under calcium

Options
I'm always coming in under my calcium and over my protein allowances. What foods will help balance me out?

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical condition that needs you to stay under a protein limit, don't worry about going over your proteins in MFP because MFP's protein setting is pretty low by default.

Unless you are avoiding dairy, the best way to get calcium is through milk and milk products. You can try skim or low fat cheese if you're worried about your fat intake. Mozzarella, parmesan, feta etc. And of course milk itself. 4oz. of most cheese will give you 70-80% of your daily calcium needs. One cup of milk will give around 30%.

If you're vegan, you can try tofu, spinach, white beans. Fortified oat are also good calciumwise.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    one cup of almond milk will give you 45%.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    change your macros so your protein is higher.
  • featherweight221
    Options
    Very informative--thanks!
  • featherweight221
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan so answers about veggies -

Calcium -

Dark greens - kale, collards, mustard greens, radish greens...I always have a pot going (or the leftovers on hand). That, and I second the almond milk.

Protein -

Broccoli, beans/all legumes (will also give you calcium), potatoes (yup), asparagus, cauliflower, brussel sprouts