Fruit - do you eat it??

Options

Replies

• hay2311
    hay2311 Posts: 1
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE fruit! Grapes, apples, strawberries, blackberries, watermelon, clementines and bananas are the fruits I eat. I also do not like how fruit has so much calories. The grapes I ate today were good but when I logged them I couldn't believe how much sugar is in them! :(
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Generally, I have various berries, if I am going to have fruit. I don't eat it everyday, it's more of an occasional thing, or if I'm looking to do a specific recipe with it.

I'm also diabetic, so lots of non-berry types of fruit can cause my sugar to spike.

I will eat other fruits though, cherries, banana, apple, kiwi, whatever looks fresh and yummy!

I agree though, for the cal/sugar content versus some protein or veggies, I'll always choose the protein.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Usually, the more fruit I eat, the less junk I crave. I just can't keep too much pineapple around. No self-control.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Who here loves fruit?
    I never have been a fan of most fruits and that has got worse since joing MFP.
    Fruit is so "expensive" cals wise... don't you think??
    I am struggling to get a peice or two eaten most days... a real mission!

no matter how many calories it has i'm rather eating fruit than popping vitamin pills.
    I was the skinniest when i ate it and now i am getting it back into my diet. I feel more energized, my skin, hair, nails everything looks better and I've never gained weight from it.
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore fruit! I eat way too much of it to be honest and I'm sure that's one reason I've had a hard time losing weight. Too much sugar in my diet.
  • emmaleeluckmann
    emmaleeluckmann Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love fruit!!! it is the perfect breakfast or snack!!
  • Phi3001
    Phi3001 Posts: 1
    Options
    Love it
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just ate an entire container of fresh, organic raspberries. Total calories: 84.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Fruits are sugars that I dont need in my diet... I dont eat them AT ALL unless I have a sugar craving!
  • kimixxdance
    kimixxdance Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    fruits are not expensive in calories. one cup of strawberries has less than 50 calories: that's just 1/10 of an equal volume of ben and jerry's
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit everyday! LOVE it! Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, watermelon, pineapple, grapes - nom nom nom.....I'm not really a fan of cantaloupe and honeydew, and I can't stand the texture of bananas.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have fruit EVERY DAY it's one of my snacks, I have it with my cereal or oatmeal in the mornings and sometimes I cook fruit into my meals. I don't get hungry again after eating fruit because I have it with cheese or some other protein. An apple and a cheese stick is still less calories than a snickers bar and much better for you.

I try to buy different fruits every week especially if something is on sale but I almost always have a banana or two every week except during the fall where it's mostly apples because we go apple picking
  • MissShancey
    Options
    fruit ---> omnomnom
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit I try to eat it everyday and when I do I eat it in a smoothie. I love a strawberry banana smoothie They are so delicious!!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    we go throu alot of fruit in my house, my kids ar'nt the only culprits
  • Brookie4lyfe
    Brookie4lyfe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, but i find it MUCH EASIER to get my servings in a homemade smoothie :) no sugar added and 2% milk. You can blend almost any fruits, it's great to try different combinations.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'll join the people here who don't see how it's too many calories. I usually eat fruit midday, between my meals (I only eat twice a day). Today I had a peach for 38 calories. Yesterday I had a plum for 40 calories. These are not big numbers, but it's nutritious, satiating, and tastes good (not to mention being pretty darn cheap money-wise).

If you don't like it, then you don't have to eat it. But don't forgo it because it's too calorically-expensive; I can't think of many things that beat it in that regard.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    yes I do. I don't eat a lot of it, but, usually at least 1 serving a day. My go to's are grapes, watermelon, strawberries, peaches, apples.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Fruits are "expensive" in calories?

1 peach--38 calories'
    1 cup of strawberries--49 calories
    1 apple--72 calories
    1 cup of grapes--62 calories
    1 orange--81 calories
    1 cup of pineapple--74 calories
    1 cup of cherries--74 calories

Not sure what the problem is?

For me, fruit is more expensive for a few reasons. The calories in them don't really leave me feeling "satisfied" (hunger-wise) for very long at all. I can eat the same amount of calories in protein and be satisfied 3 times as long.

Also, the calorie to sugar rating (I am diabetic) plus the fact that, for me, eating sugar tends to make me crave...more sugar, which can really mess up my diet if I decide to bing on sweets as a result.

Like I said, I would rather eat protein (preferred) or veggies as an alternate because they keep me fuller and I don't wind up with nearly as many cravings. Most of the cravings I wind up getting...are for more protein and veggies!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome and it needs to be eaten in large quantities every day!!! For every bite of fruit you take, that is a bite that you are getting nutrients, fiber, water, carbohydrates, anti-oxidants, minerals, fat, protein, etc. It is one bite of something else that you now don't need to take.

Exactly right. A Gala apple, for example, is about 80 calories of great nutrition. I eat several types of fruit several times a day now, but I lmost always eat it in combination with a lean protein - a small piece of skinless chicken breast, a nonfat plain greek yogurt, etc - to lower the glycemic load so that I don't get a quick blood sugar increase that easily converts to fat and the resulting crash that causes hunger. Now, vegetables I'm finding it's harder to fit in mostly because they generally require some kind of prep and I'm often too lazy.