Losing Weight and Quitting Smoking at the same time??

Options
Opinions PLEASE:

I know I'm making a major life change but I really want to quit smoking and ive been slowing down for about 5 months now. That's a change I consider to be just as hard as what im doing now. People say you put on weight by quitting and I definitely DON'T WANT TO DO THAT! But the pros of quitting are more than enough for me to have decided to quit (I can sing better, breathe better and put cancer at bay a little longer and hopefully prevent the other diseases plus all this heart business will greatly Improve) but ive been smoking since I was 14 and I'm 24 in 2 weeks. I want to give myself this birthday gift. BUT is it a wise decision to lose weight and quit smoking at the same time? Do you think it will be too big of a task? Opinions please even just on the thought of me quitting.

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    No reason not to quit, just have to use any tools you have at your disposal to make sure you aren't over eating.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is a risk of gaining weight but then a little weight gain is a whole lot better for your health than not quitting smoking.

If you add some exercise it will make the quitting easier and help stop weight gain.
  • dedwardnoe
    Options
    I quit smoking two weeks ago, the same day I decided to change my life and eat healthy. At first I tried to walk and was out of breath within ten minutes. Today I walked 5 miles, without any problems. I think quiting smoking was great. I don't know if it's the smoking or the healthy eating, but I've never felt better.
  • SnTsMum
    SnTsMum Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would really like to quit smoking but I tend to binge eat to compensate. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and dig deep. Binging makes me feel as bad as smoking does.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the X Factor: it will make you not want to overeat or smoke. Try walking an hour a day to start.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just finished C25K Week 4 tonight, and I KNOW I will have to quit smoking to finish all 8 weeks. I've set September 1 as my quit date, but I think it may happen earlier than that (like possibly this weekend). I quit in 2001 for 7 years, so I know it's possible. I'm hoping that the last two months of healthy eating and exercise will combat the urge to munch.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's been years, but I read a book called Stop Smoking Stay Skinny. The concept is to back off smoking gradually and to eat frequently to keep your blood sugar level so you have fewer cravings. It's mind over matter though. You have to BELIEVE 100% that you will quit and you will. I've been smoke free since 1999. Once you commit fully you will do it. Weight gain is not inevitable.
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    Exercise is the X Factor: it will make you not want to overeat or smoke. Try walking an hour a day to start.

^^^^^^^^TRUTH^^^^^^^^^
    Don't know why or how but it works!
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the inputs i exercise a lot already and thats what made me cut back as much as I have but I will step it up. I just wondering if 2 major life changes were ok to do because I definitely dont wanna just say SCREW IT and go back to smoking and eating whatever I want without caring. I believe I can quit but it will be done gradually hopefully over the next 2 weeks. I ve got a plan and so far its seems to be doing its job

once again thanks everyone for you input and support
  • Freebird_
    Options
    One a day at time. You'll get to a point where you will get so tired of smoking an you'll just quit cold turkey. I gained a little weight at first but it's all about gaining control not letting it control you. So I think it's a great idea that you're trying to quit. Trust me I was smoking since I was about twelve or thirteen and the day I quit it was such a relief. And when you start walking you'll definitely feel a difference. Especially jogging. You can do it :)