Is it safe to work out?

Options
I went to the doc today for a double ear infection. He took my vitals 4 times and asked if I'd ever been diagnosed with a heart murmur (I've never had heart problems, but always have low vitals) and how much coffee I drink (maybe a cup a day). He listened to my chest for a good 3-4 minutes, gave me meds for my ears, and sent me on my way.

I was in such a fog from being sick, that I didn't think much of it until I left the doctor's office, and now I'm all freaked out. He didn't say for me to follow up, or that he was just checking for a heart condition because of meds he was going to prescribe... nothing. I work out often to tone up, and I have a trainer. I never feel sick or dizzy when I train.

Is it dangerous to work out? I don't even really know what he heard my heart doing. Right now, all that doctor has done is plant a seed in the head of someone with a history of anxiety attacks. I had no heart problems before, but now my heart is leaping out of my chest! :-\

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If your doctor did not indicate that you have any heart problem - then there is no reason to think you have a heart problem.
    If you are still concerned, go back to see him, or call his office for clarification.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Totally with Ruby. Doc didn't say it so you're probably fine, but this is a question for him, not us.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just call his office and say exactly what you just told us. Some heart murmurs can be problematic with exercising, others are fine (depends on where in the heart the murmur is coming from). I wouldn't panic, but for peace of mind it is worth checking with him.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Only your doc can tell you - give him/her a call to clear it up.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Second all the advice above - give the doc a call, he should be able to tell you whether you're ok to work out or not. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur every year as a kid when I went in for my high school sports pre-season physical exams - the docs always said it was minor, congenital and nothing to worry about whatsoever.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Is it dangerous to work out? I don't even really know what he heard my heart doing. Right now, all that doctor has done is plant a seed in the head of someone with a history of anxiety attacks. I had no heart problems before, but now my heart is leaping out of my chest! :-\

CALL the doc and ask him... some antibiotics can damage your heart and it may be possible that he was asking those questions because he wanted to avoid that.... it is also possible that he thought he heard something... only he knows for sure

you dr *should* usually be the one you ask these questions to (assuming he is someone you trust and you aren't looking for a different one)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I love it when doctors pull crap like that. Um, not.