IN NEED OF BUDGET FRIENDLY MEAL IDEAS!!

Options
2»

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    My wife made this recipe last week and it was GOOD! She made it for dinner one night and I ended up bringing it to work for lunch for the next week. Everything is put in a crock pot and left to cook overnight and during the day while we were at work. Get home, serve up and done.

ChickenSoup.jpg
  • emailjayne
    emailjayne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Go to my favorite recipe website: allrecipes.com
    Then click on 'menus" then click on "budget" .
    They have lots of choices! And, as others have said, if you can go meatless, that will help a lot! Brown rice, beans, and canned, diced tomatoes can go a long way (if you can get creative).

Good luck! You can do it! I think $30 for two per week is totally do-able!!
    :smile:
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    you can do anything.

i just got 100 lbs of organically local grown tomatoes, romas and canning tomatoes, for $63 dollars at a country type grocery store here. they have been eaten, shared, scrambled with eggs, made into soup, roasted with grass fed beef, and still have about 90 lbs left to share or eat at a later date. they will go in my freezer in airtight freezer bags until i decide to use them.

a freezer would be a great investment, big or small, some places have interest free for a year or more, couponcabin.com is great. my newest one is 16.9 cubit feet, from sears, and i got it 35% off PLUS a $50 coupon...so worth it, it will help pay for itself and save more money in 15-20 yrs.

fresh herbs dried herbs too can be grown by yourself, or by others inexpensively and dried, frozen or used fresh. i have a window garden to plant and might transfer into an unused aquarium with a grow light (so the cat wont eat them). bulk spices will also help with sodium levels and MSG.

eggs are cheap, even organic ones - find out the source of the local providers and find the best way for you to purchase them..even target and walmart has some grass fed organic proteins. invest in the larger part of the food chain if you can. :) natural fats are great and usually 0 sodium and 0 carbs. veggies work better if eaten with natural fats.

even chia seeds would be wondeful, five grams of fiber, carbs, protein and fat and loaded with omega 3. they are tasteless, and can be used with anything either as a crunchy or absorbed with liquid (milk +chocolate+honey = pudding, or add with water and use as egg substitute) I can get a lb in bulk at country store for $8 and a serving size is one 1 tsp.
  • jelben
    jelben Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the States (Switzerland, where meat is very expensive), but how expensive are dry beans, chickpeas and lentils where you are? Here it is by far the cheapest option for protein, they're really tasty, and they keep forever.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    As a fellow pcos sufferer, try some dishes on the lower carb end, have breakfast for dinner! You can do omelettes, fritattas, and add a bunch of veggies! Will definitely help save some cash having a couple meals during the week vegetarian style. Beans and lentils are crazy good for you, and dont elevate your bloodsugar, you could make a veggie chili in the crockpot or soups, i do that alot. It costs me less than 10 bucks to make an awesome soup, alil more if i put meat in but one pot will last all week, or u could freeze some and save for later meals if u dont like repetition. But u also get a meal full of nutrients because these dishes are kinda like chinese food, you can put any kind in and they all just taste like chili or soup! If you need and help or ideas, send me a message. I dont know how severe your pcos is, but ive found something that works for me if your up for some new ideas!

Also, i wrote this on your wall but incase u dont see it, check out skinnytaste.com, the best recipe site i have ever used! Every dish of hers i've made is fantastic and almost all have pictures to go along with the directions, good for newbies getting comfy in the kitchen.

Talk to u soon!