Flying Phobia Help

Options
Dancerten
Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
Hi,

I'll be flying out to Portland in September to visit some old classmates and do the whole Octoberfest thing in Mt. Angel, OR. I'm really looking forward to it, BUT in the past few years I have developed a major phobia of flying :ohwell:

I've done quite a bit of flying in my lifetime (several trips to Europe, Canada, and the Caribbean), so I'm used to it. I never really enjoyed it (fear of heights and my ears don't pop), but I could tolerate it. My last trip was in 2003 to Europe, and it was a completely normal flight, not even any bad turbulence. But then I didn't fly again for 9 years (just didn't have any desire/money to go anywhere that required a flight). Then, I was supposed to fly to Las Vegas this past summer to visit family and I was really looking forward to it as I had never been there before. I got the the airport fine, had my usual pre-flight butterflies, but was ok for the most part. THEN, I got on the plane. I was sitting in my seat while everyone was loading on and storing their baggage and my heart was beating faster and faster, I started sweating, shaking, I couldn't breathe normally, and I just had this overwhelming feeling of absolute terror. Needless to say, I had to get off the plane before it left the gate, and I missed out on what could have been a really cool trip. And as if having a panic attack for the 1st time in my life wasn't bad enough, let me tell you - IT IS ABSOLUTELY HUMILIATING to have to deboard a plane in a blubbering mess with 80+ passengers looking at you like you're an idiot. ABSOLUTELY. HUMILIATING. :embarassed:

So, I'd really love to know if anyone out there has overcome a situation like mine; and if so, how they did it.

So far, I have purchased and read (and I'm rereading it now) a book called 'The Fearless Flier's Handbook', which I've found very helpful in explaining the noises you hear in flight, weather and how it causes turbulence, flight crew training, etc. I have downloaded a whole bunch of relaxation albums for my ipod. And, I've been working on some deep breathing and relaxation exercises.

I am very seriously considering trying hypnotherapy. Anyone had any success with that? (maybe for non-phobia issues too?)

Please help, I don't want to continue living in total fear of something that most people have absolutely no problem with , and many enjoy.

Replies

• jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try talking to your doctor. They used to give a sedative but now they give anti-anxiety drugs. My Mom has a terrible fear of flying and for her last trip, her doctor perscribed something that really helped her.

I had the exact same reaction when I was getting my first MRI. Heart started to race, my breathing was labored and claustrophobia started to take over. I kept my eyes shut and talked myself down after about 5 minutes. That would be hard to do on a plane, though.

Good luck and hope you make it to your destination.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I was going to say have a cocktail (or two!) before you get on the plane. But I think the above posted gave much better adivce :laugh:

Good luck! Sorry you're having such a tough time with flying, I hope you can overcome.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    i can really relate to you! I had not flown since before 9/11 and last year flew to Milwaukee from Seattle. i was having panic attacks just thinking about it!

So a month beforehand, I got a script for Xanax. I also found this website http://www.fearofflying.com/ though it recommends you to make small talk with your seatmate, many many many people don't like to fly because of chatty seatmates (I'm one of them, that and unruly children on planes).

The Xanax helped some, but I still had tears streaming down my face during take-off. i think I'm more nervous because of a bit of claustrophobia, and that I cannot get off the plane if I wanted to.

Do you like to knit or crochet? I think if you have something that would keep you occupied, it may help to take your mind off things. I got noise cancelling headphones, listened to my favorite music and read a book

Feel free to message me, a friend I was meeting in Milwaukee is also terrified of flying, we emailed each other and laughed about what fears we had, I think that helped me out the most, having some support. :smile:
  • Dancerten
    Options
    Try talking to your doctor. They used to give a sedative but now they give anti-anxiety drugs. My Mom has a terrible fear of flying and for her last trip, her doctor perscribed something that really helped her.

I had the exact same reaction when I was getting my first MRI. Heart started to race, my breathing was labored and claustrophobia started to take over. I kept my eyes shut and talked myself down after about 5 minutes. That would be hard to do on a plane, though.

Good luck and hope you make it to your destination.

Oh I forgot to mention that! I did talk to my doctor and she prescribed me Alprazolam (I guess it's a generic version of Xanax?). I tried one pill, just to see how I would react, and it did make me relaxed and sleepy. That was not in a high anxiety situation though. But I do plan on taking them as my Dr. instructed.

I did read somewhere that your body can't physically keep up a panic attack for more than 10 minutes, because after that your adrenaline runs out. Now, whether that's true or not I don't know; but I will try to do as you did and talk myself down while I ride it out (if I do have another panic attack).

Thanks!:smile:
  • Dancerten
    Options
    I was going to say have a cocktail (or two!) before you get on the plane. But I think the above posted gave much better adivce :laugh:

Good luck! Sorry you're having such a tough time with flying, I hope you can overcome.

Thanks for the support! I did think about a few cocktails, but from what I've been reading I, 1 - shouldn't drink while I'm taking anti-anxiety pills (forgot to mention that in original post, sorry!) and 2 - heard that alcohol can really dehydrate you at those altitudes. :tongue:

Thanks again!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Predrink or Xanax
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Not sure, I have never flown on a plane but my bf is planning a trip to Disney and it requires air travel. I'll probably be a nervous wreck too. >.<
  • Dancerten
    Options
    i can really relate to you! I had not flown since before 9/11 and last year flew to Milwaukee from Seattle. i was having panic attacks just thinking about it!

So a month beforehand, I got a script for Xanax. I also found this website http://www.fearofflying.com/ though it recommends you to make small talk with your seatmate, many many many people don't like to fly because of chatty seatmates (I'm one of them, that and unruly children on planes).

The Xanax helped some, but I still had tears streaming down my face during take-off. i think I'm more nervous because of a bit of claustrophobia, and that I cannot get off the plane if I wanted to.

Do you like to knit or crochet? I think if you have something that would keep you occupied, it may help to take your mind off things. I got noise cancelling headphones, listened to my favorite music and read a book

Feel free to message me, a friend I was meeting in Milwaukee is also terrified of flying, we emailed each other and laughed about what fears we had, I think that helped me out the most, having some support. :smile:

It's miserable isn't it?! I have heard the 'talk to your seatmate' suggestion too, but I'm like you and I'm just not that kind of person lol. I have read that it's good to talk to the flight crew before hand if possible and let them know you are a fearful flier, and I do plan on doing that.

I love both knitting and crocheting.. are the needles allowed on planes? I do plan on reading my Fearless Flier's Handbook in flight...

Thanks for the support, I may take you up on your message offer :flowerforyou:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Over the years I've developed a number of phobias. Flying is one of them.

For me, I understand what sounds and such are, intellectually I understand how something that big manages to fly. This knowledge does not help me in the slightest. My fear is irrational, which my psych happily reminds me is why it's a phobia.

Lorazepam is has become my friend. I take it about a half hour before the flight and while take off still makes me white knuckle (because they don't let me listen to my music which would help a great deal), I can manage the flight itself well enough, and usually when we fly it's multiple flights and/or long ones.

What I worry about is if I ever get stuck in the plane on the runway for a long period of time.

If you're on antianxiety meds, you might want to find out about getting something to help with flying.

Edited to add: I doubt one's body can sustain a major panic attack for long, but a lower key one can actually go on for hours. Trust me on this. Sorry for the downer.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes, knitting needles are allowed. I've had some random harmless things taken out of my bag only to sit next a lady that pulls out a freaking 10 inch pair of knitting needles as we take off. :laugh:
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Since part of it is due to your fear of heights, I highly suggest getting an aisle seat. You can't see the ground out the window, and it's pretty easy to forget you're on a plane after a while because of that. Additionally, I really like the aisle seat because I feel like I have more room, which helps my anxiety (I'm claustrophobic). It also gives you that feeling of being able to stand up and gtfo if you need to. The curve of the plane near the window means you lose some room near your head and shoulders. Sitting on the aisle is just a straight-up normal seat.

Think of turbulence like potholes in the road. They're just pockets of air that the plane is hitting, like your car hitting a bump.

I suggest talking to your doctor about anti-anxiety medication. I LOVE flying, but I hate being packed in with all those people, so I usually take Klonopin before a trip.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    I used to be so nervous flying that my knees would literally knock (and I work at an airport). Believe it or not, the thing that helped me was flying through one of the worst thunderstorms we've ever had. EVERYONE was white knuckling it. I realized at that moment, there was absolutely nothing I could do. I had made the decision to put my butt in that seat and there was NOTHING I could do. At that point, I actually relaxed, looked out the window and enjoyed the light show! I still say my prayers before every flight though - just not all the way through it anymore :smile: I really think it's a matter of hating the feeling of having no control - once you accept that fact, I bet things will get better. If not, there's always Ativan :laugh:
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yep. I developed a terrible fear of flying that included panic attacks. 2 years ago I was going to have to make several trips, all requiring me to not only fly, but to fly alone. I asked my doctor for some Xanax because it had helped with my other fear..dentists. I took two xanax before my first flight and only took one on the return flight. I took one on my second flight and flew cold turkey on the return trip. The third trip I flew drug free there and back. On the Xanax, I remember looking out the window and thinking, "Wow, I'm up here a very long way. Oh well." "Oh well" is the beauty of Xanax. You just don't care. I enjoyed the flight, looking out the window the whole way. When I realized that I had survived the first flights and it wasn't the xanax holding the plane in the air, I was able to fly without them and enjoy it. It's been long enough since I flew last that I would probably take one the next time I fly, just because, but they work wonders. A word of caution...do not have a Margarita after taking them. I got rerouted to Phoenix and while waiting for my flight, had lunch in a Mexican restaurant with one little margarita. I spent the following 30 minutes sitting on the floor, leaning against a wall near the boarding area, eating frozen yogurt and trying to look sober enough for them to let me on the plane. I got on and promptly passed out, slept soundly and woke in California. Thank God it was the right plane!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Something to think about is what that adrenaline overload is doing to you. When I get scared or nervous, the adrenaline charge causes my blood sugar to bottom out. This results in a secondary set of symptoms, including shaking, weakness, and altered mental state (confusion, crying, etc.).

This can be worse in individuals who are at a calorie deficit (as most of us here at MFP are.)

Keep a carby snack handy. If your panic starts to run away with you, nibble a bit. It can help take your mind off the stressor, as well as keeping your blood sugar stable. Just be careful of rebound. If you sugar-up, your body will send a surge of insulin to deal with the sugar, and bottom you out again. Try to get a carb/protein balanced meal as soon as possible.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Maybe take some nice relaxing aromatherapy oil on a tissue I find this always helps when I am anxious, some relaxing music on an ipod and just close your eyes and breath deep I don't know why this works but it does.

I have quite a few friends who are commercial pilots ( you can guess by my name that I'm a flyer) and the training that the pilots go through is unbelievable these guys really are the best of the best, and its not a one off thing they go through it constantly to make sure they are always 110% on the ball.
    Also the maintenance of commercial planes is second to none the legislation around this means flying in a plane is way safer than getting in a car.
    In the UK at least the cost of becoming a commercial pilot is horrendous and a very lengthy process and only those who are completely committed and highly educated ( I have seen the exam papers for a commercial license and my brain wouldn't cope with them !) make it into the cockpit. The guy up the front has probably given up just about everything to be there and studied himself silly to get where he is , you really couldn't be in safer hands.

I hope this helps, maybe consider finding a friendly pilot of a small plane to take you up for a flight on a nice day , he or she will explain how it all works , show you the controls maybe let you take control of the stick or yoke yourself when you know whats going on during a flight it becomes less scary.

Only don't end up like me sitting on a 767 thinking .. hmm about time you put the flaps down .. hmm time for the undercarriage ..ooh didn't think much of your landing :laugh:
  • Dancerten
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for everyone's great advice, it's really reassuring for me to hear that other people have gotten through it:smile: .

@Familiar:
    My fear is irrational, which my psych happily reminds me is why it's a phobia.
    Tell me about it... I think this is really going to have to be a mind over matter situation.

@saltatoria:
    Since part of it is due to your fear of heights, I highly suggest getting an aisle seat. You can't see the ground out the window, and it's pretty easy to forget you're on a plane after a while because of that. Additionally, I really like the aisle seat because I feel like I have more room, which helps my anxiety (I'm claustrophobic). It also gives you that feeling of being able to stand up and gtfo if you need to.
    Great idea! I got an aisle seat for the flight out to Portland, but was stuck with a middle seat on the return flight... I'll just have to look the other way lol.

@BlisterLamb:
    I took two xanax before my first flight and only took one on the return flight. I took one on my second flight and flew cold turkey on the return trip. The third trip I flew drug free there and back. On the Xanax, I remember looking out the window and thinking, "Wow, I'm up here a very long way. Oh well." "Oh well" is the beauty of Xanax. You just don't care. I enjoyed the flight, looking out the window the whole way. When I realized that I had survived the first flights and it wasn't the xanax holding the plane in the air, I was able to fly without them and enjoy it.
    This is very reassuring :smile: I'm really hoping my experience goes as smoothly as yours!

@Jarrettd:
    Something to think about is what that adrenaline overload is doing to you. When I get scared or nervous, the adrenaline charge causes my blood sugar to bottom out. This results in a secondary set of symptoms, including shaking, weakness, and altered mental state (confusion, crying, etc.).

This can be worse in individuals who are at a calorie deficit (as most of us here at MFP are.)

Keep a carby snack handy. If your panic starts to run away with you, nibble a bit. It can help take your mind off the stressor, as well as keeping your blood sugar stable. Just be careful of rebound. If you sugar-up, your body will send a surge of insulin to deal with the sugar, and bottom you out again. Try to get a carb/protein balanced meal as soon as possible.
    This is a great point, and something I would have never thought of. I'll make sure to toss some granola bars or something in my purse, thanks!

@SkyPixie:
    I have quite a few friends who are commercial pilots ( you can guess by my name that I'm a flyer) and the training that the pilots go through is unbelievable these guys really are the best of the best, and its not a one off thing they go through it constantly to make sure they are always 110% on the ball.
    Also the maintenance of commercial planes is second to none the legislation around this means flying in a plane is way safer than getting in a car.
    Yes, I read this in my fear of flying handbook, and it is quite comforting. I'm just going to have to remind myself continuously throughout the flight... sometimes my brain seems to want to focus on the negative :ohwell:

Thank you all again so so much!!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible flier also. I freak out, and have had a few panic attacks. My dr gave me Zanax to take for flying. It works! I still have the butterflies, but I'm pretty mellow and can usually tolerate the flight pretty well. Except the last flight, I took it too early and had to have a couple of cocktails once the plane took off I was fine. Good luck, it's a horrible phobia and I would rather drive just about anywhere, even if it takes 6 days to get there, but that's not always possible. :smile:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I love both knitting and crocheting.. are the needles allowed on planes?

yes, they are. Scissors are not, and neither are those round thread cutters. So I get around that by bringing a container of dental floss and use the cutter on that to cut the yarn.

oh, and I also forgot to tell you, after taking my Xanax and then getting into the security line on the return flight, I apparently 'looked suspicious' and got taken off to the side for an 'extra pat down' in front of everybody. Now I see why people strip down to their undies. I'm thinking about doing that next time.
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    <3:heart:
  • Dancerten
    Options
    :bigsmile: SUCCESS!!!! :bigsmile:

I flew out to Portland last Saturday and just arrived back home yesterday after an awesome trip! I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and helpful suggestions, it really meant a lot :flowerforyou:

I actually ended up doing a few hypnotherapy sessions in the weeks before my flight, and while I don't think I can give them credit for getting me on the plane, they did REALLY help me with nerves/worrying before the trip. Normally, I would be a nervous wreck from the time I booked the flight (constantly imagining worst case scenarios, losing my appetite, and even getting nervous bowel issues :frown: ) but the hypnotherapy really kept me calm and completely unworried about the trip.

As for actually flying, all the credit goes to Xanax. I took half a pill when I left Richmond to drive up to Dulles (don't worry, I wasn't driving), and then a whole pill when I got to the airport. As I had gotten there about 2.5 hours before my flight was to depart I had a lot of time to sit around and watch the weather (quite stormy, but fortunately it passed before we flew out). I started to feel a panic attack coming on when they started boarding the 1st class passengers, so I took another whole pill and it settled me down. Once on the plane and waiting to depart, I took another one just to make sure I wouldn't get the urge to get off. And I made it! I found that it helped me during takeoff to shut my eyes and imagine that I was piloting the plane and increasing the acceleration on my own. That said, it was not a smooth flight (out of the 6 hours we were in the air, I'd say there was only about 2 hours that were turbulence free); BUT, while I did hold the armrests loosely, I didn't 'white-knuckle' them the entire flight like I usually do. And I even unbuckled my seat belt to stand and let the gentleman next to me get out to use the restroom :smile:

The flight back was even better!! I only took two pills, and the flight was much smoother; the little turbulence we did have didn't bother me at all. And while I didn't have the guts to walk around the plane, I DID look out the window!! :glasses: I have NEVER done that before, I was so proud of myself!!!! :happy:

So thank you all again so much!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I look forward to future trips and maybe even weaning myself off the xanax to fly 'au natural' :happy: