kettleball?

So what's the deal with kettle balls? I heard they're much better than regular free weights, and help to burn more calories. I literally know nothing more about them. I'm looking for better ways to be able to work out at home and burn more calories. Any information you have on them would be appreciated!

Replies

• Rosco63
    Rosco63 Posts: 37
    There are lots of online kettlebell workouts. Most moves use your whole body and you get a cardio workout at the same time. Great workout in a short time, a little goes a long way. Kettlebells rock. You dont need super heavy ones either. They are also inexpensive.
  • andreardr
    andreardr Posts: 7 Member
    There are some kettle bell workouts on YouTube and such. I don't do all of them but I do like picking mine up during the day and doing some light arm curls and the swing moves they have. I sit at a desk all day and it makes me feel like I'm getting something in the way of strength training before I go to the gym.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    It's a good way to combine cardio and strength training. I would recommend starting off with 15-20 lbs and following a video by Lauren Brooks or Sarah Lurie, or better yet finding a certified trainer so you know without a doubt that you'll have proper form. Or check out the book The Swing by Tracy Reifkind. Myomytv.com also has good workouts, not sure about instruction though.

Anything less than 10 lbs isn't really going to do much for you. It's also important that you really look into proper form if you don't go to a trainer, because you can hurt your back pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing. I wouldn't say they're inexpensive, either... mine weren't, but they were worth it to me. Overall I really enjoy working out with kettlebells, but they aren't miracle workers and I'm not sure if they're better than free weights... you do get more cardio in with kettlebells and build up your endurance though.