**RUNNERS** Looking for suggestions on running jackets.

Options
sevsmom
sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
Hey Gang!

My b-day is rolling around and my hubby wants to buy me a running jacket. Have been looking at the Nike Vapor, but am interested in what other runners like. Fit, style, utility. . .etc. I'm interested to hear some feedback.

Sorry it's not the sexiest post of the day, but I'm sure someone can take it there if they're really really bored! :wink:

Replies

• OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Its really going to depend on what type of weather you typically run in. Is it cold like 40's or cold like 60's or is it raining...

I have a few light weight jackets.I don't own any of the heavier cold jackets because its never that cold where I live. They all have pockets. My favs are ones that have breathable pockets that have zippers. Typically lighter colors are better for visibility. I don't like hoods because I typically wear a hat with a brim or ear muffs if it just cold out. They are all light weight enough to be tied around my waist without being too bulky.
  • sevsmom
    Options
    Winter can be cold around here. While last year was extremely MILD, we can have temps in the teens & 20s. I generally will wait til the afternoon to run then, but it can get pretty darned cold. I'm in to the lighter colors, as well. I'm not sure about the hood. . . . .
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well, I would be interested in something versatile, it has to be light, but able to withstand rain and some cooler temperatures, I don't mind a hood, but I need pockets. I carry my phone and fitbit and would rather neither get wet, so rain proof is the most important.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Mother got me a few jackets from the Activ line at Old Navy as actual running jackets can be quite expensive but would like a Running Room jacket since they have a pretty good selection of colors, have handy zippered pockets, good ventilation and are made to ensure visibility as well as is a windbreaker and is somewhat rain repellent.

It depends on weather where you're at in general as well as your body temperature..Mine runs a little high so I'll wear a long sleeve or even t-shirt and have a light jacket (if anything) with either good vents which can be zippered or openings in the fabric for ventilation, either one works. As far a s a hood goes...If you're planning to run in rain or snow, skip the hood and go for a baseball cap with a moisture-wicking cap of some kind, earmuffs or whatever for your ears if you need it.

In either case, whatever you choose (doesn't have to be high-end) go for something which ensures you have some form of visibility for safety reasons, and make sure your base layer is moisture-wicking - second layer can be something like fleece and your third and outermost layer is something that serves as a windbreaker.

If anyone wants further ideas on winter running, feel free to PM me. The key is to dress warm enough but not too warm - try to aim for dressing as though it's 10 degrees warmer than actual temperature because trust me; you WILL warm-up soon enough and if you over-dress you're screwed for the whole run.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    ill be switching to afternoon runs then so just grabbing my hoodie and taking off
  • sevsmom
    Options
    @Amy. . .I am familiar with running in colder weather and NOT over dressing. Made that mistake at a 5k last fall. Ugh! The thing is, I started running about 13 months ago and our winter here in OH was, well, NOTHING like usual. (Like, the crocusus were blooming at the end of FEB!!!) SO, a light weight unlined jacket with a long sleeve shirt was sufficient most of the winter. I'm a little on the cautious side right now expecting mother nature to pay us back for the easy winter!! LOL

I'm definitely leaning towards light/bright colors with some reflective elements even though most of my winter runs are in the afternoon. Can't be too careful!!

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!! :-)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have a Landway jacket that sort of like neoprene with a fleece liner. It was fine from -5C to about +5, maybe 10. Would probably go for a bit colder as well - I only started in February, so haven't had it through the brunt of winter yet. It was ok in light rain too. But then, since February, it's rained on about a total of 5 of my running days, and I go out every other day.
    I do have to do something about reflective strips or the like, all my gear so far is plain and no too bright...
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Winter can be cold around here. While last year was extremely MILD, we can have temps in the teens & 20s. I generally will wait til the afternoon to run then, but it can get pretty darned cold. I'm in to the lighter colors, as well. I'm not sure about the hood. . . . .

I like to run in snug fleeces... like the ones sold at Target or Old Navy... they alos make great dry fit type jackets for temps in the 40s. I did purchase a "wind breaker" type jacket by NorthFace at the NYC Marathon Expo but I haven't needed it yet... could be good for chilly rainy days.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Personnally I hate them

I go for a running top, shorts and thats it. I find any of the jackets I have tried just get you too hot, make you sweat buckets and slow you down

During winter when it gets too cold, i use UnderArmour gear under my shorts/top.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago and I ran last winter also. I used a Columbia jacket when it's really cold. This year my plan is different. I plan on getting a couple compression tops to keep everything tight. Runners nipple sucks. Then I can wear a a sweatshirt or jacket depending on how cold it is. But my rule in if it's 25 degree's or lower I don't run outside. I have a Fila jacket that is light weight.
  • knitchals
    Options
    So, I have been running for years and like to run outside. I have trained for marathons throughout the winter. It gets pretty cold here in the winter (like I learned you really can't run too long outside at 14 degrees F b4 your water bottles freeze shut). I usually only layer pieces and really don't wear a running jacket. I have found them to be too hot (even sub 20). I would recommend getting a couple really good wicking fleece pieces - no hoods, I use a hat. I have some Under Armour base layer pieces that I only use if it is below 30.
    Under Armour, Nike, LLBean, Title Nine all have good layering pieces and jackets too if you prefer. Happy Running!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am in northern NJ and it can get cold I use a Brooks with "shelter technology" it was about $100 it is rain resistant outer fleece inner zippered pockets draw string waist the inside of the pockets are mesh.
    I deal with the temps by alternating the garments I wear under the jackets I can go from a dry fit SS nike shirt to 2 differnt duofold thermals depending on the temps I have worn this down to about 5 degrees with the thermals to as high as 45 or 50 with the SS shirt only any warmer than that I cant wear a jacket as I am still pretty big and can be a ridiculous heat generator.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in northern Ohio so i kinda know what the weather is like there. Now I live in Kentucky so it's not as cold here. I have several of the cold gear jackets that Under Armour makes that i wear which are pretty good for both kinds of weather.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    when you are talking about running it's never boring!!! :-P (yea that's so sad for me to say haha)
    Well i swear by a nike running hoodie http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13148678
    It has thumb holes so you can keep hands warm without gloves, a hood but it doesn't flap around, it's form fitting, zippers up or down if you get too warm and is fleece lined but dry wicking to wick sweat away. It is absolutely awesome! i wear it mainly 40 and below because I get hot while running and tend to do a long sleeve underaumor above 40. I add 20 degrees to the temp and dress for that temp. This jacket is probably perfect for most people from 50 and below. LOVE IT!! and worth all $80 (if you have coupon then you can get it cheaper of course :-)
    I did just buy a rain coat from under armour, havent used it yet but in the fall it will probably be perfect.
    Happy running :-)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I live in MA and it can get pretty cold here...last winter I went to the gym more than being outside but I have 2 jackets-one from Old Navy that works well and one that I just got at an Adidas last weekend and haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Both have the holes for your thumbs which I love, especially when I'm running.

here's the old navy one: the only picture I could find said it's a girls' which I know when I got it it wasn't but it was in March or earlier
    old-navy-girls-ruched-running-jackets-48635468.jpg

Here is the adidas one (although I got a different color)
    X24522_01.jpg

I love anything from Adidas, Columbia or Northface. I have a really old Northface one too that I haven't used in forever cause it's so old I don't want to wash it anymore than I need to:smile:
  • ChristyRunStarr
    Options
    when you are talking about running it's never boring!!! :-P (yea that's so sad for me to say haha)
    Well i swear by a nike running hoodie http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13148678

I agree! I went to this link and it doesn't work, I was looking forward to seeing the one you were talking about, it sounds like something I'd love!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    haha it seemed to not like the word d i ck it's from that sporting goods store replace the 4 **** with d ic k lol hehe it censored me, i feel like a rebel lmao
    or if you got to d1ck's sporting goods (spelled right not with a 1) it's product: Nike Women's Cold Weather Running Hoodie
    Item Number: 13148678
  • ChristyRunStarr
    Options
    haha it seemed to not like the word d i ck it's from that sporting goods store replace the 4 **** with d ic k lol hehe it censored me, i feel like a rebel lmao
    or if you got to d1ck's sporting goods (spelled right not with a 1) it's product: Nike Women's Cold Weather Running Hoodie
    Item Number: 13148678

LOL that's awesome!