Weight change effecting height?

Options
Has anyone gotten shorter when their weight was significantly higher? I had always been 5'5, but then the last 3 years, I measured in at 5'4. I thought it may have been premature osteoporosis for having my twins, but today, when I reached my goal weight, I noticed I felt like I was standing taller. I measured myself, and sure enough, I was back to 5'5!

Since height changes with gravity, weight change could theoretically affect height. Has anyone had this happen?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You won't actually grow taller due to weight loss, but you'll likely find yourself able to stand up straight easier and more comfortable, so the height you actually always were will be noticeable. I know I stand up a lot straighter since my boobs shrunk from the weight loss. lol
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    What I learned was this: when you are larger, and your back muscles are weak, the weight pulls down on your spine, basically compressing the Intervertebral discs, making you 'shorter'. As you workout and become stronger, your back muscles become more efficient, and help to hold your spine up, so the discs aren't compressed as much. So you 'grow' taller.

I read an article about how when you get older, you 'shrink' but the actual physical change is that the muscles are weaker and become constricted, thereby making you 'shorter'. So if you don't want to 'shrink', stay in shape as you get older.

i actually measured myself the other day, and was surprised to find out I'm an inch taller than last year.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    All my life I was 5'4 and 3/4". (Yes, that 3/4" is important!). I got fat...and started measuring in at 5'4.5" at the doctor's office. Booooo. I lost weight and NOW I'm measuring 5'5" at the doc's office. SAY WUT?! I didn't grow taller but I do think I'm standing up straighter and more confident. And maybe the cartilage in between my bones isn't as smashed down since there isn't a ton of extra weight on my frame. That's all I can think of.