner up. After that comes the cleanliness/equipment... I mean I once joined a free City owned gym (Still a member of but never go) that has the most ancient cardio equipment. Example (I always use this in an argument about why I refuse to go to said gym) they have treadmills that constantly short circuit. Other ones are so behind the times that they absolutely forbid running on the damn things.

Really? No running on treadmills? Okay. Also, there is a note hanging above both ---oh there are only 2 treadmills in the facility---that reads, 'Do not use these machines if your weight exceeds 180 lbs.'

With that said, I want a gym that is going to offer me something... Hell I'm not picky! Just make sure the machines work and that the place is clean.
  • cmb0267
    cmb0267 Posts: 7
    Options
    I live in a fairly rural area. The local fitness center is attached to a physical therapy clinic, thus frequently the equipment is taken up with patients doing rehab. There are only a handful of cardio machines, limited free weights and plate, but a full complement of weight machines. After spending as much time waiting my turn as actually exercising, I decided it was worth the 30 mile drive to a National Chain Gym Franchise. There are a few out there in the Big Town to choose from, but I opted for the one I did because it has a lot of equipment (of all kinds), good amenities, is very clean and there's a nice variety in clientele, for the most part. My ideal gym would not permit anyone under the age of 21, or at least under 18. The mid-afternoon tenor changes when the phalanx of Cardio Barbies invade after school lets out. Other than that, I get what I need, make best use of my time and think it is worth the drive - especially since the monthly membership fee is so low.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Location is key. Location is important because our time is important. Related to that are parking and availability of equipment. Finding an empty parking space at a gym can be harder than losing weight. And if you have to wait a long time to use that elliptical, you might as well work out at a gym that is farther away from your home.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    honestly.... an in house child care servise... :smile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    location, classes - especially zumba, cost
  • lOvEly805
    Options
    Basketball court, good cardio machines, great trainers.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Lots of iron, equipment that can take a beating, and people who are willing to spot a 500 lb squat.

That's pretty much it.