Female doing P90X should I be using protein powder?

Options
Hi,
New to the whole protein powders, and I was wondering if it is recommended for females to use a protein powder while doing P90X. Some days I just find my muscles are really quite sore and I have been steadily working out since Nov 2011. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MargaretPetersBergen
    Options
    Anyone?
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    copying this from a post I answered yesterday.... Most of it applies to you.

If you are trying to loose weight and tone I would just stick to getting your protein from chicken, egg whites, fish, and so on. Now if your goal was a low carb diet, which I am not a fan of, or to bulk up then you might need help achieving that with a protein shake. However in my opinion, if I only have so many calories to work with in a day, I would rather eat an egg white burrito with hot sauce and ham instead of a shake. It fills me up better and although I do not eat healthy I know its better to get that stuff from food then from a shake. Either choice you make it wont hinder your weight loss as long as your macros are correct and you are in a deficit. I know Wal-Mart has a cheap shake by bodyfortus for 15.00 a tub and today’s paper had a 3.00 off coupon. It doesn't taste bad and I have a tub if I am WAY low on protein and out of chicken, mainly its for my husband but I have used it 2x over the last 2 months. He wants to bulk a little. Who knows maybe you will find out you like shakes. Just do whatever you want that will keep you driving for success and if a shake rocks our boat then go for it. For me my daily chocolate or twix bar is my reward!
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would definitely use protein powder, especially if you are trying to build muscle, but I would think you would only need to use it once a day, and continue to try to get the majority of your protein from natural, lean sources (lean meats, veggies, nuts). My favorite is Nature's Plus Spirutein in vanilla.

Hope this helped :)
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    yeah definitely
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    In all honesty...Protein Powders are good in adding your macros for when you are having issues meeting your protein needs. While studies show that intake of isolate proteins within 30 minutes of finishing your workouts have an increased benefit, the overall benefit is still minimal.

In short...supplement only if you struggle to hit the macros.
  • MargaretPetersBergen
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice:-)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    New to the whole protein powders, and I was wondering if it is recommended for females to use a protein powder while doing P90X. Some days I just find my muscles are really quite sore and I have been steadily working out since Nov 2011. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Figure out your calorie and macronutrient intake needs based on your goals and your training. Chances are this will put your protein needs moderately high, as MFP sets them quite low. 1g/lb lean mass should be plenty.

If you can hit this value with whole foods, you don't need whey protein.
    You can still use whey protein to help you hit this target if you choose to.

But beyond that, it's just protein similar to what you'd get from eating a food source of protein.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    i saw someone post about the "30 minute window", there is no 30 minute window to take your protein shake after your workout, that's a myth. if you hit your protein intake on a daily basis then you don't need it, if you don't then you should invest in a shake, simple as that.
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    hell yea, gotta get protein in somehow, 1g per pound of bw at least and whey is cheaper per serving and tastes way better than any other source
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    i saw someone post about the "30 minute window", there is no 30 minute window to take your protein shake after your workout, that's a myth. if you hit your protein intake on a daily basis then you don't need it, if you don't then you should invest in a shake, simple as that.

^^Yep!

And what Sidesteal said.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    get some glutamine...it will help a ton with the sore muscles
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    not trying to be rude but glutamine supplementation is pretty much useless and a waste of your money.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    not trying to be rude but glutamine supplementation is pretty much useless and a waste of your money.

^ Agreed.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No. I am against powders. Just eat right. Food has protein.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    No. I am against powders. Just eat right. Food has protein.

o rly
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've done P90X & am currently doing P90X2. From what you stated, the issue isn't that you are necessarily lacking in protein consumption. You said your muscle are really sore some days. With any strength training program, it is highly important to recover after a workout. The 30 minute window previously mentioned isn't in regard to protein intake but rather that is your window for recovery after a workout. Recovery requires a combination of protein & carbs. There is a P90X Results & Recovery Formula that meets this combination. I use it after every high intensity workout. You can also try a low fat chocolate milk: 8 oz. skim milk mixed with a serving of chocolate syrup. It is simple, cheat, and proven to work. Try one of these & see if the soreness doesn't reduce some.

Also, muscle soreness isn't a bad thing. It means you are working them to their max. Excellent job in doing so! In addition to proper post-workout nutrition, you can always use a muscle rub like Tiger Balm, or soke in a warm bath with Epsom salt.

Do your best & forget the rest & keep bringing it! X
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    no there is no 30 minute window of recovery. if you feel like taking your shake or eating after then do it. its not necessary to do it in a window of time.
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    no there is no 30 minute window of recovery. if you feel like taking your shake or eating after then do it. its not necessary to do it in a window of time.

While the specific amount of time may not exist, it is important to refuel post-workout. Period. Muscle is broken down during exercise & needs fuel to begin to repairt itself. Here is a source regarding that fact:

"During exercise muscles use metabolic fuels at an accelerated rate. In order for physical work to be continuous, the body mobilizes stored fuels to make fatty acids, glucose, and amino acids available for oxidation. This is a catabolic process and cannot occur simultaneous to anabolic processes such as glycogen formation and protein synthesis.

In order for the body to recover from exercise, the catabolic environment must be quickly changed to an anabolic environment. The food that you eat after training affects the hormonal milieu in your body in order for this to take place. With the rapid introduction of carbohydrate, protein, and fat into the system post exercise, the body is able to begin reparations on damaged tissue and replenish fuel reserves."
    http://trueorfalsefitness.tumblr.com/post/8872876900/a-scientific-approach-to-pre-post-exercise-nutrition

Equally as important is proper pre-workout nutrition. This is where the protein question comes into play. However, it is the type of protein that matters most. The site above talks about this, also. Here is another:

"Pre-workout protein, specifically the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), will help fuel your muscles during training. BCAAs don't need to be processed by your liver; after being absorbed, they head directly to your blood stream to be picked up by your muscles.

This is key because exercise causes the breakdown and oxidation of BCAAs. Providing BCAAs to working muscles will prevent the need for your body to catabolize the working muscle itself."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-pre-post-workout-shakes.html

Pre- AND post-workout nutrition is absolutely necessary and vital!
  • jjefferies7
    Options

While the specific amount of time may not exist, it is important to refuel post-workout. Period. Muscle is broken down during exercise & needs fuel to begin to repairt itself. Here is a source regarding that fact:

"During exercise muscles use metabolic fuels at an accelerated rate. In order for physical work to be continuous, the body mobilizes stored fuels to make fatty acids, glucose, and amino acids available for oxidation. This is a catabolic process and cannot occur simultaneous to anabolic processes such as glycogen formation and protein synthesis.

In order for the body to recover from exercise, the catabolic environment must be quickly changed to an anabolic environment. The food that you eat after training affects the hormonal milieu in your body in order for this to take place. With the rapid introduction of carbohydrate, protein, and fat into the system post exercise, the body is able to begin reparations on damaged tissue and replenish fuel reserves."
    http://trueorfalsefitness.tumblr.com/post/8872876900/a-scientific-approach-to-pre-post-exercise-nutrition

Equally as important is proper pre-workout nutrition. This is where the protein question comes into play. However, it is the type of protein that matters most. The site above talks about this, also. Here is another:

"Pre-workout protein, specifically the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), will help fuel your muscles during training. BCAAs don't need to be processed by your liver; after being absorbed, they head directly to your blood stream to be picked up by your muscles.

This is key because exercise causes the breakdown and oxidation of BCAAs. Providing BCAAs to working muscles will prevent the need for your body to catabolize the working muscle itself."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-pre-post-workout-shakes.html

Pre- AND post-workout nutrition is absolutely necessary and vital!

no

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

your "anabolic window" is more like 24 hours, which would mean it hardly matters how long it takes for you to "replenish" after a workout, unless you plan on eating nothing for a full day afterwards, which in most cases i would highly doubt. nutrient timing is largely irrelevant in terms of body composition, it's already been proven.

oh, and by the way the "evidence" you provided me were just articles without a single reference to any studies whatsoever.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to loose weight and tone I would just stick to getting your protein from chicken, egg whites, fish, and so on. Now if your goal was a low carb diet, which I am not a fan of, or to bulk up then you might need help achieving that with a protein shake. However in my opinion, if I only have so many calories to work with in a day, I would rather eat an egg white burrito with hot sauce and ham instead of a shake. It fills me up better and although I do not eat healthy I know its better to get that stuff from food then from a shake.

I like this answer... I do P90X and I make a protein/spinach/berry smoothie with 1/2 scoop of protein powder if I don't feel hungry but I know I need some protein. However, I agree that getting protein from actual real food is better. Real food rules :)