Help with scars on face

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Does anyone know if a really good treatment for scars? My husband was bit in the face by a mastiff last month and has 2 scars under his eye, one on his bottom lip, and one on his chin. They are dark pink in color and raised... he's worried they won't go away. Is there anything that can help?
Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a scar on my forehead where I had a skin cancer spot removed earlier this year. I haven't put anything on it, as it's my "proud scar" if you will, But lots of people have told me if i want to get rid of it, use vitamin E oil. It's worth a try!:flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I have a scar on my forehead where I had a skin cancer spot removed earlier this year. I haven't put anything on it, as it's my "proud scar" if you will, But lots of people have told me if i want to get rid of it, use vitamin E oil. It's worth a try!:flowerforyou:

Vitamin E oil. noted. Thank you!

ps I go Friday to have a spot on my leg checked out for skin cancer :frown: My mom just found out she has skin cancer, and mine resembles her spot :frown: What was yours like, how did you know you needed to go?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options

I've heard of vitmamin E oil
    I had thyroid surgery a few years back and had a nasty scare on my neck (not raised, but discolored)
    I heard through a friend to try Magic Egyptian cream from Whole Foods...it worked WONDERS
    Good luck
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Vitamin E oil!! I was in a car accident that left me with a scar on my forehead. The insurance company sent me to a plastic surgeon before they settled with me. He said that the best thing to do was rub vitamin E oil into the scar a few times a day. If you can't find the oil, just get vitamin E gel caps and squeeze the oil out of them. I still have a scar, but it isn't very noticeable. It is just a white line and it is not raised. The scar is about 14 years old now.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Having had a facial injury that required major surgery I can tell you the face is some of the fastest healing skin on the body. I would give it at least 4 months before trying anything. If it's still bad enough after that...well I'm not sure what to do, but give it some time.

In the mean time just tell everyone he got in a fight defending your honor.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Having had a facial injury that required major surgery I can tell you the face is some of the fastest healing skin on the body. I would give it at least 4 months before trying anything. If it's still bad enough after that...well I'm not sure what to do, but give it some time.

In the mean time just tell everyone he got in a fight defending your honor.

That's encouraging, I am willing to try something in the meantime though. What worries me is how raised the scars are.
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    I used Mederma for my pregnancy stretch marks. It is also used for scars. It didn't make them go away but it did lighten them and make them less noticeable. You have to use it everyday 3-4 times a day for a while tho.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I used Mederma for my pregnancy stretch marks. It is also used for scars. It didn't make them go away but it did lighten them and make them less noticeable. You have to use it everyday 3-4 times a day for a while tho.

Yeah, I thought about Mederma.

What do you guys think about the fact that the scars are raised?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options

Yeah, I thought about Mederma.

What do you guys think about the fact that the scars are raised?

Vit E oil didn't work for me...
    BUT now that I think about it right after surgery the scar was a little red/pink and raised then it flattened out and became a nasty dark brown
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Does the magic Egyptian cream have vitamin E in it?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Plastic surgeon told me to use the Mederma on my scars because they started to keloid(sp?) - I figure if he said to use it he's seen it work but my scars are concealed so I didn't bother. Over time, mine have faded tremendously.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have a scar that was dark pink and raised for two years solid before it finally turned back to normal color
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    yea they lighten on their own after time too.
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have some wicked scars on my hand and arm from wrist surgery, and one thing I was told to do is to massage the scars as soon as it feels okay to do so. You have to wait until the stitches have been removed and the skin heals, but then you put vitamin E oil (or lotion) on them and knead, knead, knead! It helps to break up the adhesions below the surface, so the tissue doesn't "clump together" while healing.

I used to do it while sitting in church, during meetings at the office, while watching TV, etc. Makes the skin red for a while, but it does help.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Talk to your pharmacist too. There is apparently some new technologies involving silicone that help to prevent keloid formation and reduce scarring.

I found one example here....http://www.kelocote.com/
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Not to sound too pessimistic but a co-worker of mine also had a dog bite her in the face about 6 months ago. She ended up having to have surgery to get rid of the raised part of the scar. She used vitamin E after the surgery and it looks as if she never had a scar.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Not to sound too pessimistic but a co-worker of mine also had a dog bite her in the face about 6 months ago. She ended up having to have surgery to get rid of the raised part of the scar. She used vitamin E after the surgery and it looks as if she never had a scar.

No, I appreciate your input. His parents think he needs to see a plastic surgeon. How long did she wait before having surgery to remove the raised part?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

No, I appreciate your input. His parents think he needs to see a plastic surgeon. How long did she wait before having surgery to remove the raised part?

She waited 4 months...just to see if it would fade or flatten out. She just fully recovered about 3 weeks ago...and it looks wonderful.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I went to the dermotologist today and had a spot on my leg looked at, and asked her about my hubby's scars. She said silicone. You can buy it in the store near the Mederma and stuff. I told her he has been using the Vit E and she said that's good too.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Keep me posted about which cream works best.