'ideal' weight for 5 ft tall female?

Options

Replies

• FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and this thread has me thinking I may want to rethink my goal weight :cry:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    there is no ideal, just find where you're happy.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    OK, first thing "Big boned" does not exist.
    people definitely seem to have different frame sizes, for whatever reason (bones, muscle, structure, etc.). If that wasn't the case everyone would look good at the same weights, but some people look better weighing less and others weighing more. I don't think she said she had "big bones".
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and this thread has me thinking I may want to rethink my goal weight :cry:

I don't know if you're joking, but it's funny that I found your post between the following two posts. If you're going to follow anybody's advice in this forum, try following theirs:

"My mum is 5'0 and regardless of age when she weighs 50kg (110pds) she is at her happiest with her weight and shape. "

"there is no ideal, just find where you're happy. "

Of course, you have to also be in a healthy range, but don't try to reach a weight goal bc other ppl who are the same height are that weight.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    OK, first thing "Big boned" does not exist.

2nd, your ideal weight is dependent on muscle, and what you are looking to accomplish....

if its just weight, then 100 pounds may be right....BUT would you rather weigh a 100 pounds and be a size 6 or 115 and a size 4? judge yourself with the mirror and your clothes fitting better. Weight is only a number

I'm never sure what people mean by "big boned". If they're saying their bones weigh 30lbs. more than the bones of others, then no-- that's ridiculous. But there are certainly different sized frames, and people of the same height can have ideal weights that are quite different.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/ This is a really useful resource! It can give you a *general* idea of what you *may* look like at a weight. :-) Rather than 'big bones', you should take your proportions into consideration. For example, I am an hourglass - however, when I gain weight, a LOT of it goes to my thighs, face, and biceps. My stomach generally stays just about the same. When I lose weight, it comes off of my face, then arms, then thighs; so you can roughly guesstimate how much weight you'd need to lose by observing your body. When I'm at 120, I can look at my thighs and go, "Yeah, I need to lose about five more pounds." I am not 'big boned', but when I am heavier you may think I am! I think I have a normal human skeleton beneath all of this! :P
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and aiming for 115lbs
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm irritated to see people think "big-boned" doesn't exist. I have a large frame, as do all the women in my family, and I will forever weigh more than my small framed friends because of it. No if, ands, or buts about it.... I may be 4 foot 11 but I'm still a LOT of bone! (Yayyy for less likely osteoporosis!!!)

Anyway, that being said, 100 pounds is definitely more for someone with a small frame. My "comfort" weight (the one I maintain with healthy eating and usual exercise) is about 122 and is listed as healthy for me. When truly dedicated, I've gotten down to the low 1-teens. Never been under 113 pounds since I was a child before "womanhood" hit me. I'm sure I could get there, but it's harder to lose that last little bit and keep all my muscle.

I'd say anywhere from 100 to 125 is healthy for someone of our height, depending on body composition. And with the bigger frame, the higher end is just fine. Obviously, if you were very delicate, 125 may be too high for you--but we don't seem to have that problem.

Also, make sure you feel okay each step of the way! Some people hit near 100 and start catching every cold or feeling weak. They also occasionally lose their periods...that being said- obviously that'd be a sign that you need to gain more back.

I personally don't see someone of our size having that problem though :)
  • JenLakersFan
    JenLakersFan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    With how my body frame and composition is..with wide hips and all, I'd have to be around 115-120.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually sure how tall I am, I'm between 4'11-5'1", I haven't had an 'official' measuring in a long time.

Anyway. I'm getting conflicting information. One website said 125lb is a good weight, one says 100lbs!

According to Livestrong.com's method of checking, I have a larger bone structure.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm going to be ecstatic to get under 150lbs for the first time since highschool!!

I am 4'11" and I reached my maximum height when I was 11 and I have been a variety of weights. I weighed 100 pounds for several years but I personally was not comfortable at that weight. I have broad shoulders and wide hips, for example, I have girlfriends that are only a few inches taller than me and about 20 lbs heavier, but I still wore a bigger jean size and had a lower BMI than they did. I was most comfortable at around 130-140 pounds and even though a BMI chart says that I am overweight, my primary doctor never once said I needed to lose weight. Once I got over 160, than he became concerned....anyway our goal for me is 130-140. Sorry that was so long, but as a short person who has been very thin and fat, I had to find what I was most comfortable and confident at.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm irritated to see people think "big-boned" doesn't exist. I have a large frame, as do all the women in my family, and I will forever weigh more than my small framed friends because of it. No if, ands, or buts about it.... I may be 4 foot 11 but I'm still a LOT of bone! (Yayyy for less likely osteoporosis!!!)

Anyway, that being said, 100 pounds is definitely more for someone with a small frame. My "comfort" weight (the one I maintain with healthy eating and usual exercise) is about 122 and is listed as healthy for me. When truly dedicated, I've gotten down to the low 1-teens. Never been under 113 pounds since I was a child before "womanhood" hit me. I'm sure I could get there, but it's harder to lose that last little bit and keep all my muscle.

I'd say anywhere from 100 to 125 is healthy for someone of our height, depending on body composition. And with the bigger frame, the higher end is just fine. Obviously, if you were very delicate, 125 may be too high for you--but we don't seem to have that problem.

Also, make sure you feel okay each step of the way! Some people hit near 100 and start catching every cold or feeling weak. They also occasionally lose their periods...that being said- obviously that'd be a sign that you need to gain more back.

I personally don't see someone of our size having that problem though :)

Thank you for saying this! I also have a large frame and as a short person it kind of sucks, but you just have to deal with it. I have very broad shoulders and an hourglass shape..most days I feel like a linebacker because I don't have a very "feminine" body type.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other "big boned" little ladies -- the women in my family are "dense" and "sturdy" ... anyway that's our euphemism for "big boned." I'm 4'11 and so is my grandma. We're currently both 128lbs but we carry it completely differently -- I can wear a misses size 4-6, while grandma is most comfortable in size 10-12.

My highest weight was 148lbs. That's considered obese but I didn't think I looked like a stereotypical obese woman -- no FUPA, no cankles, no overhang of fat around my jeans (muffin top bulge, yes, but not to the extent where it folds and hangs over the side). I am very well-endowed, breastwise, so when I was heavier I was basically a giant ball of tits and tummy. Very round and jolly.

My lowest weight since high school has been 113lbs. My forearms and calves got very slim, my upper arms were shapely, but my thighs and stomach were still pretty jiggly. I felt that my legs took on the appearance of a chicken drumstick -- wide and round up top and skinny on the bottom.

I couldn't maintain 113lbs and I gained back to around 125-128lbs ... and that's with exercise and calorie counting ... If I get lazy I immediately gain weight back. When I was on Weight Watchers, they told me my "ideal" weight was 90lbs and I basically laughed and quit on the spot. My personal ideal is to be able to maintain 110lbs, but my realistic ideal is to maintain 120lbs. That's anywhere from 3-7 juniors, 2-6 misses, or L-XL kids ... and that's basically what I wear now.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Typical charts for an adult female around that height will place you at 100-125 pounds. It all depends on your body type, body fat %, etc. though. Thus why I wouldn't place so much emphasis on the numbers on the scale.

I'm 4'10" and am at 102 pounds, wearing a size smaller than when I was anorexic at 89 pounds. (Typical skinny fat look). I'm shaped more like a gymnast now and have less body fat. When I was at my heaviest, 125+ pounds looked like a lot on me. I have that short leg and torso look that doesn't look good with extra weight.

You might have long legs, torso, and arms and as a 5' woman you could still pull off 120 pounds.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There's is small, medium and large framed. I'm 5 ft and medium framed so 110-112 should be my weight. Wrap your pointer finger and thumb around your wrist if they touch your small framed (106-110 pounds) if they almost touch your medium framed (110-112 pounds and if they aren't even close to touching large framed (113-116 pounds)

Oh, thanks for the info. Just realized I'm large framed.:)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i am 4 11.5 and i feel i look my best at 121. i still have an ample bust and some curve to my hips, but my waist is thin. however, my body seems to prefer the 133-135 range as that is where i seem to end up when i quit logging/watching what i eat. that 12-14 pounds makes a huge difference in how i feel about my body.
  • VickiIsabelle
    VickiIsabelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 4' 11.5" and weigh 91.7 pounds (41.6 kg). I have a small frame and currently live in Asia where the women are very skinny. Here I look larger than women my height. I am currently trying to tone up and will be giving myself 3 pounds leeway. I have been 99 pounds and on me; I look terribly obese. It all depends on the person.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm five foot exactly. My goal weight is 125. I got to 132 a couple years ago, and if I could get there again and stay there, I'd be happy with that.

I weighed 106 on my 17th birthday. 125 a year after my son was born. Now, at 48, if I can be a fit and solid 130, both my doctor and I will be thrilled.

Yes, I could go for 105, because that would be healthy, too, but I'd have to be obsessed with diet for the rest of my life to pull that off. But I'm pushing 50, and going into those Senior years, it's healthy to carry a small reserve.
  • Emteami
    Emteami Posts: 1
    Options
    As of right now, I weigh about 97lbs and at a size zero. I don't feel as if I look like a stick. I actually look like I weight more than I do.It really does depend on your body shape and where your weight is coming from. I have been pretty active. My body fat is less than average. My weight tends to be more at my bottom half, giving me an hour glass shape... so my thighs are bigger therefore I look like I can weigh about 106 or so. I'm looking to maintain my weight. Its been so hard. I either loose too much or gain back more than I want.
  • PugBug20
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and my ultimate goal weight is 100-102 pounds (although 105-107 is a more realistic goal). I weighed 134 about four months ago (I gained the freshman 20), and as of this morning, I weigh 112. It is so much harder to lose weight when you are my height because, a.) you burn less calories than taller people, and b.) 5 pounds on my frame looks like 20 pounds on a taller person. I will never be stick thin (I was still curvy even at my lowest weight, 104), but I would like to get rid of the pudge on my arms, stomach, and thighs (or at least turn it into muscle). It only took me two months to lose the first 20 pounds, but the last 10 pounds are not budging, ugh. Wish me luck. As for the "ideal" weight for a 5'0 female, I would say it depends on the woman and her build. It also depends on your body fat percentage and muscle mass (i.e., 150 pounds of lean muscle does not look the same as 150 pounds of fat). No two bodies are the same: two women can be the same exact height and the same exact weight and still look nothing alike. Remember, weight is just a number. If you like what you see in the mirror and you can fit into your jeans, that says much more than the number on the scale. :)